Rina Sawayama - Hold the Girl (2nd Album) | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

Rina Sawayama - Hold the Girl (2nd Album)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Lucas, Nov 13, 2021.

1. It's a bit too on the nose at some parts and doesn't measure up to the magic of STFU! but I'm ready for her to deliver another amazing album.

Mr.Arroz and xOJakeXo like this.
  2. I'm honestly surprised that it's taken until now for things to start leaking through YouTube Music rips nn.

3. Throwback to Gaga fans leaking video release dates, thumbnails and lengths in 2009-11 by having a backend on Vevo.

Andy French likes this.
  4. I’d rather not xx

5. I'd say this reminds me of 3 songs: Marry the Night, Beat It, and I'm Gonna Getcha Good (red version).

6. I can absolutely hear the Gaga/Shania comparisons, but why am I also getting shades of Hex Girls, ddd

7. [​IMG]

It’s not what I expected from her to lead at all, and it is giving Marry the Night by way of Mutt Lange but… I’m into it.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
    lushLuck likes this.
  8. I'm on my fifth play, and I think I'm obsessed. It gets better with each listen. It's so playful and campy.

Edit: I will be streaming, though! I may be a slut for a good song leak, but I still support the gworls!

9. Okay but why am I bopping? Knowing Rina I wouldn't be surprised if it was an actual reference point.

collxtion and superultra like this.
  10. Rina joining in on Charli’s “sell your soul” album era knowing she’s going to release her own song with a similar subject is the kind of synchronicity that I love.

11. Okay, I'm getting Hex Girls, Shania, Gaga, and the slightest touch of "Oh No!" by Marina during the chorus, especially the final one.

12. Not me immediately going on a hunt for the soundtrack

lushLuck likes this.
  13. If I wanted to listen to Born This Way-era Gaga, I'd go listen to Gaga. The lyrics are not it, either. This is clearly made for the gays who never stepped off the Born Brave bus. It's a no for me. STFU was on a whole other level compared to this. This is just a quick Pride single, a snack for the kids, yeah? Yuck.mp3.

sexercise and lushLuck like this.
  14. A bop and the Gaga influence is so fun.

15. I’m obsessed, I fear.

lushLuck likes this.
  16. Yeah the Shania/Gaga comparisons are so on point indeed. It's not her best but I'm bopping.

17. RMK

RMK

Song is good. I hear the Gaga and Born This Way comparisons, but it's nowhere near the level of material. Is anything, though?

Sleepycat and KYLE like this.
  18. I can totally imagine Cher singing "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" on the electric guitar intro. So random!

Andrew likes this.
  19. I need to stop playing this before it’s even released. It’s so fun. Total camp.

I hope the video was given a budget.

Andrew and KaranPCD like this.
  20. This is for the girls who understand that Devil Wears Prada references and clunky shoutouts are not intrinsically lowbrow. This is for the they/thems who would never badmouth the Born Brave bus, because that's my mama. This is for the gays who get, live, and breathe camp.

[​IMG]

LPT, Lander, -Jay- and 16 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.