Rihanna

I was having a look at Loud on Spotify the other day because of the Teenage Dream vs Loud talk in the Katy thread, and I was really surprised to see S&M has nearly as many streams as Only Girl and nearly double What's My Name, like it really didn't feel anywhere near as big as either of those at the time.

He/Him
What’s My Name felt wayyyy bigger in the UK than S&M during the era. Although nowadays in pop bars/clubs S&M seems to get played more!
I don't know, maybe it was just me but every single felt absolutely inescapable for the whole era, even at the tail end with California King Bed and Cheers. She was so big in 2011 every song was getting played regardless of whether it was the current single or one released 6 months earlier. Add in Love The Way You Lie and We Found Love (which yes is technically more Talk That Talk but it came literally a month after the final single from Loud) and you physically could not avoid her. The UK ate her up big time.

I don't know, maybe it was just me but every single felt absolutely inescapable for the whole era, even at the tail end with California King Bed and Cheers. She was so big in 2011 every song was getting played regardless of whether it was the current single or one released 6 months earlier. Add in Love The Way You Lie and We Found Love (which yes is technically more Talk That Talk but it came literally a month after the final single from Loud) and you physically could not avoid her. The UK ate her up big time.
It was a very successful album campaign for her!

Staff member
Wasn't S&M used extensively for some Challengers trailers? That might be reason why it's caught on again. And it smacks so xxx

My (American) husband is always so surprised when I tell him about the chokehold Rihanna had the UK in. He doesn’t believe me when I say that girls/young women across the UK were dying their hair red in 2010 literally because of RiRi.

Kinda love that my three years at uni were soundtracked by Rated R in first year, LOUD in second year and Talk That Talk in my third and final year. Every single night out, Facebook photo album and BBM status message was influenced by Rihanna’s music. Gah, what a time!!!