RuPaul's Drag Race (AS9)

Jimbo is a chaotic clown mess but so so funny. I could watch Jumbo all day long. Seems odd Jimbo will compete against the US queens. Even Jimbo must know he will be booted out and sent but north before he has finished unpacking his suit case of fake boobs.

Like season 15 I will give this a miss and just watch the Jimbo parts online for as long as he sticks around.

I am stilling hoping there is an All Stars Europe featuring one queen from the UK, Sverige, Belgique, Italia, España, Holland, France and Deutschland (series due later this year). Drag Race All-Stars QueeroVison.

She/Her/Queen
I’m soooo tempted (for the first time ever) to go into the spoilers thread to see if Alexis won. The influence that she has etc. etc.

fa51c32dd0d010b9040b20415861d863

And that is ok. You are trying to pursue someone to change their opinion with what? Just because someone else agrees with you others are wrong?
If you expect people to respect your take on this subject you should do it too.
I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. One of us was saying that Jimbo's drag can't be offensive because women don't gatekeep drag, and one of us was saying that elements of Jimbo's drag are offensive. Thanks for your input though.

I do feel like social media response will factor heavy into who wins this All Stars. Because there's some unpopular queens and if they make it to the end and the response is negative -- they will probably go with whatever the lesser controversial option.

I’d be interested in reading some detailed criticism of Jimbo’s drag, if anyone can point me in the right direction? I baulk at the idea that you can’t parody something and also love and admire it, but I’m really interested in understanding this viewpoint a bit more.

I've only ever seen tweets from random people about their opinions on it. I don't think anyone's ever written a whole exposé about it. I would actually like it too though if someone could like show examples of specific behaviors or things she's said or something, because just the big breast plates don't really drive the point enough for me. Like Koco from Dragula wears the same kind of breast plate and no one says anything so I'd love to find out what Jimbo does that crosses the line from "exaggeration of gender expression" to offensive for people.

Anyone's opinions on this are valid though. If she bothers you, she bothers you, and if she doesn't, she doesn't. I don't think it's something we all have to be in agreement on.

He/him
Same. I'm interested to know exactly what it is that is offensive. Is it specifically around the breastplate? As you point out, Jimbo is not the only drag artist to use one like that. Aside from Koco, Symone and Gigi both performed together in breastplates exactly like Jimbo, and didn't Symone have a look on the show that featured enormous breasts? Not just them, but so many other queens use breastplates that are unnaturally large for most women, to achieve a certain look.

But if it's more that people just feel it's a parody overall, you can point to a hundred other queens whose entire character is a parody of a certain type of woman.

The breastplate character is just one of many that Jimbo uses. It's not their entire act either, unlike certain other queens. So I would be keen to understand why Jimbo's drag is on the offensive side of the line, particularly when they've made it clear their intent is not mockery.

I don't want to minimise how anyone feels either. Everyone's feelings are valid.

It’s the idea that Jimbo is making fun of women’s bodies, using them as the punchline etc. I don’t really have a “take” on it (and Jimbo’s looks are not the reason I’m not a big fan) but have read some interesting “discourse” online about it. But that seems to be the crux of it.

Aside from Koco, Symone and Gigi both performed together in breastplates exactly like Jimbo, and didn't Symone have a look on the show that featured enormous breasts? Not just them, but so many other queens use breastplates that are unnaturally large for most women, to achieve a certain look.

Yeah this goes far back. Alexis Mateo on Season 3. Yara Sofia too. I'm pretty sure its just the fact people feel like Jimbo's bimbo act is a parody as the above posts say.

I don't really understand it either, loads of drag queens make having enormous, or at least oversized breasts, a big part of their look. Jimbo takes it to the cartoonishly extreme but I don't see how it's mocking women any more than many, many other aspects of drag which is often, though obviously not always, about taking caricatures or stereotypes and dialling them up to 11 in a playful manner.

At least people are talking about Jimbo, he creates conversations and debates which I imagine will only intensify as the season goes on.

Kahanna listing all the ways she has improved as purely aesthetic (lips, filler, teeth) great well done, but she really doesn’t get it does she, we need more than face value darling…