Riverdale | The Popjustice Forum

Riverdale

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by VivaForever, May 24, 2016.

1. A new series based on the Archie comics. Based very, very loosely, it seems.

As a new school year begins, the town of Riverdale is reeling from the recent, tragic death of high school golden boy Jason Blossom — and nothing feels the same… Archie Andrews (KJ Apa) is still the all-American teen, but the summer’s events made him realize that he wants to pursue a career in music — not follow in his dad’s footsteps—despite the sudden end of his forbidden relationship with Riverdale’s young music teacher, Ms. Grundy (Sarah Habel). Which means Archie doesn’t have anyone who will mentor him — certainly not singer Josie McCoy (Ashleigh Murray), who is only focused on her band, the soon-to-be-world-famous Pussycats. It’s all weighing heavily on Archie’s mind — as is his fractured friendship with budding writer and fellow classmate Jughead Jones (Cole Sprouse). Meanwhile, girl-next-door Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart) is anxious to see her crush Archie after being away all summer, but she’s not quite ready to reveal her true feelings to him. And Betty’s nerves – which are hardly soothed by her overbearing mother Alice (Mädchen Amick) aren’t the only thing holding her back.

When a new student, Veronica Lodge (Camila Mendes), arrives in town from New York with her mother Hermione (Marisol Nichols), there’s an undeniable spark between her and Archie, even though Veronica doesn’t want to risk her new friendship with Betty by making a play for Archie. And then there’s Cheryl Blossom (Madelaine Petsch)… Riverdale’s Queen Bee is happy to stir up trouble amongst Archie, Betty, and Veronica, but Cheryl is keeping secrets of her own. What, exactly, is she hiding about the mysterious death of her twin brother, Jason? Riverdale may look like a quiet, sleepy town, but there are dangers in the shadows…

http://jezebel.com/riverdale-has-gotten-pretty-dark-1778347424
    http://www.slashfilm.com/riverdale-first-look-the-cws-subversive-take-on-archie-and-the-gang/

This is way past Drew levels of "what the fuck."

Tribal Spaceman, Vixen and Terminus like this.
  2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, I am lowkey excited for this?

Like the showrunner has pretty much said this has a very "Twin Peaks" flavour to it, while pretty much everyone in the cast goes on about how the "murder solving" is very "Pretty Little Liars" and the sexy times reminds of "Gossip Girls", but as I started reading more into it...To me, it screams "Veronica Mars" and that's obviously a very good thing.

Here's the trailer.

-------------------------------------​

3. I am so hyped for this. By far my most anticipated TV show. I've never read the comics but everything about it sounds amazing.

Tribal Spaceman and Vixen like this.
  4. This sounds really good. Disappointed they haven't kept the diversity that made Josie and the Pussycats so fresh but it will be good to see a new version of them on screen. I hope there's lots of songs!

They've started to make bold choices with Archie and co. in recent years (the "Afterlife With Archie" comic, which features a Riverdale zombie Apocalypse, is incredibly dark) and it's paying off for them.

I wonder if we'll see Sabrina Spellman?

5. We will see Sabrina (which is really exciting!)

Riverdale does not premiere until later this year, nor has it even begun filming its second episode. Yet, plans are already in place for the CW’s adaptation of beloved Archie Comics. Indeed, while the show’s concept as “Archie Noir” has often been compared in recent press to “Twin Peaks with teenagers,” which Riverdale co-creator Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa reiterated to us during a roundtable interview at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday, it has also alternatingly been described as Afterlife with Archie (a tongue-in-cheek parallel dimension where there are, among other things, zombies) just minus the supernatural elements. But how long can it stay magic-free when it’s about to introduce Sabrina the Teenage Witch?

Yep, while the official position has been to suggest the inclusion of the popular character Sabrina Spellman might happen, Riverdale’s very own Archie Andrews, K.J. Apa, confirmed himself that something wicked this way comes.

Apa, who appeared at SDCC without the iconic orange locks (he promises his hair will be the proper hue when they get back to shooting), said one of the things fans should look forward to is the imminent arrival of a particular character from the nearby town of Greendale.

“Sabrina, I don’t know if you’re familiar with Sabrina from the comics, she’s going to come,” Apa said. “Yeah, she comes in our last episode.”

Apa also noted that fans can expect the televised Archie Andrews to be less indecisive than his comic book counterpart.

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  6. They talked about her at Comic Con, she's going to be part of a cult - possibly because they don't want to venture in paranormal/supernatural just yet/or at all (which I think is dumb, by the way).

7. Thanks, that sounds promising.

They could show Sabrina from our point of view, so to speak, so that we don't get to see any obvious supernatural elements at first, just a few occurrences that could be dismissed as coincidence, if you get me?

That would leave things open for them to expand upon her role, and the use of magic, later on when the show has found its feet.

I've just remembered who Jason Blossom is - that's a bold move to kill off such a character in the first episode.

8. I can't wait for this either!

[​IMG]

Genuinely, not just because of the bod.

9. I think the big issue is that the supernatural element of the comics might not work well within an actual live-action show because of the lack of a proper mythology. Weird shit happens for the sake of it, and that's it. And that wouldn't sit well in a TV show and its viewers.

So I understand why they would want to keep things a bit more grounded for now, just like you said ; until the show finds its feet...but after that, it would be nice for them to develop an actual mythology and incorporate supernatural elements to the show.

10. It's very 'Pretty Little Liars' from the trailers...which is fine by me, but I am still hoping for a smart and intelligent writing similar to Veronica Mars.

popprincess likes this.
  11. I've seen the first 4 episodes and I'd argue it's best teen drama since early-Gossip Girl. It's very Dawson's Creek meets Veronica Mars, and reminded me of the fun teen shows that put The WB and The CW on the map. It's certainly cheesy and predictable, but I think it's well-performed and the writing is smarter than the Freeform/MTV messes teens are now subjected to. The Betty/Veronica bond is the show's core, and is a much greater focus than the promos imply, which made me so pleased. Also, the guys on the show are gorgeous. I went in with very low expectations, and was shocked at how much I ended up loving it.

12. If it was possible you have made me even more hyped for the show. Not long now.....

Tribal Spaceman and lushLuck like this.
  13. I think with Sabrina, it's better implied within the context of this show, weird occurrences that are left to interpretation but they don't actually show shes full on magical, i don't see how it would gel with the tone of this show.

14. I watched it with a friend who is also an Archie fan expecting this show to be nothing but insulting garbage, and she was equally obsessed with it by the end. It certainly has nothing to do with the source material other than the names, but I enjoyed seeing these characters I know & love in these new circumstances.

AshleyKerwin, popprincess and Island like this.
  15. Never thought the day would come I would wanna fuck Archie yet here we are.

lushLuck likes this.
  16. The hair honestly looks awful on the actor. I might be here for this if it's similar to Veronica Mars.

17. This is really interesting. I loved Archie comics as a kid and I've been intrigued/impressed by the choices they've made in recent years with introducing more mature and/or dark themes involving the characters.

(I can't believe Cole Sprouse is Jughead.)

send photo and Island like this.
  18. The actor does give me slight 'Joker' teas.

Island likes this.
  19. It looks interesting... And a comparison to Dawson's Creek has me sold.

20. If it's Afterlife with Archie without the zombies, then I'm sold.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.