Ricki Lee - “Point of No Return” + General Discussion

I'm really loving the song.

I'm glad she changed it up a bit.

But I'm ready for Raining Diamond and Do It Like That sequels.

See, I feel that it fits in with these eras perfectly, especially along the lines of ‘Raining Diamonds’ and ‘Burn It Up’. It has that anthemic empowering message with a rousing powerhouse chorus that just totally sucker punches you with those killer vocals. When you play these songs together, ‘On My Own’ fits so perfectly with the her narrative.

I am also excited to learn that this song was written and produced by Aussie songwriters DNA, who have been behind many huge Aussie hits (Delta, Veronicas, Samantha Jade more). On her Instafeed, Ricki has stated that they have written and produced a whole album’s worth of material. She also stated that they were never aloud to work together for the last ten years. So I wonder what the story is there?

he / him
I am also excited to learn that this song was written and produced by Aussie songwriters DNA, who have been behind many huge Aussie hits (Delta, Veronicas, Samantha Jade more). On her Instafeed, Ricki has stated that they have written and produced a whole album’s worth of material. She also stated that they were never aloud to work together for the last ten years. So I wonder what the story is there?
It'd make sense that DNA would end or not renew their contract with Sony Music Australia, tbh. During the 2010s, Sony Music Australia was the home of the talent show winner via The X Factor and they had many Australian pop girls on their roster. Now that the talent show format is basically dead, aside from the Australian Idol revival and The Voice, and their roster is a lot more vacant, it makes sense for them to part ways.

It'd make sense that DNA would end or not renew their contract with Sony Music Australia, tbh. During the 2010s, Sony Music Australia was the home of the talent show winner via The X Factor and they had many Australian pop girls on their roster. Now that the talent show format is basically dead, aside from the Australian Idol revival and The Voice, and their roster is a lot more vacant, it makes sense for them to part ways.

Thanks, I had a feeling this might have been the case but was curious if there were other mitigating circumstances preventing the two working together.

Hopefully, if this can build momentum and become a hit, we should see further material from Ricki. What with presenting Australian Idol and a radio gig under her belt, she definitely is getting herself back out there in the public eye. Now, she needs to land a few TV slots to promote the song and give it some media attention.

he / him
Hopefully next year - especially if she is working with DNA who have written a few of the Australian entries.
Of the nine Australian entries in Eurovision history, DNA have co-written four ("Sound Of Silence," "Don't Come Easy," "We Got Love" and "Don't Break Me").
Are DNA the PWL of Australia only cheaper and without hits?
They've had many hits locally, but their biggest hit internationally probably remains Dami Im's "Sound Of Silence."