Saint Etienne. | Page 266 | The Popjustice Forum

Saint Etienne.

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Dennis, Jul 23, 2008.

1. I really don't get the home counties hatred on here. It's got great singles (especially Dive) and the rest is a nice solid listen. And 'Train driver's is a joy.

moorje and jakeyfw like this.
  2. Compared to the W&M era, the marketing & release for 'Home Counties' were noticeably less...polished.

'Heather' was an admittedly strange selection as the first sneak peek of the album. And then 'Magpie Eyes' was released nonchalantly & quietly.

I sometimes wonder if the way the album release was handled impacted people's impressions.

Patriku and letuinmybackdoor like this.
  3. For acts who aren't that big a seller, that kind of pre-release tracks is the norm now. It's about getting a taste of the palette of the album with a few pre release tracks rather than 'leading with a smash single'.

4. Thank you. I think what freaked me a bit, after a friend questioned the track list, was that Western Wind isn’t listed twice.

I have a boxset but am yet to listen to it, so I guess I’ll find out soon enough!

blissteria likes this.
  5. I personally loved Heather, felt strange and dark and had me excited for the album. i've listened to it a few times but i was disappointed generally

etienne likes this.
  6. I should probably try with Home Counties again. I haven't listened to anything from it besides Dive and Out Of My Mind since release week.

hownee likes this.
  7. Out of my mind is great. Try it in bits rather than one long sitting. Heather and Magpie Eyes are solid after a couple of listens, Train drivers in Eyeliner is wonderful and Something new is a nice start.

Timbo, etienne and Cundy like this.
    jakeyfw, ModeRed and moorje like this.
  9. I think I'll give this a miss. The original is shite.

Eric Generic likes this.
  10. Etienne singing Hobart Paving?!? Yes, please. I wonder if It will have Sarah’s backing vocals?

TrendyMüller and RUNAWAY like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.