Rochelle Jordan - Play With The Changes | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Rochelle Jordan - Play With The Changes

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by backstreetjoe, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Island

Island Staff Member

@ohnostalgia @R92 @Jersey @Mr.Arroz @xOJakeXo

Listen to this groovy R&B album. Her voice kinda sounds like Kelly Rowland mixed with Kelela with a dash of Katy B. Fans of all three, Dawn Richard, Roses Gabor, and Nao would love this.

ohnostalgia, Mr.Arroz, Jersey and 2 others like this.
  2. So far this is a very accurate tree of artists to reference and I'm barely into the first song. Already love Love You Good!

Island likes this.

3. Yet another impeccable track (I wouldn't want to be on Instagram when Azealia hears it though).

The album is incredible through and through. Great job, Rochelle!

4. 3Xs

3Xs

Wow this is excellent. Definitely getting heavy Kelela vibes but a bit more dancefloor-focused.

clowezra, Island and Imagineitwasus like this.
  5. Number 1 on my album of the year list like a bullet. What an extraordinary piece of work.

Imagineitwasus likes this.
  6. This new album is amazing.

7. Pitchfork gave it a 7.

I'm not sure I see what the author means when she says the album sounds like a time-capsule of "moody 2010s R&B". Bar the Disclosure-esque "Dancing Elephants", I don't see what she means by 2010s. This album isn't even really R&B (except maybe "Nothing Left", which is my least favorite given how old-Rochelle it sounds).

I honestly think such an original, visionary album deserves more than this (although I'm relieved she's got that type of exposure). Rochelle's producers are the perfect formalists for her to instill her emotions. "Broken Steel" is a masterclass on turning sound materials into a matching songwriting theme.

nooniebao, Vasilios and Acronym like this.
  8. The album is absolutely fantastic, blown away. Giving me Take Me Apart vibes in the best way possible.

9. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

Add me to the list of stans for this album. I love every track but Dancing Elephants is transcendental.

And I am very tempted to move this thread to P&J after all, I feel like she could be a new forum fave if more people knew about her

TRAVVV, Mr Blonde, nooniebao and 3 others like this.
  10. Please do, she needs it. This album just keeps on giving.

clowezra and OspreyQueen like this.
  11. A move to Pop & Justice would be more than welcome. I've been obsessed with the new album, which is already an AOTY contender. Machinedrum & co brought their A game production wise, and I love how much Rochelle's delivery slides in perfectly whether she finds herself in a house landscape, or something more R&B or even atmospheric-ish. A perfect pairing.

Mr Blonde, LPT, codecat and 2 others like this.
  12. ON REPEATTT

TRAVVV, Mr Blonde, nooniebao and 2 others like this.
  13. I feel like Rochelle is such an intuitive formalist: whenever she hears the most complicated and metallic soundscapes, she just inhabits them with both ease and dexterity. I remember her saying on Twitter years ago that she thought "Breakdown" was Mariah's most complicated song. I can see the interest in her vocal delivery now. The vocal flows on "Count It" are just next level, and to think she comes up with all of this alone. She can just compete with any rhythm.

Maybe it's time to change the thread name? Even though "How U Want I" still slaps and makes for a nice addition to an already impeccable album.

14. This new album is simply amazing. The vocals, the production, the melodies. Ugh

LPT likes this.
  15. I remember her 2013 bops also slapping.

nooniebao, Imagineitwasus and LeBratt like this.
  16. I remember Jessie Ware being the one who got me into her music way back. Taste!

Jacques, Imagineitwasus and Vasilios like this.
  17. Album of the year contender, on repeat since its release. A big achievement. She deserves to be heard!

18. Cause I’ve been all over the world
    Trying to find some penis that’s been here all along

Can't unhear

Jacques likes this.
  19. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These pics scream AOTY. Kill it Rojo.

Crisp X, Vasilios and nooniebao like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.