RIP Amy Winehouse

T

Tommie

Fire said:
I thought she hated the Frank album?

Since when?

The only comment I've ever heard about them from her was that they were very two different albums (Frank = independent; Back To Black = co-dependent).

I was watching a bio documentary once about her and people were saying how she really didn't like the mixing of the album and hated how she had to promote an album she wasn't passionate about.

T

Tommie

Fire said:
I was watching a bio documentary once about her and people were saying how she really didn't like the mixing of the album and hated how she had to promote an album she wasn't passionate about.

Probably made during the "Back To Black" hype and indirect sources, no?

She and Salaam Remi had a falling out for some reason. They did reunite after Back To Black so who knows what she would've said after that?

Such a tragic loss of a great talent, its not really my kind of music but my husband loves her and she was undeniably talented. Apparently she recorded a third album before she died, wonder how long it will take them to cash in on that? RIP Amy.

Tommie said:
Fire said:

Probably made during the "Back To Black" hype and indirect sources, no?

She and Salaam Remi had a falling out for some reason. They did reunite after Back To Black so who knows what she would've said after that?

It was definitely made after she married Blake as their marrage was mentioned in the documentary. But I can't remember who the sources were specifically. Like most bio documentares, it was a mix between people who have worked with her and media experts talking.

I do remember her saying before that she hated the 'Frank' album, mainly because of what mixes the label put on for a handful of songs that she didn't like.

I seems to remember an interview where she said she was proud of Frank but only felt like she was 80% behind it or something, and that with hindsight she felt she would have done things differently. I can't remember where I read it now!

xondus said:
Jordananan said:
wayne p said:

I second that. Fantastic.

I feel like I'm still waiting for someone to come along and say how this has all been a big sick joke.

I third that. Really well-written and lovely piece highlighting the best of her work. I teared up a bit while reading it and watching the videos...

I couldn't believe it when a friend texted me yesterday saying she had died. I think I'll always remember that moment.. Part of me couldn't believe it but then one part of me was kind of expecting it and had been for years.

Rest in peace, Amy, you wonderful talented woman. It's such a shame the drugs got the better of you.

Thanks so much for that. I just wanted to write something to pay as best a tribute as I could to someone who literally gave me so much joy and comfort over the years.

It’s weird. I guess Amy is the first artist that I’ve ever loved that I felt was kind of ‘mine’ in a way. Like, when I got Frank back in late 2003, NO ONE had heard of her in Australia at all and it was like my personal mission to introduce people to her over the years. So many of my friends in the states got into her years before Rehab blew up because I basically forced her on them.

I feel like I owe Frank so much, not just for being an amazing set of songs, but for introducing me to a whole new style of music. I’d never really understood Jazz before. I grew up on a lot of Motown, but real Jazz and Blues was still kind foreign to me. Without Frank, I’d never have known the joys of Miles Davis, or Sarah Vaughn, or so many other great artists that are amongst my all time favourites now.
I’d never heard someone write lyrics like Amy before either. Sure, a lot of my cd collection was already confessional singer-songwriter types, but she just had an honesty, humour and almost photographical ear for detail that was so fresh and exciting and involving.

I’ve been lying in bed listening to Amy Amy Amy a lot. I guess a lot of people are using Back to Black and Love Is A Losing Game as their ‘mourning’ song right now, but I love how Amy Amy Amy just is so vibrant and alive and has that seemingly endless array of bonus numbers as it fades out. It makes me feel like she’s still alive in some smoky lounge somewhere, just singing and happy..

G

graffiti my soul

Booers said:
My favourite Amy song is You Sent Me Flying. The section that got me was this ...

"I knew the truth, when it came, would be to that effect
At least you're attracted to me which I did not expect
Didn't think you get my number down and such
But I've never hated myself for my age so much"

I always found that really heartbreaking. And then to follow it up on the (same track on the) album with Cherry was just genius - a heartbreaking song about being dumped coupled with a jaunty little ditty about your guitar being your lesbian lover was just brilliant.

I'll miss Amy for that quirkiness and being able to break my heart and make me smile within the same 6 minutes and 51 seconds.

You Sent Me Flying is so gorgeous. But I think Take The Box has to be my favourite.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
brettbretterson said:
I remember feeling the exact same way when Aaliyah passed away. I was heartbroken - she was so young and she had so much potential. I'd just bought her Aaliyah album and I was listening to it non-stop. It's hard to say why someone who we've never met passing can affect us so much but I don't think feeling sad about someone dying should ever make you feel like a sap! It's sad! Haha. Those feelings are totally justified.

SAME HERE. Aaliyah was a terrific talent, who passed away due to VERY unfortunate events, something that I think Amy's death mirrors.

I like to think I have the decency to not mention her drug addiction. As I've never been drug-addicted, or been able to understand such a relationship with harmful substances, I can only wish that she is somewhere happy and peaceful today.

Her music is more than quality enough for us as music fans to enjoy her presence long after her death, but that still cannot bring her back. I will mourn her, and remember this day for years to come.

Rest calmly, and happily Amy. You deserve this ease after the pain that life on Earth provided you.

Reports this morning saying police found no drugs in her house. She spoke to her security guard at 10am Saturday morning and went to sleep and was found by her body guard in bed at 4pm.

This brings me a tiny bit of comfort to think she didn't die in some drug fueled daze and might have gone quietly in her sleep perhaps.

I do actually feel exactly as I did when I heard about Aaliyah's death right now (I've been traveling abroad so have just now heard the news of Amy's death). Its inevitability makes it no less horrifyingly sad. Secretly I was convinced that Amy would get herself together and make a glorious comeback in a few years time. It's unbelievably sad to me that now that will never happen.

D

duckface

I think it's kind of odd to compare the death of one singer - 21, and killed in an air crash - to that of another very talented lady who threw her life away. Aaliyah's death was painful because it was sudden, completely avoidable and ended the life and career of a hardworking, genuine and clear-headed young woman. Amy's death... I think we all saw coming. Which is tragic, but it was almost entirely self-inflicted (unless the autopsy reveals something truly surprising) - although I do blame the people around her for allowing it to continue to this point.

R.I.P. Amy. It's horrible what you and those around you let happen.

Definitely agree that the circumstances surrounding their deaths appear (at this point) to be very different. Doesn't mean they weren't both talented young women who died far sooner than they should have. No one saw Aaliyah's death coming, yet we all saw Amy's death imminent. Am I any less sad about Amy's death? No. In some ways I find it even sadder.

G

graffiti my soul

Pet Shop Boy said:
Reports this morning saying police found no drugs in her house. She spoke to her security guard at 10am Saturday morning and went to sleep and was found by her body guard in bed at 4pm.

This brings me a tiny bit of comfort to think she didn't die in some drug fueled daze and might have gone quietly in her sleep perhaps.

Well if it wasn't an overdose then what could it've been?

T

Tommie

graffiti my soul said:
Pet Shop Boy said:

I've said it before - heart failure will probably be the official cause of death.

I really lost it when listening to "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow". I'd never heard it until today, it's really just heartbreakingly poetic.

graffiti my soul said:
Pet Shop Boy said:

A lot of different things. My prediction would be heart failure due to alcohol abuse more so than drug abuse, although obviously both played a part.

G

graffiti my soul

So more of an accumulated damage rather than the effects of one night's binge?