Rina Sawayama - SAWAYAMA (Deluxe) | Page 179 | The Popjustice Forum

Rina Sawayama - SAWAYAMA (Deluxe)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Sanctuary, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Fashion:
    [​IMG]

Overdose, blaze_dave, Mikal and 6 others like this.
  2. Lots of things are in fashion that I wear that I also hate / cringe at, it's fine.

3. We just don't post it on social... but get those coins if being sponsored...

4. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Crocs have always been fucking ugly, but get money Rina!!

5. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Nadine knows best

Overdose, Island, Subspace88 and 13 others like this.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    FINISH LINE, Island, Dijah. and 21 others like this.
  7. The way her descriptions and the way she sees and works around her own music and creativity always seems to be tailored to hype me personally. I'm so used to giving and now I get to receive etc.

Island, Dijah., mi|kshake and 4 others like this.
  8. Here for a garage/new jack swing blend!

9. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Charli x Rina seems overdue, right?

Dijah., slaybellz and elektroxx like this.
  11. She should have sponsored Birkenstocks, comfy but make it fashion.

Assassin likes this.
  12. I've never seen Birkenstock pay for a sponsored post before.

13. This British-Japanese pop insurgent makes maximal tracks for a party of one or 100,000.

The empathy in Rina Sawayama’s music comes with a razor-sharp edge. Informed by internet culture, couture, and Y2K nostalgia, her work, she says, is “kinda like drag,” and its scrim of high drama allows her to explore how ideas of self and identity are being mediated by technology and society. “What if it all went away, today?/Then what’s left inside?” she asked on “Ordinary Superstar,” a sugary pop anthem from her 2017 EP Rina, hinting at the conditional nature of contemporary online celebrity. And while it’s fair to call Sawayama a pop singer, her 2020 debut SAWAYAMA presented a heady mix of turn-of-the-millennium Top 40, golden-age R&B, and nu-metal that felt remarkably unforced. Inside that tough, gaudy exterior was a touching album about Sawayama’s family history, including the pain of her parents’ divorce and the complicated ways that genetics and experience shape us.

Sawayama’s ongoing pop project also involves inclusion and advocacy. Just a few years into her career, she’s effected lasting change by successfully petitioning the Brit Awards to recognize the contributions of UK artists born abroad. And her holistic vision for queer artistry goes beyond a single love song or photoshoot to encompass theatrical costumes and makeup, futuristic art direction and video treatments, and the shared community celebration of a song like “Chosen Family.” With her arresting aesthetic and clarity of intention, Sawayama’s work feels like a harbinger for a hyperconnected pop future where no influence is off the table. –Anna Gaca

I agree, I guess!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.