RuPaul's Drag Race *SPOILERS*

The source is Willam, so take that how you want, but he mentioned on Hot Goss that so many girls rejected AS8 (which… makes sense with the cast) that AS9’s format this year will be non-elimination, which is apparently a primary leveraging point.

I’m pretty certain that Asia said she’d only come back if they removed the ‘cast voting each other off’ element, so…!

I can see why bigger names are maybe swerving it at first. As unless you have something to really prove, you likely have more to lose than gain for going back.

You don't want to end up like Kendall and be a finalist and get booted first on your come back.

I do think if they make All Stars 9 non elimination, it should only include queen's who reached the final. But ideally that format should be kept for All Winners.

I'm in two minds, as if it allows us to inject All Stars seasons with serious star power again (i.e. being able to pull from finalists/finalist-adjacent contestants), then I'm very much perched, and hopefully the 200k prize will bolster that further. But I will also miss the goopery attached to eliminations (albeit this has slowed in recent years), and they'll need to find a new way to distinguish a follow-up All Winners' - whenever that will be.

Last edited:
I think they're just trying to find ways for All Stars to appeal to the queens. This season seems to have some sort of fan voting element with the queens getting to show all of their looks, even after getting eliminated. And, that is actually good from a financial standpoint for them because it's a huge risk to go on All Stars and spend all this money on looks and get eliminated early. At least this way, all the looks will presumably be seen and get them eligible for the "second way to win" prize.

But yeah, alternatively just having a little bit smaller of a cast and having no eliminations can be good too. The pool of queens to pick from is getting smaller anyways.

I'm sorry but regular All Stars having no eliminations is weak sauce. I get that pulling together a package for the show is becoming increasingly expensive and it can be crushing and frustrating to pull one together only to showcase a fifth of it, and I'm all for queens finally being able to leverage things out of World of Wonder after having no negotiation power for over a decade, but... it still needs to remain a competition, and I think that format ultimately does a disservice to the queens who will arguably do well versus the ones that will feel like they're getting dragged along for ten episodes.

Reimburse the queens for outfits, find ways to reduce overall outlay for queens, but not eliminating anyone just removes the stakes and probably a lot of the drama entirely. Like once you're cast you essentially get gifted ten episodes of screentime? How is that fair? All Winners had earned that. Being second out and brushing the Top 5 six years ago does not. Again, I get the show has stitched a lot of these girls up in the past. I get that it's a big commitment. But I think you also need to accept some core values of what the show is otherwise it stops being the show it is, and that's when it maybe becomes less compelling to watch.

I'm sorry but regular All Stars having no eliminations is weak sauce. I get that pulling together a package for the show is becoming increasingly expensive and it can be crushing and frustrating to pull one together only to showcase a fifth of it, and I'm all for queens finally being able to leverage things out of World of Wonder after having no negotiation power for over a decade, but... it still needs to remain a competition, and I think that format ultimately does a disservice to the queens who will arguably do well versus the ones that will feel like they're getting dragged along for ten episodes.

Reimburse the queens for outfits, find ways to reduce overall outlay for queens, but not eliminating anyone just removes the stakes and probably a lot of the drama entirely. Like once you're cast you essentially get gifted ten episodes of screentime? How is that fair? All Winners had earned that. Being second out and brushing the Top 5 six years ago does not. Again, I get the show has stitched a lot of these girls up in the past. I get that it's a big commitment. But I think you also need to accept some core values of what the show is otherwise it stops being the show it is, and that's when it maybe becomes less compelling to watch.

That is why if they do end up doing non-eliminations, it has to be a smaller cast, and it has to be All actual Stars. High caliber stuff with everyone having a real chance at winning.

Honestly, they should maybe consider just paying the queens money to get their looks together. I don't know what the logistics of that are though.

I think the general consensus is that going down the non-elim route would help prevent against casting the likes of Kalorie Karbdashians moving forward.

That being said, if the format shift is indeed true, it does feel like a plaster over a growing wound - there is a multitude of reasons why All Stars is proving to be a trickier proposition moving forward beyond just the expense vs. elimination aspect. The drive towards WOW Presents+ and Paramount is a steep battle worldwide compared to VH1/MTV and Netflix, and the careers of many top performing contestants of recent years is promisingly strong enough to seemingly not require an All Stars top-up. The yearly drive for AS seasons is also evaporating the pool of potential strong contestants pretty quickly, and whilst the idea of Global All Stars/vs. the World seasons remedies this, one wonders what the continued lean-in will look like for fans who simply can't keep up with all the ongoing global seasons and have little to no attachments for 50%+ of the cast at hand.

What they are planning for this year with the eliminated girls getting to showcase their looks on the runway and (apparently) returning to do their talent show in a separate contest, seems a a perfectly good compromise to me.

I think though that sometimes people always come down hard on the All Stars Casting. I mean All Stars 3 was basically made of up of popular-with-the-fans middle outs (and Bebe). All Stars 4 had 6 people who'd came 6th or lower on their season (including Monet), All Stars 5 had a pretty mix of a few finalists and several 9/10th place girls. All Stars 6 breakout stars were Rajah and Kylie who each came 9th originally.

All Stars has never been a preserve of those who went deep first time, and people either overlook it when it comes to Queens they liked, or just think of the star power and performance of a Queen on their AS run and therefore judge the new line-up by a false comparison.

Last edited:

Staff member
Some quick easy fixes for future All Stars;

- Less cast members (10) so everyone has a bigger chance of more screen-time at least
- Maybe have half the season as non-elims, then maybe after 4 weeks whittle it down to losing 2 a week
- No more lip-sync assassins, have the bottom 2 lip-sync against each other so they can fight for it (Alyssa v Tatianna is the best lip-sync ever for a reason). This has been raised a few times that the fate isn't really in their hands, so that could be a real opportunity for more classic moments.

he/him
Half of the All Stars 7 queens were still complaining about the edit even though they showcased 0 criticism the entire season. I respect the girls for knowing their worth, but we're here to watch an entertaining tv show at the end of the day. No eliminations was cute for an all winners season, but I'm not interested in that for every season. I'd honestly prefer Kalorie Karbdashian Williams & Rebecca Glasscock fight each other for the crown because at least it means something to them.

I wouldn't even mind them utilizing the same queens over & over again as long as it's entertaining. I'll never say no to more Alexis Mateo on my screen.

As RJF said, they need to just twist WoW's arm. Give the girls a spending rate of at least $15k for costumes, hire some in house designers they can contact for looks (particularly challenges like the Rusicals that they play specific characters), and keep it to 10 queens so there are less runways/episodes/expenses. This in addition to the new twist of having the girls still show off their looks after being eliminated seem reasonable. I'm sure the queens wouldn't be as upset at leaving early if they didn't spend their own money and it also opens the door for queens with less money to potentially be featured while being on a more even playing field.

Several seasons of All Stars is also just dripping with riggory, too. And I bet a lot of queens want to avoid that. Chad, Alaska, Shea, and yes even Trixie... All of them are queens that either RuPaul loved or were kind of deserving to win their season but someone edged them just a tiny bit so giving them an All Stars win was their consolation prize. And that's not said to diminish the queen's work and effort too, but sometimes the legitimacy of Drag Race as an actual competition is a very thin veil.
So yeah, Queens like Mrs Kasha Davis - they know they aren't going to win but they're going to have fun and want that reintroduction and "Here's what I have to show since being on the show" moment.
But the strong competitive queens, they want to be in that finale and are not going to join a season unless they think they are being set up for success to be there.
So, I'm not necessarily mad if they want to do a smaller non-elim season with only that latter group of queens.