ROSALÍA: el RATE de la discografía

I mean... true tea? @Maki's score for "Saoko" might read as hyperbolic to literally all of us judging by the average score and the position that the song got, but there's worse songs my good sis could have given a 3 to dd. Songs like this one are meant to be divisive, so just feel your tasteful oats if you are on the right side of history and hope that others will see the light someday.

nathy-peluso.gif

Yas the evil has been defeated!

turuQAO.gif

I disliked "SAOKO" upon first listen when it came out and was hoping it would grow on me over time. Well... it clearly hasn't and apparently never will. It's basically "CHICKEN TERIYAKI" type of shitty song but wrapped in an ~experimental~ production and a bunch have been tricked into thinking it's actually good - so puzzling to see these two at the opposite ends of the album's ranking. Her most overrated song by far, genuinely can't process how this cacophonic mess is worthy of a high score/placement but to each their own.

"LA COMBI VERSACE" seems extremely random in this top 5. That one and "Pienso en tu mirá" can leave next and any of the remaining three would be worthy winners (all got 9.5s from me).

I disliked "SAOKO" upon first listen when it came out and was hoping it would grow on me over time. Well... it clearly hasn't and apparently never will. It's basically "CHICKEN TERIYAKI" type of shitty song but wrapped in an ~experimental~ production and a bunch have been tricked into thinking it's actually good - so puzzling to see these two at the opposite ends of the album's ranking. Her most overrated song by far, genuinely can't process how this cacophonic mess is worthy of a high score/placement but to each their own.

"LA COMBI VERSACE" seems extremely random in this top 5. That one and "Pienso en tu mirá" can leave next and any of the remaining three would be worthy winners (all got 9.5s from me).
See now you're pushing it.

nathy-peluso.gif

Oh you’re about to catch these fists if you tanked this one as well

vilettuce-damn.gif
dd no, my lowest remaining scores are 7.5 and 8.5

I don't know if anyone is familiar with this, but she kinda paved the way for the Rosalias. Appropriating Latin culture from the comfort of her couch in South of France back in the 90s. A visionary.

This is like one of my all-time favourite songs.

5. La Combi Versace (9.45)

1716591680773.png

11 x 3: (@Monkey Meat @Verandi @Mr Blonde)
Highest: 10 x 14 (@Applause @Atletico @JuanJose
@Mirwais Ahmadzaï @Trinu 3.0 @sesita @Trouble in Paradise
@Robert @JonBcn @paperboyfriendd @Vasilios @devilpray @soratami @Dijah)
Lowest: 7.5 x 2 (@rdp @Maki)

Ehtilaso Versace saliendo del callehawwwwn

gretchen-gretchen-dan%C3%A7ando.gif

Our first song to receive three elevens. Legendary! I would have loved to see this song within the top 3. Looking at everyone's scores though, it's quite universally acclaimed inside this pink-walled asylum.

Musically speaking, I think the biggest triumph carried out by "La Combi Versace" is managing to be so magnetic in spite of its simplicity. The reguetón beat is as by-the-numbers as they come, but the stylistic accents that adorn it are strategically placed: mainly the flamenco percussive section and those blink-and-you-miss-it choir vocalizations that take the track to a whole new oneiric place with the help of Rosalía's hypnotic voice. But of course, all elements are already hanging on those dilating synths that form the backbone of the track and make "La Combi Versace" a nocturnal and foggy experience as soon as you press play. Play this in the car at night cruising down the highway and the architecture around you will turn into a liminal space.

The entire song is an aesthetic exercise, the painting of a snapshot in Rosalía's life and mission statement with Motomami. Pure hedonism. Blessings for the founder of the House of Versace and references to Dominican nightlife culture serve as the justifying backdrop for yet another track in which she marriages perceived extremes as equals: trap musicians and classical composers, combining red and pink or sapphires and diamonds in your outfit, knock-off pieces and couture eccentricities, pulling up to the MET Gala on a pony. Tokischa's insolent seal shoots the starting gun on that bridge that will never get old for me, I will always lose my shit and break into flamenco street moves that run inside my veins and that I didn't need to go to a flamenco school to learn. I turn into Carmen Amaya by the time the outro comes around, with Tokischa's chopped vocals taken from a second verse that she recorded for the song and that Rosalía decided to re-purpose into a closing feeling. I feel alive and plugged in to the source when I listen to this song!

I went off to this at the Motomami World Tour, girls. The threat of "Linda" potentially placing above this was haunting me as I received ballots, because "La Combi Versace" is truly one of her all-time best. The superior sapphic bop with Tokischa! I leave you with Rosalía performing the song at Lollapalooza Brazil with the extended dance break outro.