RIP John Hughes | The Popjustice Forum

RIP John Hughes

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by sifr, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Breaking news on IMDB:

"John Hughes, the director of the 80s "brat pack" films Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club, as well as the writer-producer of blockbuster hit Home Alone, died suddenly of a heart attack in Manhattan on Thursday; he was 59."

Sad news. You don't expect filmmakers to go that young. I didn't like that many of his movies (I can give you a whole essay on my problems with Weird Science) but Ferris Bueller's Day Off is, of course, a masterpiece. He also made perhaps the best use of John Candy ever ("Polka, polka, polka!")

2. !!!!

Oh no. How awful.

I grew up with his films, in my early teens, they shaped my life (rather too much!) at that point. It's like that article or book, "John Hughes ruined my life", actually.

Haven't really followed cinema in general since the turn of the decade, so I've no idea what his work's been like since the heady days of the late 80s and early 90s, but 59 is no age to pass away.

EG.

3. This is terrible. That man was a genous. The Home Alone films were part of my early childhood, embedded into my brain. And i can't think of words to describe just how good 'The Breakfest Club' is.

4. Sadness...

I watched Pretty in Pink just last week - had no idea he'd turned his back on film to become a farmer though.

Thank you for everything, John.

5. Oh God, I'm so sad. The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Home Alone 1 & 2, Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, Planes Trains & Automobiles... even Beethoven! - all among my all-time favourites.

RIP John, and thank you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNPp6x7j9I8

6. FUCKING HELL

That's made me so sad, I ADORE and LOVE all of the films he's done.

Rest in Peace!

7. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

Even though I'm not overly familiar with his stuff, I was still shocked to hear this, which goes to show just how famous and respected he was.

8. I'm devastated by this. And only 59! So awful.

9. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

This is just so sad.
    Many of his films shaped my childhood.

10. Love him and his movies. And I wont hear a WORD against Weird Science, especially Anthony Michael Hall's ridiculous accent in the bar and Kelly le Brock's terrible acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfipl5BYBqo

11. It's a shame, Planes Trains And Automobiles is a fantastic film, and much underated.

Hughes really never did improve on his 80's work though.

Also, Danny Elfman, composer of many a film score (including Batman and Beetlejuice) wrote and sang the title song for Weird Science in his band Oingo Boingo.

MOOGTRUEFACT.

12. I was hoping someone would mention Oingo Boingo!

EG.

13. Also, I hated Breakfast Club.

14. Does. Not. Compute!

15. Home Alone is one of my favourite childhood movies. Me and my sister watched it many many times, so it brings back great memories.

RIP John Hughes.

16. Okay, fine. I shall refrain from pointing out that, were I too accept the rather, ahem, implausible creation of the girl using *that* equipment I will never, never, NEVER accept that scanning in a picture of Albert Einstein will give you access to his brain.

Seriously. There is plausiblity, and there is accepting the reality of a fantastical film. And then there is that.

But, I for Ferris Bueller, I forgive.

17. (I hate Ferris Bueller too)

18. Sad news, especially passing away at 59. Rest In Peace John.

19. Finally someone I can properly mourn.
    Maid In Manhattan, I loved it even if very few else did.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.