Rating An Icon: The Madonna Discography Rate - The 80s (No end and no beginning...)

Come on, girls! Do you believe in love?

Everybody, get up and do your thing!

Celebrate!

I made it through the wilderness…

Feels like I’m going to lose my mind…

…If I ran away, I wouldn’t have the strength to go very far…

…and it feels like home.

Last edited:
Re: SURPRISE! Rating An Icon: The Madonna Discography Rate - The '80s (Voting Open Until 31/12/14)

148d8o8.jpg

It’s here.

Look, you’ve trifled with Mariah. You’ve trifled with Britney. You’ve trifled with Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Katy, and all other kinds of pop waifs, critiquing their material within an inch of its life, pitting them against one another in a fight to the death where only one song can ever reign supreme. You’ve trawled through discographies that span decades, or half-decades, or in some of the more questionable, """niche""" rates, discographies that span about six months and have been thrown against albums they have little to no connection with. However, this is isn’t about those other girls. This isn’t about you. Hell, this isn’t even about me (It is about me.). This is about our Queen, and as scholars, knights, servants and jesters of pop music, we will all pay our respects.

With a career spanning over thirty years, Madonna doesn’t really need any introduction, but I’m going to give her one anyway. Three hundred million albums sold, thirteen No.1 singles in the UK, countless world tours that gross hundreds of millions of dollars and can still fill out stadiums to this day. She is basically the most successful female musician of all time, and the material that we’re going to rate in this thread was the foundation of it all. Some of the best, most revered, most iconic pop music lurks within the links found below. Music that will be remembered forever; music that has influenced countless other artists; music that we, as members of Popjustice, have taken into our pop-loving hearts and fused it with our very being. Can you feel it? I sure can. This is Madonna in the 80s, and she was unstoppable.

THE RULES

When I took the reigns for this rate and all the other decades that will follow, I tried to think of something that would make it memorable, something that would really make it stand out. There’s admittedly not much you can change in the rating system without getting into various forms of headache forming trickery, but I had it. I had cracked it.

With all the strife recently over when it is acceptable to give a track a full 10/10 marks, I had the answer to our woes. It’s not uncommon for a denizen of Popjustice, when completely and utterly dazzled, enamoured, and enraptured by a track, to declare it an 11/10. This signifies that a track stands above all else. There are other tracks that brilliant and perhaps even downright perfect, but an 11/10 track is the one. The one you’d stake your life on. The one that, if you had to listen to only one song for the rest of your life, it would be that song. So these are our usual rate rules, with one key difference:

- Rate the below songs with a score between 0-10.
- Half marks are allowed, and hell, even encouraged if it makes your scoring more accurate.
- Commentary is also encouraged. Give me the tea.
- Don’t fucking troll and force me to throw your votes out.
- One track, and one track only, can be granted the sacred 11/10 score.

There are multiple benefits of the 11/10 score. For one, it forces everyone to pick a clear, solid winner. Too many times people end up throwing 10s out like candy, only to suddenly have a preferred winner when a rate reaches the Top 5, and all of said Top 5 have been given 10s. People can continue to throw out as many 10s as they want, but they will need to essentially pick the one song they want to throw all their support behind. Additionally, it could be a potential game changer for certain tracks. It could push your not-so-popular favourite into the Top 10, split a tie, or even decide the ultimate winner. There’s so much power in the 11/10. Hell, it could even lead to some averages going beyond a 10.

Iconic, right?

…At least, it would have been, had some creature known as """gezza76""" not snaked the idea before I got the chance to do it.

Imagine my fury when I accidentally clicked into a rate for something called The Smiths earlier this week, only to find people giving out 11s, and this """gezza76""" character blowing such an iconic game changer in one anti-climatic sentence:

VOTING SYSTEM

You can award each song a score between 0-10 and one lucky track can receive an 11.

Christ. How about a bit of pride in presentation?

Now, some gezza76 stans are probably going to be on my case, saying that I stole the idea, saying that I’m totally influenced by gezza76, saying that I owe all my artistry and skill to gezza76. Well, they would be wrong. I actually got an email from gezza76’s people and they were entirely okay with me doing this, so all of you should be as well. And besides, it doesn't make me unoriginal. It makes me fucking smart!

Anyway, let’s fucking get on with this.

THE MUSIC

madonna-thefirstalbum1983albumcover2.jpg

Madonna (1983)

Ah, the one that started it all. Filled to the brim with glittering 80s synths and Madonna sounding as young as she is old in the present day, there’s certainly a handful of strong contenders here that are loved by many. But how will it fare against more revered, more famous material?

1. Lucky Star
2. Borderline
3. Burning Up
4. I Know It
5. Holiday
6. Think of Me
7. Physical Attraction
8. Everybody

likeavirgin.jpg

Like A Virgin (1984)

This was the point where Madonna really started to churn out the mega hits that would go on to define her career. Widely considered to be one of her poorest albums and going by Madonna’s own treatment of the material, she most likely agrees. I’m using the tracklisting from the 1985 re-issue of the album, as it gives “Into The Groove” a proper place on an album and, let’s face it, this album needs all the fucking help it can get.

1. Material Girl
2. Angel
3. Like A Virgin
4. Over And Over
5. Love Don't Live Here Anymore
6. Into The Groove
7. Dress You Up
8. Shoo-Bee-Doo
9. Pretender
10. Stay

Madonna-Vision-Quest-Soun-486541.jpg

Vision Quest Soundtrack

Not ever seen the movie these two tracks are connected to, and quite frankly, I don’t plan on it. They’re both pretty good in my opinion though. Will they get lost in the shuffle though?

1. Gambler
2. Crazy For You

Madonna_-_True_Blue-%2525255BFront%2525255D-%2525255Bwww.FreeCovers.net%2525255D.jpg

True Blue (1986)

Something like True Blue would most likely qualify as a Greatest Hits package for anyone else, but when you have a career as long as Madonna’s, it’s nothing but a rather remarkable stamp in her history. Iconic single after iconic single, and probably as pure as her brand of pop music gets. Will it be dragged down by the less famous album tracks, perhaps?

1. Papa Don't Preach
2. Open Your Heart
3. White Heat
4. Live To Tell
5. Where's the Party
6. True Blue
7. La Isla Bonita
8. Jimmy Jimmy
9. Love Makes the World Go Round

10. Ain't No Big Deal*

madonna-whos-that-girl.jpg

Who's That Girl Soundtrack (1987)

Another one of Madonna’s leaps into cinema sees a surprisingly strong collection of tracks emerge. Some of these are even pretty big hits. Will they perhaps be crippled by the fact they’re soundtrack songs, and therefore perhaps not as well known and loved?

1. Who's That Girl
2. Causing A Commotion
3. The Look Of Love
4. Can't Stop

madonna-you_can_dance(1).jpg

You Can Dance (1987)

The only original song from the remix album. Poor dat.

1. Spotlight

likeaprayer1.jpg

Like A Prayer (1989)

One of Madonna’s most critically acclaimed albums. Rolling Stone famously stated that it was “as close to art as pop music gets” and it houses possibly her most famous track of the same name. Will Popjustice reward a slightly more difficult album, or will the lack of bops leave it praying for its life?

1. Like A Prayer
2. Express Yourself
3. Love Song
4. Till Death Do Us Part
5. Promise To Try
6. Cherish
7. Dear Jessie
8. Oh Father
9. Keep It Together
10. Spanish Eyes
11. Act Of Contrition

12. Supernatural*

*The b-sides will be excluded from overall album scores, but since they were official releases, we will be rating them along with the rest of the original material.

VOTING WILL CLOSE AT THE END OF 2014. Good luck, and don’t fuck it up.

Last edited:
he/him
Re: SURPRISE! Rating An Icon: The Madonna Discography Rate - The '80s (Voting Open Until 31/12/14)

I am perched. JUSTICE FOR THINK OF ME.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his

Perched, parched, and prepared.

YASSSSSSSSSS (don't ban me).

So excited - I didn't realise all her 80s albums were less than 12 tracks. Madge gets me!

Lucky Star for #1.

By eye, I see 3 (maybe 4) 10s and my 11 obvs.

Shout out to my bae RainOnFire for moving me up once again and allowing me to BEYONCÉ my rate. I'll rig the results in your favour, boo.

How do people feel about the 11/10? Do you think we can all unite behind one song enough to see a 10+ average? It's not right that Taylor currently holds all our faves' wigs in rates as well as real life.

The 11/10 element done gone and changed up the whole game. What the fuck???!

Only a legend. I'm talking about Madonna, but RJF can have a bit of that afterglow.

You have no idea how excited I am for this.

Also, gezza can suck it.

Also also, I assume you're doing her discography, yeah? This is just the first chunk?

Sam

he/they

No I think I will take part in this. I know more tracks than I thought.

Also, gezza can suck it.

Also also, I assume you're doing her discography, yeah? This is just the first chunk?

Yes, I'll be doing every decade, then perhaps come kind of mega rate at the end with all the best tracks. Or maybe I'll just make a Top 10 from the highest scorers across the four (!) decades.

Yes, I'll be doing every decade, then perhaps come kind of mega rate at the end with all the best tracks. Or maybe I'll just make a Top 10 from the highest scorers across the four (!) decades.

Good. I know I give a hard time on occasion, but I wouldn't want anyone else to do rates this important. We can play around in the sandbox with those lessers, but I trust Her Madgesty will be safe in your claws.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his

The 11/10 is very cool. It'll definitely ask a bit more of us when it comes to our choice. I'm in!

Borderline is obviously the clear winner in all of this.

Like A Prayer for the win obviously.

This should be a good one for sure.

I know it's showing your hand a bit early, but I miiiiight give dat holy 11 to 'Into the Groove'.

I am sensing some thunder stealing going on here and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

In other news, I swear to God, the other day - as I watched the 10s roll in on my rate (link in my sig go there now voting closes in a little more than three days thanks) - I thought, "Man, it would have been interesting if I had allowed people to give a higher score to one song only...or if I only allowed one 10."Go figure.