S-s-s-s-Samantha Fox | Page 79 | The Popjustice Forum

S-s-s-s-Samantha Fox

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by MadeInHeaven, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Couldn’t agree more. What a major, major bop wasted.

I always found it very irritating Stock Aitken Waterman saying they started working with Samantha because, and I quote Mike Stock from a three pages Smash Hits SAW interview back in the day, her record company had ”made an album that cost a lot of money without a good single to pull off it, so they approached us: Please can you make one record that we can stick on the album and will be a hit to make the album sell?”

Excuse ME. Not a good single to pull of it?

I Surrender (To The Spirit Of The Night)
    Naughty Girls (Need Love Too)
    That Sensation
    I Promise You

That’s four extremely strong ones right there. Well ok, I know SAW are not known for their modesty and I do love Nothing’s Gonna Stop Me Now and it certainly worked as the lead single in Europe, but yeah. Hardly an album of wasted money and no proper singles.

Actually I recall being shocked of how strong the album was when it was released. I had been a huge fan of Touch Me and even Do Ya Do Ya, but also very disappointed with the Touch Me album. I basically properly liked only those two tracks and I’m All You Need. The US tracklist which replaced It’s Only Love & Drop Me A Line with Want You To Want Me & Rockin’ In The City would’ve already been a big improvement, but we didn’t get those two before the gatefold rerelease of the album.

In other words my hopes were not very high when the second album arrived. I was basically ready to receive an album SAW described, a great lead single with a lot of duds. Track 1 in Europe for some inexplicable reason being (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction seemed to confirm my fears. I hated it. But THEN. Then I Surrender started playing. And it was simply a-mazzze-ing. Followed by I Promise You, a huge banger. And then Naughty Girls basically blew my mind. Right from the cheeky spoken intro to the finish. Such a fresh sound and big step for her, not to mention the catchy chorus. And this is how it went on. Sure not ALL the songs were not single worthy (meaning Dream City & The Best Is Yet To Come, which I love, and I didn’t expect True Devotion to be released either), but even those weren’t bad but strong album tracks bringing it some added variety. I still think the only dud is Satisfaction.

Now let me play this classic.

2. Excellent post! I love the Samantha Fox album too bar Satisfaction which I've always hated as well.

Speaking of which, it must be time for my 6 monthly reminder that this is the best single Sam ever released, and one of the best singles of the 80s period

3. Once again we agree! It was criminal it didn't become the huge hit it deserved to be. I don't know, maybe Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now's success still somewhat shadowed I Surrender when it was released.

4. It was even more baffling that I Surrender wasn't even released in the US after Touch Me had been such a big hit for her in America as it has a similar sound (but is even better).

I've always had a soft spot for this album track too

5. That’s very strange indeed! What did they release as singles there? Nothing’s Gonna Stop Me Now? Did it do anything charts wise? And then Naughty Girls?

I love If Music Be The Food Of Love too! It’s silly, fun and very catchy.

supermusic and idratherjack like this.
  6. Her Wikipedia tells me that Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now got to the dizzy heights of #80 in America and then she bounced back with Naughty Girls (Need Love Too) which was her biggest US hit going all the way to #3.

7. Her first three albums are great and she made a great popstar. Relistening to Samantha Fox now too and it’s held up wonderfully.

8. I'm totally enamored with "(Hurt Me! Hurt Me!) But the Pants Stay On" and all the mixes of it, like "The Pants Come Off Mix." What an utterly bonkers song.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
  9. It's so deceptively hypnotic. I had written it off for years but I now think it is in my Top 3.

The debut is filler city, the self titled is almost all top notch, and of course I Wanna Have Some Fun is her masterpiece.

10. I just don’t think the record company knew who her audience would be with the first album and probably had no expectation of her having a global hit. I expect they thought she’d be a one hit wonder whose first single would be bought by lorry drivers.

11. I've always wondered why I Surrender wasn't released in the US.
    It's Touch Me (part 2) but a lot better! (even though she wanted Self Control part 2 and got that as well!)

12. It makes no sense as for many artists it was known in the US releasing something similar sounding to a big hit would guarantee at least one more hit. Hence both Naughty Girls and I Wanna Have Some Fun both gaining lots of radio support and going top 10.

13. I think this is very true in the U.K… sadly

supermusic and Remorque like this.
  14. Exactly. It was a no brainer, yet they didn't release it. Madness.

15. I am the worst because i forgot all about this brilliant song! Where is the seizure inducing performance from!?

Booers, supermusic and Remorque like this.
  16. Sam promoting her second album in1987

17. Loving this track ❤️

Remorque likes this.
  18. Island

Island Staff Member

I actually really like True Devotion. Imagine Sandra whispering through that song.

19. Loved the interview with Sam on the SAW podcast and that she got to discuss her whole career, not just the PWL material. She came across so well and really passionate about her music. I have everything crossed this mythical new album with Ian Masterson materialises next year!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.