Rina Sawayama - Hold The Girl | Page 49 | The Popjustice Forum

Rina Sawayama - Hold The Girl

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Lucas, Nov 13, 2021.

1. The way she describes "Send My Love to John" has just shot the song up my list of most anticipated tracks from this album.

Mvnl and Music Is Death like this.
  2. I’d be lying to myself if I didn’t say I’m feeling a bit whelmed by the singles so far. At this stage I hope the more interesting songs are being saved for the album tracks because she’s playing it incredibly safe compared to Sawayama.

Wishlight, Mr.Arroz, Euphoria and 9 others like this.
  3. I’m glad it’s not just me. Everything we’ve heard so far is strong, to be sure. But my excitement for the project lessens with each new track. I’m not even sure why…on paper it should all be amazing. I’m hoping the full album helps it all come together for me.

Wishlight, Mr.Arroz, Euphoria and 6 others like this.
  4. She hasn’t even touched the best stuff, and I say that as someone who loves all the pre-release tracks.

5. Out in the UK.

6. She said that something heavy inspired much of the album's core idea of healing your inner child but that she won't, for now at least, be specific on what the traumatic events were so other people can interpret it freely and *whew* does it make parts of Phantom emotionally hard to process.

I know people take issue with her tone being stuffy some times, but the way she sounds on the first chorus, sounding like she's singing through a cry... perfect.

7. Yeah... I have thoughts on what she's alluding to. I think "Your Age" might be the key. Will be interesting if she decides to speak openly about it after the album is out.

Serg., Diet Pop!, blaze_dave and 3 others like this.
  8. I think it may be a situation where the album is going to work nicely all together as a listen and may help some songs click that aren’t so far with some. I’ve enjoyed everything so far so I’m looking forward to it.

Mvnl, Ferk and mindtrappa like this.
  9. I love Phantom, and still obsessed with Hold The Girl.

Maybe I'm becoming a Little Sawayamonster.

constantino, Wishlight, Sam and 9 others like this.
  10. Oh, this is beautiful

Mvnl, Sleepycat and Music Is Death like this.
  11. The jury is still out for me on this album. I know people have mixed thoughts on it but I did like This Hell and I've liked each pre-release single less. Nothing has conjured up the same excitement in me the way Rina and the debut did.

Ferk and Heartthrob like this.
  12. Oh Phantom absolutely SOARS. I love this too. This is seriously one of my most anticipated albums of the year. I can't wait to hear it.
    It will make me cry and I'm ready for it.
    I'm also really looking forward to Frankenstein.

Mvnl and blaze_dave like this.
  13. Clarence Clarity and Stuart Price on production - I know that’s right!!!!

Mvnl likes this.
  14. Phantom is excellence.

Mvnl, Mikal, Serg. and 4 others like this.
  15. Phantom is fine until the PhantoOoOom bit.

blaze_dave likes this.
  16. A really great interview Rina has done recently.

Her name Tinashe and Kehlani as inspirations early on feels very correct.

Also, scream at Rina attempting to explain the UK education system and it going way over the interviewer's head.

17. Sorry for the double post. I've just heard Phantom and yes, it's excellent. I agree it feels very Avril/Kelly but when has that ever been a bad thing? I will be rinsing the fuck out of this song during the winter months - yes, give me that wistful end of year power ballad mom!!!

18. The only thing that annoys me this era is the country aesthetic she's goin for in her music videos so far, especially in Hold The Girl

19. Oh, I think it works best in “Hold the Girl” with the way it contrasts with a more modern dance company aesthetic. “This Hell” was a bit more camp, but that song is also a bit of an outlier on the project in general.

lushLuck, Mvnl, lob0to and 5 others like this.
  20. Her voice sounds amazing on this. I need more time with the melody, but my favorite parts on first listen are her vocals and the signature Clarence guitar production. Also, there's a certain voice break she does in the pre-chorus that's Kelly Clarkson down.

blaze_dave likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.