Rihanna - Rated R

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OuttaMyHead

Re: Rihanna - Rated R [Album Discussion]

I wouldn't say it's a crap album as such, But it doesn't exactly make me wanna go back and listen to it if that makes sense? I just have no desire to listen to it over and over.

I agree with both of you! It really hit me! And now 'Stupid In Love' has been hitting me hard as well... tonight it's been 'The Last Song' and 'Stupid In Love' in constant rotation, and I would have never predicted that. They're really growing on me big time, they're both very sad, yet so easy to relate to...

euphoria. said:
I agree with both of you! It really hit me! And now 'Stupid In Love' has been hitting me hard as well... tonight it's been 'The Last Song' and 'Stupid In Love' in constant rotation, and I would have never predicted that. They're really growing on me big time, they're both very sad, yet so easy to relate to...

For me it's been The Last Song & Cold Case Love on repeat. Listening to them back to back is really an emotional experience. And I agree that they are easy to relate to, the sense of loss in The Last Song is something I can connect to..

To me the album is perfect if its just this much:
Wait Your Turn
Stupid In Love
Russian Roulette
Fire Bomb
Rude Boy
Photogarphs
Gangster For Life
Te Amo
Cold Case Love
The Last Song

This would make it a perfect album for me. Perfect flow of emotion. Rockstar 101 and Hard are probably put in to make the album more commercial sounding, but i really didn't like them.

Sorry to be negative, but I found the album really weak on first listen. I quite like "Russian Roulette" and "Hard" is an obvious hit single, but other than that there's really nothing to grab my attention. Admittedly, I'm not a Rihanna fan, but I expected her to come with a few killer singles like "Don't Stop The Music" or "Umbrella" and they're just not there.

D

Deleted member 2432

Wait Your Turn, Hard, Russian Roulette, Fire Bomb and G4L are the standouts for me on this album so far but I love it. Totally unexpected.

This is an unusual album. I don't think it's great, and I'm finding it hard to say what it is.

In a nutshell, [in my opinion] all the songs are likeable but none are amazing. The songs people are calling "stand out" tracks, would be fine on any other album. The best tracks for me are 'Hard', 'Russian Roulette', 'Photographs' and 'Rude Boy'. The album is missing hooks, and I guess thats what I expect from my popstars. Many of the songs have untapped potential, 'Hard' for instance.

I suspect Rihanna was much more hands on with this record, and that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I think a lot has been invested in the image (which is crazycool), and the songs are undeveloped or just neglected.

Either way, I think the only way is forward from this record, now she has a discernible personality, song writers can craft songs inspired by her (see 'Blackout'). So roll on the next album.

xolondon said:
Cold Case Love classifies as amazing, I think.

Fair enough. I'd say its a cool song, and interesting production-wise. But too long and certainly not amazing. Epic, yes. Just my two cents.

DarkSacoura said:
Dag said:
What I want want want is what you want want want, give it to me baby like boom boom boom. Genius.

I was thinking about this all day while listening to the album. Do you seriously consider that line to be genious, or is that sarcasm? I sincerely hope it's sarcasm.

I think it may be the most profound lyric Rihanna has recorded.

She/Her

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the similarities between Cold Case Love to Losing My Way from Justin's Futuresex album. Just listen to that both songs back to back, it's quite an emotional experience.

Meathook said:
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the similarities between Cold Case Love to Losing My Way from Justin's Futuresex album. Just listen to that both songs back to back, it's quite an emotional experience.

I knew it reminded me of something! Thank you………

I'm all for progression and everything, but having listened to the album right through now twice, it's so far removed from her previous output that I think a lot of her fans won't 'get' what she's going for here and simply pass it off as shit. There are no care free pop songs ala 'Don't Stop The Music' or 'Shut Up And Drive'. It's not that the songs aren't good, they are just so different, especially the likes of 'Hard', which in my humble opinion is quite terrible. I can't see her having the same level of success with any of these songs. On a more postitive note, I do think the album is a grower. 'The Last Song' is probably one of the best songs she has ever recorded.

Meathook said:

Not sure I find them that similar, but I do love Losing My Way. "Hi my name is Bob, and I work at my job" is one of the best first lines ever!

Fire Bomb said:
I read somewhere that Rihanna wrote Fire Bomb all by herself. If this is true, then wow, etc!

If she did then WOW indeed.

I'm really really falling in love with this album. It's full of agression, passion and sadness and it flows amazing.
Poor Rihanna.

That's what wiki says, but you can never be sure until the album is physically out.
3. "Hard" (featuring Young Jeezy) The-Dream, Rihanna
4. "Stupid in Love" Ne-Yo, Rihanna
5. "Rockstar 101" (featuring Slash) The-Dream, Rihanna
6. "Russian Roulette" Ne-Yo, Rihanna Ne-Yo, Chuck Harmony
7. "Fire Bomb" Rihanna
8. "Rude Boy" Ester Dean, Rihanna
9. "Photographs" (featuring Will.i.am) Will.i.am, Rihanna

truman said:
Poor Rihanna.

Ah! I forgot to think of it that way!
To have written or co-written these lyrics then she really[/] must have gone through a lot this past year.
I feel sorry for her, now………

I

IotV

She does seem to have been way more creatively involved for this album. Good for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.