Record Fairs | The Popjustice Forum

Record Fairs

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Iggypig, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Never been to one before, are they any good?

Do they mainly sell vinyl, or do they sell CDs and better yet, cassettes? Do they cater to all genres and years?

Also, are there any good ones in London?

2. Yes and no. They are very, very vinyl-centric these days (good for me), but there are also usually a few stalls selling relatively cheap promo CDs. Just be prepared to meet some "interesting" people if you do decide to attend. The best ones are usually the VIP ones, although there are smaller regional ones that are good too.If my memory is working correctly then I think there's a VIP one in Westminster in the next week or two?

Having said all that, if you're feeling brave try Utrecht. It's the biggest fair in the world (also held alongside an absolutely HUGE antiques fair) and has literally millions of CDs/vinyls for sale. I had to take someone to help me carry all my purchases last time I went.

3. Depends what you're looking for. I used to enjoy them for random CD singles but of course you can get pretty much anything you want off Amazon Marketplace for 1p now.

4. Thanks very much for the replies.....it's mainly cassette singles i'm after, which aren't so easy to find on ebay/amazon. I'd love to hear more about these 'interesting' people.....very intrigued.

5. Haha... I don't want to spoil the surprise, so I'll leave that for you to discover for yourself. I once served David Gest at a record fair if that's any clue.

Re. the cassette singles: what are you looking for? I've got boxloads (literally!) sitting in my storage unit. They are getting increasingly difficult to find these days although charity shops are probably the best for them.

6. I'd like to go to more, but they're always at inconvenient times. Like before 4pm. Anyone want to run an all-night one?

7. Oh, mainly 2000's pop, all the acts that stopped releasing cassettes halfway through their career.

My holy grails are....

allSTARS* - Things That Go Bump In The Night
    Atomic Kitten - Follow Me

also looking for Lolly - Per Sempre Amore and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and S Club Juniors - Sundown, Automatic High and Don't Tell Me You're Sorry.

I'm itching to get to a fair now, just to see the weird and wonderful!!

8. I'll have a look through my boxes and see if I can find any.

Google VIP fairs to check up on the next London dates. They're quite frequent, although I don't think you're going to have much luck cassette wise. I can't remember the last time I saw a cassette at a record fair. Collectors really don't seem to like them for some inexplicable reason.

9. There's the traditional bank holiday one in Reading on Good Friday. Only ever been to it once, at the fag end of a wet and windy Sunday afternoon some years back.

10. I was probably there too. As with all fairs though, you need to be there before they open to have a chance at the best stuff. That said, I've picked up some fantastic bargains late in the day at Reading.

11. Before they open? I'm still asleep then!

12. Thanks some good info on that VIP site......as i'm looking for cassettes of artists nobody in their right mind would buy, I presume I wouldn't need to get there so early.

Unfortunatley working on Good Friday, so the Reading one is out, but the one in Olympia is looking good.

13. I'm making arrangements for the Olympia one too.... same day as Record Store day though and I want / need the Garbage 10" (even if the content is particulalry uninspiring).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.