RuPaul's Drag Race UK

Non-live finales are always a bit of a non-event, but this series has very much restored why the UK is an essential pillar of the global rollout of the show. In terms of the bells and whistles of the production, runways etc, the US is always going to be firmly out in front (although this could be remedied somewhat for the UK if they actually compensated the contestants financially...), but UK 1/2/5 have very much proved that the UK franchise can sit comfortably within its own lane, and feel incredibly satisfying in its own right.

I very much enjoy the drama and stakes of the US iteration of the show, but I also really adore that when the UK is firing on all cylinders, there is a general atmosphere that feels so joyous and celebratory. Nobody is taking themselves too seriously, and everyone comes away looking all the better for it.

Praying that casting really pay attention to what has worked this year in comparison to the past two years, but I do worry that given the astronomically rising cost of living and seemingly dwindling opportunities for queer performers here in the UK, incentivising potentially strong competitors to sign up is going to be a tough ask in the coming years - particularly when production isn't even providing opportunities to tour afterwards etc.

Last edited:

SockMonkey

Staff member
I very much enjoy the drama and stakes of the US iteration of the show, but I also really adore that when the UK is firing on all cylinders, there is a general atmosphere that feels so joyous and celebratory. Nobody is taking themselves too seriously, and everyone comes away looking all the better for it.
Absolutely. There’s a place for the drama and arguments and fighting, but the UK version just doesn’t feel like it. I really liked how they opened the finale with each of the three finalists saying what they liked about the other two. It just doesn’t feel like the place to be shady and angry and “I’m going to kill all these bitches”. And even if it went down that route it would be with a sly wink. The world doesn’t need more anger right now.

Absolutely. There’s a place for the drama and arguments and fighting, but the UK version just doesn’t feel like it. I really liked how they opened the finale with each of the three finalists saying what they liked about the other two. It just doesn’t feel like the place to be shady and angry and “I’m going to kill all these bitches”. And even if it went down that route it would be with a sly wink. The world doesn’t need more anger right now.
And that's exactly why this particular top 3 also felt so right - lovely, talented people who were able to convey genuine warmth alongside witty, non-serious put-downs/one-liners (especially Michael) in a way that feels so inherently 'backstage drag dressing room' at its finest.

I am very very happy. Honestly, Ginger could have won the Ted Talk, Rusical, Snatch Game, Acting Challenge, Makeover AND Roast in a ROW, she was that good. And that’s not to take away from Kate or Michael who won those other challenges, but it definitely felt like once Ginger had three, they shied away from what otherwise could have at least been double wins.

She absolutely stormed the back end of the competition and so the crown was thoroughly deserved. (And I don’t fancy her, ha)

I still think a double crowing was deserved, I like Ginger but I felt Micheal had that bit of sharp bite that I love in Drag Queens.

I mean a WOW series with them both would be great and as the Beeb are too tight to give them any prize money a double win would have cost them nothing.

I actually prefer this season to U.K. 2 it has more heart.

MICHAEL MAROUUUUUUUULI

Imagine a two hour MM extravaganza - she would SLAY. Funny, gorgeous, witty, quick, in touch with old and new references, an amazing person... she has it all.
I see Michael as a Saturday evening TV host - they would be great for bringing back an old show e.g. Generation Game. They bridge the old and the new (as they said) and they have the emotional intelligence to develop an instant rapport with members of the general public (see how they managed the makeover challenge). And they are sincere.