Rina Sawayama - Hold The Girl (2nd Album) | Page 19 | The Popjustice Forum

Rina Sawayama - Hold The Girl (2nd Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Lucas, Nov 13, 2021.

1. She is such an amazing performer, loved it.

Txetxu and Sleepycat like this.
  2. A cute Ava Max kinda bop.

I was hoping this era would era would be the one I’d start to truly stan. I get her appeal and like everything I’ve heard from her to a degree, but a lot remains… lacking elevation. To me.

Marquis, Blond, ItBeats and 8 others like this.
  3. This is high on Spotify New Music Friday - I hope that helps translate into actual streams. I think now is definitely her best chance to break out of underrated fave and into the proper big pop girl arena.

K94, Dijah., 4Roses and 10 others like this.
  4. 2014

2014 Staff Member

I really hate that choreography dd, she deserves better.

superloves, ItBeats and luluthecat like this.

5. I can’t believe she’s about to embark in her BPG era!

slaybellz, Lander, Dijah. and 26 others like this.
  6. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Also something about the production reminds me of Beat It? I can't unthink it dd.

ItBeats and RMK like this.
  7. This song is just silly fun, I like it a lot.

slaybellz and lushLuck like this.
  8. I thought I was the only one! Isn’t it the same sound throughout “This Hell” the same as the opening chord(s) of “Beat It”. The synth before the beat kicks in and the guitar riff starts? I don’t know how to describe it really.

drewsky and 2014 like this.
  9. Yeah, it is. I didn't hear it at first, but someone noted it elsewhere yesterday and I did end up recognizing certain elements.

Mjg0806 and 2014 like this.
  10. The one thing I can criticize about the song is that the production just doesn't hit hard enough. It's like they've mastered it two degrees too soft. I love everything else about it.

11. I also hear the Hannah Montana theme song a little nn.

slaybellz, K94, Dijah. and 10 others like this.
  12. Why would you do this to us? Now I can't unhear it.

Tony Lamezma likes this.
  13. Perfect bop.

collxtion and superultra like this.

14. I don't know why but this is killing me

Lander, Verandi, K94 and 23 others like this.
  15. I love Rina but that icky country-rock chord progression on the chorus kills this for me. I understand that's literally what she's going for, but my ears just find it gross.

Still looking forward to the rest of the album though.

Verandi likes this.
  16. I like this but it could've leant into more of the 2000s fuzzy guitar/electroclash elements and given us an indie sleaze revival moment. The "pop girl tries on country aesthetics" is a rite of passage that I'm tired of at this point.

ItBeats and Isobel like this.
  17. Maybe it’s because I grew up in a very toxic religious environment, but I love this!

KYLE likes this.
  18. Yeah, I love it. I know it probably won't be my favorite on the album, but it'll tide me over until the album for sure. I grew up in part in a very rural area in the early 2000s, so I'm a sucker for anything that references country music/aesthetics, even though I'm not a country stan by any means. It's ridiculous how excited I am about this album.

19. Lead singles are rarely the strongest numbers so personally I am perched as fvck for the album. Rina ha magnum opus is imminent I fear.

superloves likes this.
  20. Eh, she’s talented and charming enough to be able to pull off pretty much anything, but there’s a sense of her not quite finding her lane with This Hell. It feels like a poor conduit for the aforementioned talent and charm. It’s kind of…lame.

Having said that! the last time I was truly moved by Rina’s music was waaaay back when, with Where U Are and maybe Tunnel Vision. I should probably just accept that she doesn’t want to be a Tei Shi/Nilüfer Yanya type of girl.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.