Rihanna - 9th Album

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised there isn't a legit Greatest Hits up for ordering already. Surely streaming exists but if she'd have a setr on CD and vinyl up right now she'd surely move a fair amount of copies. It would also likely be the go to for locals who would want to listen to her biggest hits now so it would definitely chart well?

I am actually surprised it didn't happen (yet) just because her label should love the extra money with minimal investment.
Streaming exists and The Essential Rihanna is right there in Spotify I guess but I would love a curated collection with her best and the biggest songs.

I just watched it again and I liked it a lot. Maybe it's lowered expectations from reading this thread first and I get people would probably want a bigger deal made out of some songs instead of running through everything but I genuinely prefer Rihanna's sense of cool and style over Katy-type cringe overproduction with dancing sharks and inflatable lions to mask lack of charisma and performing ability. Just when I thought it was sagging and needed a climax, she put on that gorgeous coat and did Umbrella and Diamonds and it was a moment girls.

I thought the whole concept and aesthetic super modern and fresh (the staging as a main character a la Motomami tour) and that was always Rih's main selling point and she did deliver on that. Everything was just very tasteful.
But Rosalía was the main character. Dancers and stage won here by far.
Well it's the obvious answer when people mention a bad halftime show.
Disliking it because of your taste is one thing but calling it bad is just silly.
I don't think any of us expected her to compete with Beyonce or Madonna.
How about also mentioning Shakira and JLo who did the most and suceeded too?

The floating platforms were very impressive and I thought the camera work was exceptional - all of the camera team involved deserve a big chunk of that $7m. Also the dancers were incredible and did their best to up the energy levels on stage.

Yes Rihanna wasn't very 'dynamic' as a performer but like others have said, that's been her style since day 1. It was also a lot better than last year's performance (even though I love Dr Dre).

I don't think any of us expected her to compete with Beyonce or Madonna.

Disliking it because of your taste is one thing but calling it bad is just silly.
This will be the last post I make on the subject since this is the Rihanna thread but would you really take this cringefest over what Rihanna did?
katy-perry-the-more-you-know-05.jpg

Some of the reactions are weird.

It was a great show. Killer setlist, smooth transitions, interesting production flourishes (the Where Have You Been production continuing under her vocals on Only Girl? Slay!), unbelievable dancers and camerawork, cute hand and armography, the lewk... She's so magnetic she doesn't need to do a lot to put on a killer show. It surpassed my expectations actually.

Nope, her attitude doesn’t land at all. She looks so uninvested it’s off-putting.
Like this? I truly don't understand. Is it just because she was largely static? Do you want her jumping around losing her shit? I'm not seeing any issues with her "attitude".

Some of the reactions are weird.

It was a great show. Killer setlist, smooth transitions, interesting production flourishes (the Where Have You Been production continuing under her vocals on Only Girl? Slay!), unbelievable dancers and camerawork, cute hand and armography, the lewk... She's so magnetic she doesn't need to do a lot to put on a great show. It surpassed my expectations actually.
Yeah I thought it was a great Rihanna showcase. I didn't expect her to start throwing herself around like Beyonce, especially while carrying another human being and the moments she joined in on the choreo were cute. I don't get the lack of engagement comments since she looked genuinely happy and humbled to be there. I guess people wanted more camp and drama but Rihanna has leaned into minimalism since Anti and I actually loved the ultra modern and sleek staging like @spaceship mentioned. Her bulletproof discography and charisma don't need the bells and whistles. It just made me want more Rihanna.

I mean, this is impressive.

"What's My Name?" (intro)
"Bitch Better Have My Money" (contains elements of "Phresh Out the Runway")
"Where Have You Been" (contains elements of "Cockiness (Love It)")
"Only Girl (In the World)"
"We Found Love" (contains elements of "S&M")
"Rude Boy" (contains elements of "Kiss it Better")
"Pour It Up" (contains elements of “Birthday Cake”)
"Pose" (interlude)
"Work"
"Wild Thoughts"
"Birthday Cake" (interlude)
"All of the Lights"
"Run This Town"
"Umbrella"
"Diamonds"

I would've switched some interpolations with other songs, but ok.

All these "Even Katy..." posts are annoying. She has the second best HT show after J.Lo & Shakira. I'm saying this as a lifelong Madonna fan and I consider myself a much bigger fan of Gaga and Beyonce than Katy. Her brand might not be for you but the flow, execution, energy, creative variety of it all was 11/10.

Rihanna's setlist, staging, look were amazing too. But yeah, she didn't look like she wanna be there and that's my biggest no in a pop show.

I mean, this is impressive.

"What's My Name?" (intro)
"Bitch Better Have My Money" (contains elements of "Phresh Out the Runway")
"Where Have You Been" (contains elements of "Cockiness (Love It)")
"Only Girl (In the World)"
"We Found Love" (contains elements of "S&M")
"Rude Boy" (contains elements of "Kiss it Better")
"Pour It Up" (contains elements of “Birthday Cake”)
"Pose" (interlude)
"Work"
"Wild Thoughts"
"Birthday Cake" (interlude)
"All of the Lights"
"Run This Town"
"Umbrella"
"Diamonds"

I would've switched some interpolations with other songs, but ok.
I'd take that for a tour setlist with a few extras.

Status
Not open for further replies.