Rihanna - 9th Album

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had any criticism it was that musically it felt a bit flat. Moments that should have shook the stadium like We Found Love and Umbrella felt a bit rushed through, like ticking boxes.

I felt that too but, I think it comes down to her saying it's a continuous medley with no stops. We Found Love and Umbrella needed pause before the kick off for emphasis.

The lipsyncing was...not..that..bad? And it wasn't that much?

I don't even care, really but I've been reading the comments and watching the show, and I don't get what you all are saying... Genuine confusion, don't come at me.

I mean, it was all on track (it's the Super Bowl) but I didn't spot any mistakes. Those weren't lead vocals she was 'missing' they were the BVs?

I'm still baffled by the inclusion of All of the Lights. That's a song it just never even crossed my mind she would perform, when it started I was like "huh?". Sure it's a crowd pleaser, but she has so many if those nobody would have minded its absence, and even if he wasn't actually there, performing a Kanye West song just a couple of months after what went down last year just feels off.

Super Bowl is never intimate or personal however much you say 'hey Mom!' at a piano.
I'm not letting this pass! Gargoyle was back to seven years old patting at the keyboard in the family living room at that very moment, and if she didn't take you there maybe you don't have a heart.

latoya-right-now.gif

I posted a couple pages ago that she missed the point at 00:40 here. There was another key moment she just suddenly didn't sing a line. And what was live even? I think it was pretty much all pre-recorded. Which in itself isn't bad, they all did that.

I'm still baffled by the inclusion of All of the Lights. That's a song it just never even crossed my mind she would perform, when it started I was like "huh?". Sure it's a crowd pleaser, but she has so many if those nobody would have minded its absence, and even if he wasn't actually there, performing a Kanye West song just a couple of months after what went down last year just feels off.

Maybe she really likes the chorus?

I mean, it was all on track (it's the Super Bowl) but I didn't spot any mistakes. Those weren't lead vocals she was 'missing' they were the BVs?

There's a blink and you miss it moment in Rube Boy during the transition to the runway and a pretty blatant missed line in Run This Town.

There was lip syncing to a per-recorded track, it's not backing vocal because the quality is exactly like the "live" lines.

I posted a couple pages ago that she missed the point at 00:40 here. There was another key moment she just suddenly didn't sing a line. And what was live even? I think it was pretty much all pre-recorded. Which in itself isn't bad, they all did that.
She also lipped 'only thing that's on my mind' during Run This Town, despite there being a pause in the pre-recorded vocals.

Made by a Brazilian Baby as well. Thought it was cute.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I was hoping the full version existed as soon as it came on. Easily the highlight.

I also don't believe anyone who says their first thought regarding the pregnancy wasn't something like "oh we're never getting a fucking album are we" ddd
Well, I haven’t liked a Rihanna album since Rated R so my first thought was actually “guess she must really like ASAP Rocky”.

The condensed performance just confirmed to me what a legend she is, smash after smash… was the performance groundbreaking no, was it half-arsed - yes but she only gave birth like 9months ago and is already pregnant so it’s not an easy task for her! So I’m not too critical of it plus she’s never been at Beys level of performance so would never expect that from her.

It just makes me sad that she’s no bothered about music so much now as she is so talented, can’t imagine an album for years and years now and I did think this comeback would come with a surprise release

Well, I haven’t liked a Rihanna album since Rated R so my first thought was actually “guess she must really like ASAP Rocky”.

I was actually thinking about this earlier regarding new music.

Although I want new music I haven't really enjoyed much of what she's put out in the last decade, I'd definitely want songs like Don't Stop the Music/Disturbia/S&M/Only Girl/etc. I don't think that's something we'd get at all, and if it's like her more recent stuff ("anti-pop") then I can do without it nn.

He/Him
Aside from the energy I think if she looked more into it and looked like she enjoyed these massive songs maybe some enthusiasm would’ve come off as infectious. She just seems over it which is disheartening to see. Not everyone has her discography but it doesn’t feel like she appreciates it or seems proud. I know she’s chill but there’s chill and then there’s disinterest.

I found the performance a slog to get through. By 7 minutes I was checking how much more was left because I was bored.

She looks incredible though.

Status
Not open for further replies.