*REAL* WINNER REVEALED. Battle Of The Big Girls Vs Rate Extravaganza

I’m ready.

Ladies, gentlemen and and the majority of you that fall somewhere between, the time is upon us. It’s time for what promises to be an affair that will split loyalties, musical preferences and possibly a few wigs, (Probably those of the blue variety) The Battle Of The Best is here.
In our joint voyage towards the shady light , our mission statement is clear. What really is the Holy Grail of our beloved Pop Girls work?
Coming together for a roster that hasn’t been seen together since…well the last time we had a big rate, five of the most recognisable ladies of the Pop world will be duelling to the death. Among them we have a group of multicultural, and in some cases multitalented women, who provide an example of what it means to be excellent, and in some cases what it means to mediocre. However, for all intents and purposes, only their very best work will be carried forward, and it is up to you to determine what that is.

So without any more hesitation, it’s time to bring out the girls, and the albums that will be representing them in their quest for glory, and more importantly, your quest for forum vindication. Let’s begin shall we?

Born This Way - Lady Gaga
lady-gaga-born-this-way-cover__oPt.jpg

First up making her way to the ring, from Manhattan NYC (with traces of Italy) it’s Lady Gaga. ‘Born This Way’ was released in May 2011, following her #1 Worldwide hit, ‘Express This Way’. Gaga broke record sales in the United States, and managed to shift over a million copies in her opening week. It has since gone on to sell over 6 million across the globe. There were some other notable singles from the album, but they had failed to make as much of a dent in the charts as the lead did. The record itself is the opposite of subtle. It’s every bit as brash and loud as it is experimental and of course it’s Dance Pop to the core. It’s Lady Gaga etching her name into the zeitgeist with every coloured crayon she had in her box, even the snapped ones. It feels like the clearest mission statement our fair Lady has unleashed to this day. Whether its to your personal taste or not, I think what can be agreed unanimously is that ‘Born This Way’ is a runaway train of a record, and whether or not you choose not to get on, Gaga’s gonna run you over with it anyway.

1.) Marry The Night
2.) Born This Way
3.) Government Hooker
4.) Judas
5.) Americano
6.) Hair
7.) Scheiße
8.) Bloody Mary
9.) Black Jesus + Amen Fashion
10.) Bad Kids
11.) Fashion Of His Love
12.) Highway Unicorn
13.) Heavy Metal Lover
14.) Electric Chapel
15.) The Queen
16.) You & I
17.) The Edge Of Glory

Rated R- Rihanna
Rihanna_-_Rated_R.png

Next making her way to the isle (this time walking instead of swimming) we have Rihanna! The fashion model is coming armed with a relic from her colourful past, and it’s Rated R. Released to a world who were waiting silently to hear what she had to say after THAT incident, the former Shutup And Drive chantuese came at us with a completely overhauled image, and as the album demonstrated, a different sound too. Rated R is far and away Rihanna’s bravest and most sonically interesting album, It was a record that made a cold steel statement, often lyrically touching upon her increasingly displayed personal life. Rihanna must be applauded for becoming almost Phoenix like and rising to transform herself so that she was no longer just a popstar, she was a weapon.

1.) Mad House
2.) Wait Your Turn
3.) Hard
4.) Stupid In Love
5.) Rockstar 101
6.) Russian Roulette
7.) Firebomb
8.) Rude Boy
9.) Photographs
10.) G4L
11.) Te Amo
12.) Cold Case Love
13.) The Last Song

Bonus Track
14.) Hole In My Head

The full album is available to stream in a handy little playlist here.

Teenage Dream - Katy Perry
Teenage_Dream_album_cover.png

The gothic undertones are completely banished, as the scent of candyfloss begins to descend. Enter Katy Perry. Of course it’s Teenage Dream representing Katy. I mean, what else could? In many ways, it’s the purest of Pop when compared to her rivals. Feelings towards the former gospel diva seem to have fallen since Prism, however her fellow Christian Sistren, Laura Vandervooben has been doing the utmost in the #1’s rate, so it seems love is still here for Ms Perry. Especially considering this era is generally viewed with such fondness. Katy had unwavering commitment to making everything about this era feel like a big event, and it certainly gave pop music the sugar shot to the arm that it needs from time to time.

1.) Teenage Dream
2.) Last Friday Night
3.) California Gurls
4.) Firework
5.) Peacock
6.) Circle The Drain
7.) The One That Got Away
8.) E.T
9.) Who Am I Living For?
10.) Pearl
11.) Hummingbird Heartbeat
12.) Not Like The Movies

Bonus
13.) The One That Got Away (Acoustic)
14.) Part Of Me
15.) Wide Awake
16.) Dressin' Up

Again, the full album is available for listening here.

Britney was due to be introduced first, but her battery was running low so we just popped her on char…. I_CANNOT_USE_REAL_WORDS_PROPERLY_ nope. There will be none of that type of shade in this rate! Britney is without a doubt one of the most iconic Popstars… Ever. Her work during her peak and the momentum surrounding the Spears brand was unprecedented, in fact I would lose track at the amount of records Brit shattered with ease in the early 00’s. That’s why representing her will naturally be, Britney Jean.
No, really it’s In The Zone. Some may have argued Blackout to be Britney’s best work, but overall if you take into account career peak and her own personal investment, this has to be the era that best defines Britney as the Show stopping starlet that we all know and loved.

In The Zone- Britney Spears
In_the_Zone.png

1.) Me Against The Music
2.) (I Got That) Boom Boom
3.) Showdown
4.) Breathe On Me
5.) Early Mornin'
6.) Toxic
7.) Outrageous
8.) Touch Of My Hand
9.) The Hook Up
10.) Shadow
11.) Brave New Girl
12.) Everytime

Bonus
13.) The Answer
14.) Don't Hang Up

Changed the game with that digital drop
Know where you were when that digital popped
I stopped the world
Male or female it makes no difference… I stopped the world
WORLD STOP
*pauses for a slayful exhale*
Carry on.

tumblr_n7u6bwmuVR1r6qguso2_250.gif

And that’s pretty much how that went.

Being accompanied by Mama Tina (looking sickening in a House of Dereon ensemble) and Julius, its the Queen Bey herself. I feel the above verse was a better summarization of what the Self Titled era did, so let's jump right in.

BEYONCE - Beyoncé
beyonce_album_cover.jpg

1.) Pretty Hurts
2.) Haunted
3.) Drunk In Love
4.) Blow
5.) No Angel
6.) Partition*
7.) Jealous
8.) Rocket
9.) Mine
10.) XO
11.) ***Flawless
12.) Superpower
13.) Heaven
14.) Blue

Bonus
15) 7/11
16.) ***Flawless Remix Ft Nicki Minaj
17.) Ring Off *
18.) Grown Woman
19.) Standing On The Sun

*I could only find a pitched version of Ring Off on Youtube, but y'all know where to go.

So our five brave warriors will now begin their campaign for your 10’s to prove they are The best of the be----------

Eaux.

Is that the doorbell?

The girls look up and are left stunned as they glance up at the sound of trotting stiletto's

article-0-0BC3E0FA00000578-909_468x325.jpg

Taylor-Swift---Arriving-at-her-NY-Apartment--04-300x420.jpg

Not Taylor!

It looks like she’s arriving through the audience passing out handpicked presents, perhaps to sway potential voters?
A last minute addition perhaps, but 1989 just feels right.
Or maybe it doesn’t and I just want to throw the kitchen sink at you. For all intents and purposes, if we are trying to find the BEST of what the Pop girls have to offer, I would wager that not only has Taylor joined this elite club by smashing through our favourites with no respect in terms of sales, but she also put out a genuinely brilliant collection of songs, so the artistic merit is also there. It deserves to be here.

Taylor_Swift_-_1989.png

1.) Welcome To New York
2.) Blank Space
3.) Style
4.) Out Of The Woods
5.) All You Had To Do Was Stay
6.) Shake It Off
7.) I Wish You Would
8.) Bad Blood
9.) Wildest Dreams
10.) How You Get The Girl
11.) This Love
12.) I Know Places
13.) Clean
14.) Wonderland
15.) You Are In Love
16.) New Romantics

*You know by now, I am unable to link you to 1989. Most of us have been in the game long enough to know where to find it, but I'm not gonna get any infractions by telling you. In regards to the recent mess in Laura's rate, any disproportionate scores that are unfair in this regard will not be counted*

We’ve met all of the participants. SIX artists are looking to win you over. We of course will have our winning song at the end of this, but also as we are looking at specific bodies of work, I will also be announcing the winning album, by accumulating all of the averages, to find out who really gifted us the best of the best. Who made you squirm? Who made you skip? Who had you acting like you had just caught the Holy Ghost? The power is in your hands. Or at least it is when I open voting in a week. 0-10 are all at your disposal, also the ever elusive 11 will be your ace card. Use it wisely.

Of course, commentary is also welcome, and in this case firmly encouraged. Get it ALL of your chest and let me know how you really feel.

Whenever you're ready.
(Voting opens next week)

Last edited:
Re: Battle of the Big Girls: The Best Of The Best Versus Rate

*LEADERBOARD*

28)Touch Of My Hand 8.06
29)Judas 8.01
30)Heaven 8.00
31)Cold Case Love 7.98
32)Blow 7.94
33)All You Had To Do Is Stay 7.93
34)Me Against The Music 7.90
35)Flawless Remix 7.78
36)Clean 7.77
37)Wildest Dreams 7.70
38)Grown Woman 7.66
39)G4L 7.6
40)The One That Got Away 7.57
41)TeAmo 7.54
42)Wonderland 7.53
43)Blue 7.51
44)Standing On The Sun 7.4
45)Pretty Hurts 7.36
46)Early Mornin 7.35
47)Electric Chapel 7.29
48)You and I 7.21
49)Wide Awake 7.19
50)The Last Song 7.17
51)Last Friday Night 7.16
52)Hair 7.14
53)How You Get The Girl 7.07
54)I Wish You Would 7.05
55)No Angel 6.99
56)Not Like The Movies 6.98
57)Hummingbird heartbeat 6.95
58)Showdown 6.83
59)Americano 6.78
60)This Love 6.74
61)Fashion Of His Love 6.71
62)Brave New Girl 6.60
63)Born This Way 6.57
64)The One That Got Away acoustic 6.56
65)I Know Places 6.55
66)Rocket 6.51
67)Highway Unicorn 6.41
68)Welcome To New York 6.4
69)Outrageous 6.36
70)Shadow 6.35
71)California Girls 6.35
72)The Hook Up 6.34
73)Part Of Me 6.33
74)You Are In Love 6.3
75)Shake It Off 6.27
76)Don’t Hang Up 6.25
77)Bad Kids 6.25
78)Superpower 6.24
79)Photographs 6.22
80)Rockstar 101 6.13
81)Black Jesus 6.12
82)Ring Off 6.07
83)The Answer 6.36
84)Bad Blood 5.96
85)7 11 5.92
86)Firework 5.91
87)Mad House 5.89
88) I Got That Boom Boom 5.78
89) Circle The Drain 5.77
90) Who Am I Living For? 5.30
91) Pearl 5.25
92) Hole In My Head 5.24
93) Stupid In Love 5.17
94) Dressin' Up 4.9
95) The Queen 4.89
96) Peacock 4.03

Last edited:

Ready to put Overrated R in its place. Team BEYONCÉ, obviously.

Edit: Ocean, sis, if you want to reserve another post, tell me and I can delete this one.

AMAZING twist!!!

I think I'll have to vote now. In the Zone is obviously the right choice to represent Britney, by the way. I'd argue that Baby/Oops represent her imperial period better, but they are shit apart from the singles, and Blackout is shit in general. (Not sorry.) Zone is the best compromise in terms of quality and impact.

He / Him / His

1. Born This Way
2. Beyoncé
3. 1989
4. In the Zone
5. Rated R
6. Teenage Dream

All rather good, mind.

1. 1989
2. Teenage Dream
3. Born This Way
4. SLAYONSE
5. In the Zone

Something like that. The top three could easily switch places, though. Never heard Rated R so I can't rank it at the moment.

1. Rated R
2. Born This Way
3. Beyonce
4. 1989
5. Teenage Dream
6. In the Zone

None of them are bad, though. Time to get listening and producin' them walls of text in advance, I feel.

1. 1989
2. Teenage Dream
3. Born This Way
4. SLAYONSE
5. In the Zone

Something like that. The top three could easily switch places, though. Never heard Rated R so I can't rank it at the moment.

Girl how do you have the nerve to call it 'SLAYONSE' then place it at #4?

Why aren't we rating the Standing On The Sun remix?

*RJF pipes up to say it's shit*

Girl how do you have the nerve to call it 'SLAYONSE' then place it at #4?

Three reasons:
1) I'm referencing Nekci
2) The "SLAY" element is more for the element of surprise than an objective assessment of its quality
3) It's up against three of my favorite albums ever

He / Him / His

I can rate every track here and now. Maybe I will.

Initial scores:

Born This Way - average 7.18, 10x1 + my 11, 0x1 (8.14 average without the songs I always skip)
Teenage Dream - average 7.44, 10x3, 0x1 (an incredible 9.15 average without skipped songs)
1989 - average 7.56, 10x4, 0x0 (lowest score is a 2; 8.54 average without skipped songs)

Last edited:
He / Him / His

I won't send my votes in just yet as there's a couple of tracks I'm a little undecided on (mainly bonus tracks / album fodder I've all but forgotten etc.) but at the minute:

Gaga has five 10s, Beyoncé has four, Britney and Rihanna each have three whilst Taylor has two and Katy has one*.
Conversely, Katy received two 0s and Gaga received one.

*So, yeah, theres a grand total of eighteen tracks I'd happily see take the thing.

D

Deleted member 3416

I swear if Teenage Dream (the song) wins or anything from BEYONCE...

Island

Staff member

I'm gonna assume this for my scores

1. 1989
2. In the Zone
3. BEYONCE
4. Born this Way
5. Rated R
6. Teenage Dream

I might surprise myself. Let's see how this will do.

Sam

he/they

This is the first time I'll be listening to Rated R and In The Zone. Educate me, sis. Ed-uke-ate.

In all seriousness, I have a vague idea already of where my scores and favours shall align. Colour me excited.

He / Him / His

I didn't realise we were getting an 11 here too!

gezza76, ha continued impact.

he/him

Amazing introduction Ocean! I love you for this surprise addition! Team Born This Way/1989 all day!

Mark this day in history everyone, it's when Taylor officially became one of the Big Girls.

RJF and I were actually talking about doing the 11 thing before gezza76, but he hacked me and stole the idea.