Rebecca Black - Let Her Burn

First giving Maneskin a 2.0 and now this... Pitchfork must really be desperate for clicks. Both being acts everyone knows but that don't have the kind of fanbase that could cause some serious backlash for a bad review is surely no coincidence.

I hope she doesn't let it get to her at least, the review feels especially nasty considering everything she's been through and what it took to get where she is now.

Pitchfork becoming part of the 2023 trend of punching down. Not surprised.
sub-buzz-2864-1579807916-22.png

charli%20xcx%20praying%20shirt.png

etc

I'm gonna listen now and in for an exciting ride! Hell yeah!

Pitchfork is really really awkward in a way their reviews sometimes focus to talk about anything but the music itself. They overanalyze every step and reaction in search of some cultural-shifting-paradigm when sometimes… it’s just not about that. Then it makes no sense and the music just gets lost.

it’s really Hit or Miss, with many misses recently.

I need to listen to this in full but loved everything so far. All my friends are loving it as well. She’s really on the right path.

he/him
I just find it so bizarre that they’re questioning the motives of a queer woman finding a new direction and musical identity within “hyperpop” as if it’s not a very queer focused genre? Like, what a strange take. Not to mention that most of the artists they compare her/the songs to aren’t even hyperpop. This wouldn’t bother me if it was anyone else, but knowing Rebecca’s history and following her for over a decade and seeing her growth and obvious passion for what she does, it just feels like they’re swinging at low hanging fruit, and it’s upsetting.

What is it with these Pitchfork contributors writing these borderline personal vendetta reviews... lol.

And not to infantilise Rebecca but it's also just not very nice to someone in her position? She's gone through such severe online bullying and humiliation in her teens, she's just found a community to embrace her as musician, she's having the best time of her life on tour, going from strength to strength and has the hunger very few display these days in such a boring ass pop climate. Such a taste-making platform continuing the bullying rhetoric further is a bit infuriating. Grow up?!

Agreed that it reads mean just for the sake of being mean.
What is it with these Pitchfork contributors writing these borderline personal vendetta reviews... lol.

And not to infantilise Rebecca but it's also just not very nice to someone in her position? She's gone through such severe online bullying and humiliation in her teens, she's just found a community to embrace her as musician, she's having the best time of her life on tour, going from strength to strength and has the hunger very few display these days in such a boring ass pop climate. Such a taste-making platform continuing the bullying rhetoric further is a bit infuriating. Grow up?!

This is my main take, too. She's such an easy target, and even if she isn't fully developed or bulletproof yet, she's come a long way from Friday. A review like this can completely kill momentum for someone who's genuinely trying, and actually seeing effort from a pop girl nowadays (looks at my avi) is refreshing enough, even if they aren't reinventing the wheel.

I’m sorry but I need to rant for a moment -

The fact that anyone could actually hate a literal child for…releasing a silly song for fun? That’s literally it? And bully her so severely for an entire decade that we’re honestly lucky she’s still here? People are fucking vile. This pitchfork review isn’t the only offender but it’s a perfect example of the bizarre hatred that some people have for her for quite literally no reason. It’s actually nonsensical to me. I’m very confident that if another artist had put this album out, the score would be much higher. Because it’s a great album! She’s doing an incredible job, especially given how cruel people still are towards her. She actually gives a fuck about her work and the people it connects with and while that’s all that really matters at the end of the day, she still deserves so much better.

Anyway. I listened through the album once a few nights ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. So far I’ve only really returned to the songs that stuck out to me most on first listen - Crumbs, Doe Eyed, and What Am I Gonna Do With You are excellent. I’ve heard nothing but positive things about the album as a whole from people with opinions that actually matter, so I’m excited to revisit and dive into the album further.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
It's so apparent how people want to draft and drive the narrative for people that have done nothing but enjoy their growth. Pitchfork is now clearly the predecessor of these new digital podcasts - people talking because they think that they have an audience. It's like...who gave you the right?!

Rebecca made one of the greatest albums of the year so far and they're pressed that they couldn't get a step on it ahead of time, so they have to knock her back after the fact to seem as if they were always "in the know". It's transparent as hell. Their Lana del Rey criticism, their Madame X score... like honestly. Stop paying your monthly server membership. Hang it up!