Rina Sawayama - Hold the Girl

Let's allow her to feel her moody oats and not demonize her for being quirky!

tumblr_oq9q5quDTU1uzvudxo5_r1_250.gifv

I think she just follows too many overly familiar gays with parasocial relationships spurred by Charli XCX stanning that will drag Rina & her music online, thinking they're being cute and shady, but are actually just being nasty. Obviously no one is entitled to like her music if they don't, but the switch on the latest album was so apparent, I can see why she feels the way she feels.

he/him
I think she just follows too many overly familiar gays with parasocial relationships spurred by Charli XCX stanning that will drag Rina & her music online, thinking they're being cute and shady, but are actually just being nasty. Obviously no one is entitled to like her music if they don't, but the switch on the latest album was so apparent, I can see why she feels the way she feels.

Exactly. The tone shift and trying to re-position her earlier stuff as this super edgy left field works of art was so weird when she’s always been extremely earnest. There’s definitely been some curveballs for sure, but she was never going to go the direction of Charli or whatever these gays thought.

Is she saying 'yes the 2nd album was rushed and the lyrics suffred but also why did you not stan!!"?

Her referring to the “Bad Friend” MV makes it sound like she’s speaking about the music videos and wishing she developed more of a visual ~world~ for the album to bring the songs to life instead of what are mostly pretty straightforward pop videos, which is tea.

Yea I def saw a lot of backlash against her on twitter this time around, which is funny because I swear I never saw as much discussion about her before that. So many people claiming to miss her "old sound" but like... where were you to begin with?

I… don’t think she’s blameless? This came up with Charli XCX a while ago during her eighteenth storm out from Twitter and the forum decided to act like she was bereaved and giving it all “I hope she has a good support system around her :/“ and I was like… huh?

There is of course a more malicious side to the whole thing, but this happens to all the girls who decide they’re going to try and play the game of deviant homosexuals and unemployed teenagers online. It’s like that old adage about teachers losing your respect the moment they try to be your friend, and all of a sudden you find yourself signing a student’s douche. And we all see it coming a mile away too. Distance and mystique are honestly a bit of a requirement for your own sanity in this industry.

Y’all can act obtuse but there’s a clear path she willingly walked from “WHASSSUP EL GEE BEE TEEEEEEEES????? IT’S MOTHERRRRRR ;)” to “The fickle Twitter accounts are being mean to me :_(“ like sis… you are a grown woman. Stop wanting the validation of dumb, wicked children.

I… don’t think she’s blameless? This came up with Charli XCX a while ago during her eighteenth storm out from Twitter and the forum decided to act like she was bereaved and giving it all “I hope she has a good support system around her :/“ and I was like… huh?

There is of course a more malicious side to the whole thing, but this happens to all the girls who decide they’re going to try and play the game of deviant homosexuals and unemployed teenagers online. It’s like that old adage about teachers losing your respect the moment they try to be your friend, and all of a sudden you find yourself signing a student’s douche. And we all see it coming a mile away too. Distance and mystique are honestly a bit of a requirement for your own sanity in this industry.

Y’all can act obtuse but there’s a clear path she willingly walked from “WHASSSUP EL GEE BEE TEEEEEEEES????? IT’S MOTHERRRRRR ;)” to “The fickle Twitter accounts are being mean to me :_(“ like sis… you are a grown woman. Stop wanting the validation of dumb, wicked children.

I don't disagree with the sentiment here, but I think the main sticking point with this comparison to Charli is that Rina is actually part of the queer community. While online branding is a tenuous game as mentioned, there are increasingly fewer resources for these mid/low tier pop girls to actually gain traction that it feels a little harsh to begrudge her pursuing the most obvious path to a certain level of success when she's speaking to a community to which she actually belongs (regardless of how hello my fellow kids it may come across at times!).

There's also the very obvious elephant in the room that if she were white, I think she would've had a more even balance of defenders to detractors regardless of the quality of Hold the Girl.