Record Company Work Experience? | The Popjustice Forum

Record Company Work Experience?

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by poploz, Mar 17, 2007.

1. I know some members here have connections with, or work for, record companies, and wondered how easy it would be to gain a work experience placement during my gap year next year?

Are there any particular companies who are more accommodating or who have a better reputation for placements?

Thanks very much for any help

Edit: I should include a couple of details really, as they will affect it! I'm 18 (19 in September) and live 50 minutes (train) away from London, but could relocate temporarily.

2. vasilios

vasilios Guest

Why not pick the ones you already like and send a letter or email or just show up?

3. Sounds fair enough, who would I address the letters/emails to?

I was thinking Polydor, Fascination (since they are new) or Island.

4. Does anyone know how to get into A&R?

5. Popjustice

Popjustice Staff Member

As a rule most places who offer work experience (especially over-subscribed and notionally 'cool' places like magazines and record labels) have so many applicants that when they do offer places they're to the brightest and the most motivated of the bunch.

With something like a label you should have a clear idea of what it is you want to do there. Would you want experience in A&R, marketing, the press office, radio and tv promotions, the postroom?

Some offer graduate trainee programmes and some have quite formal work experience application procedures so you're best off phoning the main switchboard for whichever label you fancy and asking to speak to human resources, so they can tell you what you need to do. You could also write a letter to specific PRs but you'll need to say more than 'I want to do work experience when can I come in'.

If can can look past the supposed glamour of working with your favourite popstars you will probably learn a lot more and probably be able to experience a lot more work if you apply to an independent label to start off with. It'll be the difference between being someone stuck in a corner on the 3rd floor of an enormous building with only one person overseeing you and knowing who you are, and being one person in a two-room office where everyone knows who you are and can show you the ropes.

The Music Week Directory (which your local library may have) has contact details for all the labels and music business companies listed...

P

6. Thanks Mr. Popjustice!

7. And don't believe it will be as glamorous as everyone thinks it is.

Yes, it is rewarding, and you do feel like part of something big, but it's still sitting in an office making tea and answering the phone like any other office based job.

8. Mmm tis really. Sending out CDs on motorbikes and booking flights etc. Still a good experience anyway !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.