Sailor Moon | Page 89 | The Popjustice Forum

Sailor Moon

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Jawshx, Oct 16, 2010.

1. He

He

My issue, and I guess the consensus, is that the original anime shined with amazing comedy, and making you care for the girls and their relationships. Of course, that didn't need 50 episodes per season to be accomplished, but those were the times, as well as the manga being written at the same time, and the show catching up and having to fill in time (Sailor Moon R).

I get and support the move towards a more succinct anime, but just barely animating the manga 1:1 without thinking what works best for tv and storytelling in general, reeks of cheapness. Never mind the monstrosity of some of the first two seasons animation-wise. It felt a bit lifeless, and empty, things moved at break-neck speed, with little impact. Season 3 was much better because the manga is at its best, and the animation improved.

Imagine if they had actually set aside resources and planned to merge the best of the original anime (character development, comedy) and manga (stronger mythology, no filler), and added some modern things (the senshi actually battling and action sequences). Maybe for the 50th anniversary.

Mr Blonde, berserkboi and DoggySwami like this.
  2. So after this film they’re finished?

3. I've finally started watching the original anime - up till now I'd only seen Crystal and read a little of the manga, but I didn't even remember much of Crystal. I think I had a hard time even understanding what was going on because of the combination of watching it subbed plus generally having a hard time understanding what's happening in action scenes, of which it had A LOT. I didn't really start to enjoy it until Ami and then Rei showed up, but I'm really liking it now. Though it is a drag that I'm halfway through season 1 and have only just met Makoto, and still haven't met Minako yet.

Honestly Ami is adorable and I've underrated her. And Usagi's very obvious crush on Makoto is incredibly relatable content.

4. Ok but Sailor Moon actually being melted into nothing, to then regenerate herself just because, and resurrecting half of the galaxy right after is iconic.

I actually really enjoyed the Stars arc in the manga, it was very bleak (The Dream Arc is fantastic too, I feel Nehellenia was the best villain design wise)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    He, flapjack- and johnny_tsunami like this.
  5. I got the second volume of Codename Sailor V at my usual comic store in Dublin and it's a delight. Sure it's silly and naive, but it's really charming and the drawing style is as gorgeous as usual. It feels like I'm going to sleep watching an episode of the classic anime every night.

berserkboi likes this.
  6. cuddle dungeon, Karvel and berserkboi like this.
  7. Almost a year away? This whole project is a frustrating mess. The last season was already like 4 years ago!

Osiris likes this.
  8. He

He

Are there plans to do the Stars arc?

9. Maybe in time for the 50th anniversary?

10. He

He

Scream.

I'm wearing the UNIQLO pink tie-dye Sailor Moon tee, and I love it. So at least they got those right.

11. Do they have them in men’s sizes? I wanted one but when I got an Animal Crossing tee from UNIQLO one time the female fit wasn’t exactly flattering on me.

I half joke about the 50th Anniversary thing but like, the Crystal project was announced for the TWENTIETH anniversary and it’s almost time for the 30th? You can only scream at the incompetence.ddd

RUNAWAY and He like this.
  12. He

He

Pretty sure it's a woman's fit, so the length is short. But I love how boxy it is, which is flattering to most, I think. The material is also nice, they're thick. I might get the Holy Grail one too.

They really fucked up the 20th anniversary thing. Like, they should have had a full season at the very least ready to go, with good animation and adaptation.

codecat likes this.
  13. nnñ sis I bought this t-shirt because of this post! Your impact!

[​IMG]

junglefish, johnny_tsunami and He like this.
  14. He

He

Oh, that one is cute too. I want it as well!

johnny_tsunami and codecat like this.
  15. He

He

This won't ever be not funny.
    [​IMG]

16. He

He

Just a couple more for the giggles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Crystal is iconic because of frames like this
    [​IMG]

johnny_tsunami likes this.
  18. He

He

This is one is almost too pretty for what they usually served.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my fave

[​IMG]

19. Wait....please tell me they fixed the animation for this Ddddd oh my LORD I cannot stop laughing.

BTG and He like this.
  20. He

He

Season 1 and 2 have some horrendous moments, and animation that rivalled this

But a lot of the obvious ugliness was fixed for the blu-ray release. And you could tell if they did not outsource everything and had longer time to make each episode, they could look very pretty (Jupiter's episode).

Season 3 looks mostly good, but they're still some pretty dodgy stuff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.