Ricki Lee - “Point of No Return” + General Discussion

he / him
I've always wondered if big established producers value the time of up and coming artists and are willing to offer them their best material. I remember reading that Jessica Mauboy didn't exactly have the best time working on Get Em Girls because of that.

That being said, Ricki herself posted about her collab with RedOne and hyping it up to be a "hit," so maybe it was a hit, but simply didn't fit the album that it was intended for. It sounded like she planned to give it a "Wiggle It"-esque release, which never happened.

Well, Kylie passed on Toxic... but she accepted Get Outta My Way, which was originally meant for Leona Lewis, I think.
Well, I remember him feeling pretty enthusiastic about them being on Kylie's new record... and then it never happened, so the poor guy got severely mad because his team promised they would get released!

But I believe that "Get Outta My Way" plays a big role in why we didn't get RedOne songs, quite a few popstars showed interest in wanting that one song and I imagine Parlophone splurged a good buck on it so she could have it. The 3 RedOne tracks were recorded in January and she only met with Cutfather in February or March. Apparently close to the deadline, some other dance tunes from Aphrodite ("Cupid Boy, "Can't Beat The Feeling") were sent to her A&R and they all might have replaced whatever RedOne has previously contributed.

It's interesting how many artists worked with the guy but the songs never saw official release, especially at what was considered the height of his fame.

he / him
Well, Kylie passed on Toxic... but she accepted Get Outta My Way, which was originally meant for Leona Lewis, I think.
"Get Outta My Way" was never intended for Leona Lewis. However, apparently, fellow X Factor alumni, Alexandra Burke, was in a bidding war for it against Kylie, Britney and Pixie Lott, which Kylie won.

"Get Outta My Way" was never intended for Leona Lewis. However, apparently, fellow X Factor alumni, Alexandra Burke, was in a bidding war for it against Kylie, Britney and Pixie Lott, which Kylie won.
No disrespect to either artist but I feel the best artist won in terms of ‘Get Outta My Way’. Alexandra is an incredible singer but I am not sure I could see her singing this song as well as Kylie. Both her version and the video are iconic and really is up there as one of her best songs in the last few years.

Does anybody know if Ricki Lee was also offered any songs but went to other artists?

he / him
No disrespect to either artist but I feel the best artist won in terms of ‘Get Outta My Way’. Alexandra is an incredible singer but I am not sure I could see her singing this song as well as Kylie.
After listening to the demo by Alexandra Segal, I feel like it's easier to imagine what Alexandra Burke's version would've sounded like.

Apparently, it was also pitched to Little Boots. I don't know how true that is though, considering she has co-written every track that she's released.

After listening to the demo by Alexandra Segal, I feel like it's easier to imagine what Alexandra Burke's version would've sounded like.

Apparently, it was also pitched to Little Boots. I don't know how true that is though, considering she has co-written every track that she's released.

OMG, superior version!

Amazing performance on Idol.

I'm really intrigued to see where the album charts.

Not sure it will out peak Fear & Freedom. But I hope it manages to at least be Top 15 to match Dance in the Rain.

Well she did it gang. On My Own peaks at number 3, becoming her highest charting album ever.

Genuinely shocked and pleased with this.

Especially as last month Jessica Mauboy could only manage a number 10 peak.

he / him
It's genuinely impressive that Ricki has just achieved her highest charting album this far into her career, especially now as an independent artist.

I never realized how poorly her debut and sophomore albums did—both missing the Top 20, peaking at No. 30 and No. 37 respectively, despite her singles doing much better then than they do now.

My Ricki Lee vinyl has just arrived in the UK and it looks stunning!

1. Cannot believe how quickly this was delivered from Australia!

2. Cannot believe I hold in my hands a Ricki Lee vinyl!

Stunning!
Mine arrived Saturday 16th March too. Was really impressed considering the estimate said Friday 22nd March. Plus, it was packaged much better than Jessica Mauboy's which took the same amount of time to arrive. Ricki-Lee arrived in perfect condition.It is a slight shame the CD doesn't have a full booklet and is just 2 pages, but then again there was no CD to begin with until she responded to fan demand.

Last edited:
It's actually a very well crafter pop release - shame about the signed CD (it can be only shipped if you couple it with something else) not being able to be imported from Australia!

he / him
DNA Songs are the producers of the whole album, right?
Yep, they co-wrote and produced the entire album. I think that they were previously an in-house production and songwriting team for Sony Music Australia, largely working with The X Factor Australia alumni who was signed to Sony Music Australia like Samantha Jade, Johnny Ruffo and Reece Mastin.

It seems like their exclusivity contract with Sony Music Australia has now expired though.

A Ricki Lee album entirely entirely produced by DNA sounded like a dream but I’ve found the entire album super underwhelming. I Was Made for Loving You is good but the rest is super forgettable.

Tbh the majority of DNA's productions have been pretty faceless for a long time now so the album sounds exactly how I'd expect a DNA-produced album to sound in 2024.