Roseanne/"The Conners" Spin-Off | Page 2 | The Popjustice Forum

Roseanne/"The Conners" Spin-Off

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by VicePresidentJocasta, Apr 28, 2017.

1. That's pretty crap. That's the season of Roseanne everyone loathes. Roseanne had purchased the rights to Ab Fab at that time to make an American version.

2. Roseanne's not alone in this. Former show exec pro Tom Werner is as well. Again, Roseanne wasn't a writer. Here's what could happen: Roseanne locks horns over the direction and the deal falls through. Who they hire to write will also be interesting.

3. Yes she was, mostly during the later seasons. She wrote several episodes in season 9, which is what worries me. But even when she wasn't writing the scripts she was a producer so she had a say in the storylines / direction. If this is happening, it will be with Roseanne at the helm of it.

4. This news made my day. Roseanne was one of my favorite shows growing up. I hope everyone comes back. Friends….you're next!

5. A Friends reunion will never, ever, ever happen. And it shouldn't.

6. Roseanne co-wrote 1 episode in season 8, and 4 in the final (also something like 2 "story by"). I stated this on the previous page. That's the extent of her writing over 222 episodes. You're pretty much regurgitating what I've already said. We'll simply have to wait and see.

7. God, I hope not.

8. I would love a Friends reunion, but the show did end perfectly.

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

I don't know, Friends was so revolving about a group of 20/30-somethings that it would feel like more of a departure of the original premise than many other shows featuring several generations.
    Not to mention there's no way those people are still all living in one building, and without that it would feel more like 'a very special episode' than a continuation of the show.

I do love how everything's coming back though. Gilmore Girls, Arrested Development s4, the Veronica Mars movie and Fuller House all were pretty enjoyable.

Most shows I truly loved (Ally McBeal, Dawson's Creek, Six Feet Under) are better off untouched though.

marie_05 and bluecapricorn like this.
  10. I'm not sure how that constitutes as "she wasn't a writer", though. She wrote multiple episodes. And regardless, my point was that she will clearly have a say in the storylines / direction of the revival, just like she did on the original series even when she wasn't writing the episodes. She'll almost certainly be a major part of the writer's room here. I'd imagine the concept / ideas are already locked down if they have so many people onboard.

11. What put "Roseanne" on the map in terms of writing wasn't Roseanne's responsibility. That's the point. Saying she was the writer of the show when she just wrote a handful of episodes out of 222 is disingenuous. It's not like Ab Fab, which is written by Jennifer Saunders (doctored by Ruby Wax). That's what I was pointing out. Just because she tried her hand at writing during that final season, that doesn't mean she's going to be writing these new episodes. She was producer of the for years. She will be co-producer yet again. And here we go YET AGAIN: we're on the same page. She may end up butting heads with the other two runners in terms of show direction and the deal falls through. She already did a pilot with John Goodman in 2012 "Downwardly Mobile". Same tale. She shot it, then the problems started. She got a huge sum of money when they didn't pick it up. There was a guarantee pick-up clause in her contract. When it wasn't picked up, suddenly it was "Hollywood couldn't handle my views in the show." This time, however, Sara Gilbert is involved. There are way more people involved, and way more people that know how to deal with her and keep her in control.

12. We're on the same page for the most part - I'm relieved that Sara Gilbert is attached, and like I said: I don't think that Goodman or Metcalf would sign on without knowing what their storylines would entail. In terms of Roseanne's involvement, I give her as much credit for the shows initial brilliance as I do for its eventual downfall whether or not her name was on every script. The show, for the most part, reflected Roseanne's voice, so my main worry is that her idea for this revival would be the same in that sense.

13. Roseanne is one of the greatest shows of all time.

It shouldn't be rebooted.

Andy French and Petty Mayonnaise like this.
  14. Please no Trump bullshit.

15. This is really depressing.

junglefish and ephemeralartery like this.
  16. I can't believe Channel 4 got away with showing this at around 6pm, it being a hit, and so close to the bone so often. The first 8? Seasons are stunning, I really need to rewatch, let's pray Netflix pick it up, and the tights to it all.

Let's not talk about the final year, I just remember that fucking dreadful Under Seige spoof, and cringe.

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  17. If she's pro Trump I'm afraid she has lost me. And to think I tried to vote for her over Obama!

18. That already happened only Katey Sagal appeared:

19. I don't really want to see Ed O' Neil back with Peg when he seems so happy with Gloria on Modern Family.

Andrew.L likes this.

20. She then retweeted:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.