Rihanna - Talk That Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really disappointed in her. Why can't she just not make a song with the man that beat her to pulp, shouldn't be that hard.

Itty Bitty Piggy said:
What really annoys me is that I read an article earlier in the week about female gang members. And how the only way they really feel validated is by sleeping with all the male members, after being degraded, beaten and raped. The woman was talking about how the media and popstars often set such a one-sided and tacky view of women, that it never really gave them anyone to aspire to be like. She mentioned how this generation are in need of positive role models more than ever.

Then you have Rihanna, who has been littering her songs, tweets and imagery with gangstress mentality for the last three years, who has gone crawling back to her beater and recorded a song where her only valuable asset is her "cake".

It's disgraceful.

And before anyone starts with the "she didn't ask to be a role model" bullshit... Yes she flaming well did! When she signed that contract to a major label, she sold herself to becoming a public figure. If she just wanted to make music she could do it by touring her local bars/clubs, or pursue it as a hobby. A popstar wants more than just to make music. And with great power comes great responsibility, etc.

Anyone supporting this either hasn't thought it through fully, or is just doing it for attention.

Agreed.

Itty Bitty Piggy said:
1sjvxw.png

I think that picture says it all. I hadn't seen it before, but she looks a mess.

I mentioned her passing out due to alcohol a few months ago, and was laughed out of the thread. Then all the weed smoking, and now this.

I hope she gets some help soon.
Um...?!

You are aware that it's quite normal for a woman of Rih's age to get pissed and pass out right? And plenty of people smoke weed too. Doesn't mean she needs 'help', it means she's living her life.

Mvnl

Staff member
UnderPressure said:
You are aware that it's quite normal for a woman of Rih's age to get pissed and pass out right? And plenty of people smoke weed too. Doesn't mean she needs 'help', it means she's living her life.

Drinking until you pass out is normal behaviour for anyone??
I don't know any person who ever drank that much. And one of my best friend's an alcoholic.

I'm really horrified that she's actually gone ahead a done this. But on a positive note it's lovely to have a full version (even if it does feature a meat head). I can now delete that awful 1.20 track!

Mvnl said:
UnderPressure said:

Drinking until you pass out is normal behaviour for anyone??
I don't know any person who ever drank that much. And one of my best friend's an alcoholic.

I know plenty and they're all lovely happy people.

I'm just out of words. Even if I do enjoy Chris' music (yet) decided not to buy it since he's still the abusive person we all know he is) this is taking it too far. Rihanna's career will be affected somehow by this particular naft move, but there has to be some kind of mobile for all of this to happen.

Mvnl

Staff member
luluthecat said:
I know plenty and they're all lovely happy people.

Just to make sure: passing out is fainting right?
Not just falling asleep on a couch because you had one too many?

I know it's a ridiculous thing to get worked up over but this has REALLY worked me up! I don't think I've ever been more disappointed and frustrated in a major celebrity in years. It's not just the song itself, it's their brazen attitude over it, that cover is really bad, there's one half of me that dosnt want to comment because we're giving Rihanna and Chris exactly what they wanted, attention, but on the other hand I'm pretty furious. As a fan of Rihanna from the beginning Iv found myself wandering as of late because her attitude stinks, and this just seals the deal, echoing what most have said I couldn't care less if they made up behind the scenes, that's her business, but to release a song? and a song with THOSE lyrics and then to make matters worse they use that cover? just no. Itty Bitty Piggy articulated this in a much better way, but you get the point.

I must be hearing something different to everybody else, because I can't help but think this song is a tuneless piece of shit. With the coagulation of weirdly looped "Bad Romance" synths placed throughout all of the song (you know which ones, the ones that sound like a chainsaw gnawing through a hundred bones) and with most of the lyrics consisting of "Cake, cake, cake, cake, cake, cake etc) I don't know how this can be anything but the worst song on the album.

To me, the song itself is more offensive than the addition of Chris Brown, simply because it hurts my ears.

I am in shock.
I never really like Rihanna, but to be honest I had respect for her and the way she dealt with the whole Chris Brown thing.
Now I can only say: I hope this is the beginning of the end.
If she is so stupid to work with him again, she doesn't deserve the support.

What a role model.

It really isn't normal to drink until you pass out, how on earth anyone can say this is normal and okay, I do not know.

Itty Bitty Piggy said:
What really annoys me is that I read an article earlier in the week about female gang members. And how the only way they really feel validated is by sleeping with all the male members, after being degraded, beaten and raped. The woman was talking about how the media and popstars often set such a one-sided and tacky view of women, that it never really gave them anyone to aspire to be like. She mentioned how this generation are in need of positive role models more than ever.

Then you have Rihanna, who has been littering her songs, tweets and imagery with gangstress mentality for the last three years, who has gone crawling back to her beater and recorded a song where her only valuable asset is her "cake".

It's disgraceful.

The most uncomfortable thing about this whole affair is how it reinforces negative stereotypes about young black women and men - it's perfect ammo for racists.

The Rihanna I remember once admiring was cold, silent and emotionless, but that was part of her strength. She was a glaring, pouting enigma.

But then all this "thug lyfe" bullshit started and her fans, in the main, LAPPED it up (including scores of people on here) - because they somehow associated it with 'authenticity' as an artist ; She's so fucking HAAARRRRRRRD!!!! ETC. No she's not, she's just a silly little rich girl caught up in what she considers to be a glamorous, but entirely constructed and meaningless 'gangster' attitude. An attitude that was originally conceived as reasonable defence mechanism for young, projects-raised poverty stricken black kids who had NOTHING - not famous, wealthy pop stars.

For how long have her utterly moronic outbusts, her inability to communicate anything intelligent about the world she lives her, her phoned-in live performances or her regular displays of utter contempt for the audiences which pay her wages been DEFENDED by people who bought into the notion that her "just not giving a shit" was a good thing?

She'll reach 40 and look back and either be utterly embarrassed or too high to care.

RhythmNative said:
For how long have her utterly moronic outbusts...

regular displays of utter contempt for the audiences which pay her wages...

When has this happened? I'm genuinely curious as I don't follow her career closely.

Dr popBrit said:
RhythmNative said:
For how long have her utterly moronic outbusts...

regular displays of utter contempt for the audiences which pay her wages...

When has this happened? I'm genuinely curious as I don't follow her career closely.

Don't know about moronic outbursts, but she was pretty crap during some of the LOUD shows, appearing drunk or high etc....

R

Resi12

What does annoy me is all the "think of the children" shit bugs me. If I had a daughter Rihanna would be the last person ever I would want her to aspire to be. All her tweets are of drinking, smoking weed, nasty tattoos, cursing and talking mad shit. Even her music, from Rated R on was hardly kid friendly. You all act like she was some sort of Taylor Swift virgin until now but no, that's not how she was so stop acting so shocked. If children are really mirroring Rihanna then that's their parents fault for letting the media raise their kids. Parents are role models to their kids, if you don't think you can be one then don't open your legs.

Also, the whole Chris Brown is the spawn of Satan. I mean yes what he did was messed up but are people forgetting others like Sean Penn and Madonna who beat her with a baseball bat? Are you planning on picketing his movies too?

All I am saying is, it's their shit. Why do people feel the need to be so involved in it all because they are celebrities, I mean yes an opinion is always entitled but all the dramatics of burning CD's? Like really? How old are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.