Rita Ora. | Page 496 | The Popjustice Forum

Rita Ora.

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Melodee, Jan 30, 2014.

1. I’d be curious to see how she said that on stage... was it defiant or was it a bit passive? Not because it excuses her but the semantics give more of an insight of what she’s thinking. I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s pissed off because she’s had to validate the fact she’s been with girls. It’s not something she seemed forthcoming to share.

This whole thing has been handled atrociously. If they were intent on putting this song out they should have had a plan from the get go. The song isn’t remotely LGBTinclusive, and deciding to market it as such was lazy. Would we be so outraged if it was marketed as “this one time I was dating this guy and he really pissed me off in a club, and I’d always wanted to just throw men away and get with girls instead. And this song is a representation of that night.”

I mean that’s wildly problematic in itself and quite frankly nothing could save this song from the shitstorm it deserves, but I wonder if honesty from the start rather than skirting around the questions or having atrocious PR saves would have stood her in a better sted.

I don’t know... I just think it’s all a shame. We had so much hope for Rita and this mess just doesn’t make me wanna root for her even though I do. Ditch the song, take the loss and come back in September with a monster bop.

Or they could have just changed the lyrics to having a fun party with ur girls, girls, girls. Can still sip red wine and not offend an entire community of women with that.

2. As of now nobody’s put it on YouTube but to me it seemed more defiant than passive? Though to be fair I could have just read that into it because I disagreed so much with what she was saying.

NotAPassenger likes this.
  3. Firstly the song is awful and should have never been released not because of its theme or message but because it’s really shit and offensive to my ears.

The backlash it has caused is a little extreme for a song that ain’t going nowhere and most of the general public won’t hear.

With all the horror and daily struggles that life brings it amazes me that people find the time to be so deeply offended by this trivia. Like I am all for supporting LGBT causes but I think it’s a case of picking your battles and a soulless pop song sung by second tier pop girls ain’t a battle I want to put my energy into.

Now if we are talking about how the majority of rap artists speak about the LGBT in their music and the hate this spreads you will hear me speak up fast!

Sugasatz likes this.
  5. Congratulations! With one post you singlehandedly managed to:
    • Completely miss the point of the argument here (i.e. people's problems with the lyrics)
    • Employ the insidious 'some people have war in their countries' fallacy that only accomplishes to deflect shit and not address it, by falling in the age old 'these millennial are offended by anything!' rabbit hole
    • Dismiss an entire genre of music without making any due distinction
    Come collect your reward at the self-serving checkout.

6. I haven’t missed the point I just don’t personally feel that this amount of reaction is valid.

I have no issue with millennials and I never mentioned age or generations in my post.

7. I think some reactions seem over the top because the song itself was never meant to be legit offensive, but like I’ve said, once you read into it, it has problems and those that have eloquently explained their issues with it should be listened to and championed.

No one is losing sleep over this though or looking to cancel all 4 girls (well... maybe Bebe) but the most important thing is that these discussions are happening.

It’s just sad Rita is more like “fuck it” then actually understanding the criticisms.

SuperNerd likes this.
  8. It's incredible that the most offensive lyric 'hush loving' is supposed to make the song clean / radio friendly.

9. I'm just waiting for the problematic tweet from Charli just to say "Bingo" cause I'm a messy bitch who lives for drama

10. For now she's just refreshing Kworb.

11. So I need a list of rap artists who are demeaning to the LGBTQIA community because sis you aren’t gonna get away with just saying a majority of them do it when that isn’t true. What a way to write off an entire genre.

And yeah you really did miss the point entirely.

12. Has Charli said anything yet?

13. Totally agree with all of this. NOBODY "forced" Rita to come out. The situation was entirely in her hands from the start. She chose to release Girls, and chose to try and deflect the criticism (which wasn't even just coming from Hayley) by mentioning that she's had relationships with women. She fucked up, got called out for it by several queer artists including but not limited to Hayley, and is now in the process of trying to repair her reputation without actually admitting she did anything wrong. Hayley didn't force anyone to do anything.

14. Mess, through and through.

slaybellz likes this.
  15. Why am I not surprised?

16. I think the most recent example of blatant homophobia in rap came from Migos who rapped I don’t want to vibe with queers.

It’s an issue that has effected that genre of music for many years, Kayne West has spoken openly about these issues and rappers such as Cupcakke have recently made great moves to address this and try and make some positive changes.

I appreciate all forms of music and I am sorry that anyone feels that in my previous post I was writting off a whole genre of music that was not my intention.

I do still however think that generally there is a over reaction to a stupid pop song that won’t dent the top 10 in any country sung by a pop star that has always championed LGBT rights in the past.

As I have lived a life and protested in many different ways through the years for equality( including being spat on, beaten up etc).I am entitled to my opinions and people informing me in a superior manner that I didn’t get the point is annoying!

I got the point I just choose not to buy into and accept it.

We are allowed to have different opinions yet still be respectful to all.

r1ver likes this.
  17. Rita tweeted a personal thank you to the writer of the article "No one should be forced to come out like Rita Ora was, especially when people like Harry Styles get to 'gaybait' without criticism"

I didn't find that article to be a good take on the issue. Defending Rita is one thing, but doing so while criticising Harry Styles in the same breath? For all we know, his songs that allude to bisexuality could very well be "his truth" too, so to assume that he's gay-baiting isn't fair in itself.

I'm not attempting to wholly drag Rita for everything in this post or my last one. Problematic lyrics and her reaction to the controversy aside, she's only human and I don't suddenly dislike her now. I just feel less endeared by her than before all of this. I will say this though, and it's purely in my opinion... I think her tweeting a public thank you to a writer who has defended her, is veering towards playing the victim, and by extension it comes across like she could agree with the "but Harry Styles though!!" defence.

I think I may have reached the point now that I can see it seems unlikely that Rita is prepared to look beyond what she says is her truth, so... I don't know what else can be done really and I should probably stop exhausting myself over this matter (I've only posted twice here about this, but there's also been so many conversations with friends!). I guess I'll just be relieved when she's moved onto a different single. The annoying thing is that on the surface I think Girls sounds like a perfectly serviceable and catchy bop, it's just disappointing to think that even just a slight lyrical tweak could have resulted in something far more palatable, and then this whole mess could have been avoided.

18. Bottom line is "Girls" is shit and will deservedly tank for being so. And also, from now on, and even being a big ol' homo, I'll now label this particular piece of myself as "my truth" since it is ok, even in 2018, for someone to cover up or minimize sexuality just like that.

lushLuck likes this.
  19. Girls is great.
    The subject matter is not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.