RuPaul's Drag Race (AS9/Global All Stars)

I just had it on in the background, made for alright Saturday morning viewing. I anticipated a lot worse, but the tone definitely did veer off track on a couple of occasions, most notably with Rose's analogy. Did anyone pick up that Ru sounded like that stretch of episode where he was on the brink of death?

At least the next few episode's challenges are
Snatch Game, and the make over challenge
which tend to be entertaining so... Fingers crossed this cast doesn't fuck it up.

Mr.Arroz

Staff member
he/him/his
The whole special was a case of... "too soon" for me. We're not out of this pandemic, and its effects are far from over, so the episode felt more self-aggrandizing aside from perhaps... Lala, Kahmora, and Tamisha. For most of the other interviews I physically felt my eyes roll at equally treating things with such grand, historic, victorious language, and/or just being tone-deaf and placing what they did on such an unearned pedestal. Maybe cos I watched a documentary about actual frontline workers of color in NYC during its period as an epicenter, but Drag Race participation is ultimately still entirely elective while being near death's door nursing patients either to health or their grave...isn't. It just left a sour taste for something that is ongoing and ultimately made me not warm to much of these queens even more than before (specifically Rosé).

Can we possibly resort to fan fiction as there’s no new episode?
At least the next few episode's challenges are
Snatch Game, and the make over challenge
which tend to be entertaining so... Fingers crossed this cast doesn't fuck it up.
I really want to put one of those Morgan Freeman narrating them doing just that here but I’ll leave it

7!?!?!?
SEVEN!?!?!??!?

I actually think it's 8. As the season is due for a Season 3 16 episodes and I don't think the pandemic show is included.

As
Episode 1 non elimination
Episode 2 non elimination
Episode 3 non elimination
Episode 4 Top 13 - 12
Episode 5 12 - 11
Episode 6 11-10
Episode 7 10-9
Episode 8 9-9

Top 4 would be a normal final.
So I think we might get a count down to the crown return to make up the episode count.

The whole special was a case of... "too soon" for me. We're not out of this pandemic, and its effects are far from over, so the episode felt more self-aggrandizing aside from perhaps... Lala, Kahmora, and Tamisha. For most of the other interviews I physically felt my eyes roll at equally treating things with such grand, historic, victorious language, and/or just being tone-deaf and placing what they did on such an unearned pedestal. Maybe cos I watched a documentary about actual frontline workers of color in NYC during its period as an epicenter, but Drag Race participation is ultimately still entirely elective while being near death's door nursing patients either to health or their grave...isn't. It just left a sour taste for something that is ongoing and ultimately made me not warm to much of these queens even more than before (specifically Rosé).
I agree with this.

My boyfriend said it was the kind of thing you'd expect to watch like 20 years from now, looking back at this tough time, not while we're still in the midst of it.

This season has shown how ironically the show has become so tone deaf and uninteresting. I didn't bother to watch last week's episode until today and now I think I'll pass on until the finale.

I mean this is the same show that thought after months of quarantine, no drag shows, and real struggling times, we'd want to see a bunch of queens mope around for like 2 episodes thinking they all got eliminated first.

I watch Drag Race strictly out of habit and obligation at this point. It rarely makes me feel good to watch it. Real life drag shows can be so joyous. To be in a room of queer people, celebrating our life, our favorite music, our art. After the Pulse shooting happened, there was a benefit show in Chicago with tons of queens performing and like people were scared to be going out to bars but being in that room with everyone, knowing we had each other was so moving to me. That's the power that drag has. Poorly written acting & musical challenges, making queens look bad, and nudging them to fight each other? I get it's reality tv but it's a shame it is the world's main glimpse at drag because it rarely showcases or celebrates the way drag can make you feel. It's a shame we can't get more focus on the craft of their drag, and why they do drag and what it means for them to be doing drag. Instead we get pre-purchased looks, and tired storylines and personality tropes that are usually hard to watch.
Anyways...

I mean this is the same show that thought after months of quarantine, no drag shows, and real struggling times, we'd want to see a bunch of queens mope around for like 2 episodes thinking they all got eliminated first.

I watch Drag Race strictly out of habit and obligation at this point. It rarely makes me feel good to watch it. Real life drag shows can be so joyous. To be in a room of queer people, celebrating our life, our favorite music, our art. After the Pulse shooting happened, there was a benefit show in Chicago with tons of queens performing and like people were scared to be going out to bars but being in that room with everyone, knowing we had each other was so moving to me. That's the power that drag has. Poorly written acting & musical challenges, making queens look bad, and nudging them to fight each other? I get it's reality tv but it's a shame it is the world's main glimpse at drag because it rarely showcases or celebrates the way drag can make you feel. It's a shame we can't get more focus on the craft of their drag, and why they do drag and what it means for them to be doing drag. Instead we get pre-purchased looks, and tired storylines and personality tropes that are usually hard to watch.
Anyways...
If it causes you this much grief...why do you bother? There’s plenty of other content online that explores other facets of the drag experience, so to continue watching a show that doesn’t appear to bring you anything other than misery seems strange to me.

So I started watching this show with season 12 recently and I loved all of it (the scream I let out when I saw a fellow Persian queen 10 minutes into the show).

But I watched the first two episodes of this season and they were both a chore to get through. Does it get better or I should start an older season instead?
This season isn't great and as someone else who's first proper Drag Race run through was Season 12 I'd say it's not top priority at all! I'd go back to Season 4 or 5 and start from there if you'd like more content. The current season of Drag Race UK is also brilliant, so that might be a nice option if you want to watch along in a weekly setting.

So I started watching this show with season 12 recently and I loved all of it (the scream I let out when I saw a fellow Persian queen 10 minutes into the show).

But I watched the first two episodes of this season and they were both a chore to get through. Does it get better or I should start an older season instead?
Season 5 is the best season of the show and only gets better with time. Do yourself a favor and go back and watch that and then All Stars 2.