Sam Smith - 4th Album | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

Sam Smith - 4th Album

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by BrokenHearts, Jan 3, 2022.

1. I also don't think Kim Petras adds much to this song and this could have been a Sam solo.

I don't get how hyped up they seem for this song, it's not good.

Digital_Fossil likes this.
  2. This feels like an overcorrection to make up for the bizarre Love Goes campaign, which was clearly an attempt to pivot Sam away from being femme and explicitly queer with the original scrapped To Die For LP. But I assume the label views things differently after Lil Nas X dominated last year. They should have just gone with what Sam was initially going for on To Die For, as opposed to whatever this record is shaping up to be.

3. All that I can say that I'm picturing lots of things for the music video to this one in my mind... And none of them are good.

4. Island

Island Staff Member

I feel like Sam doesn’t know what direction to go or is too nervous to really brand themselves that way musically in the long run. Honestly, whatever they release after this song will be the indicator for what’s next to come.

nbtsa, joe_alouder, matthew. and 6 others like this.
  5. No offence meant, but I really don't think Sam's idea of queerness (authentic to them as it may or may not be) can be much of a crowd-pleaser, any more than the weird auntie-down-the-pub aesthetic they went for with Love Me More or.... whatever it is they're doing now. To Die For/Love Goes had excellent songs on it, they should've just used the success/goodwill from Lonely Hour to comfortably transition into a Radio 2 singer/songwriter (but yes, with electronics) and leave the pop-star-ing to someone people actually want to see dance around in denim cut-offs.

Edit: I've just re-watched the video for Promises and would argue that *that* is the sweet spot Sam should be aiming for - great song, they look pretty hot and it's all very queer without being cringey.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022 at 1:56 AM
    nbtsa and POPGASM like this.
  6. It’s been a while since I’ve been so…disturbed by a song. Like I haven’t listened to it since my first play earlier and I’m still shook at what I heard. It’s like it has left me haunted. Just such a bad vibe around this whole thing.

7. My FYP is just people talking shit about how long it took for the song to come out and how underwhelming it is. Iconic.

8. Spooky season is here!

Ferk and Digital_Fossil like this.
  9. I know it's kinda reductive but I wouldn't mind a Bloom styled record from Sam. Like, this would be great fit.

10. The whole song is just bizarre. There are about a dozen ideas in the lyrics and production, and none of them are fleshed out and none of them blend together.

11. Is it just me or is the melody an obvious sample? Feels so done before…?

spaceship likes this.
  12. I actually think the song is a bop but Sam isn't going to give it the full era "popstar" treatment that would elevate it (provocative video, appearance, performances) to make it feel less like playing at being a fully fledged, capital P, popstar.

13. This is something that a 14 year old twink would record over an instrumental they found on youtube titled "Promiscuous Girl Style Timbaland Beat, 2006, Roman Holiday, Iggy Azaelia, Problem."

Embarrassing all around. Sam and Kim retiring from the music industry would be a blessing.

Rob, Wishlight, Ferk and 2 others like this.
  14. What’s truly sending me is the fact that they censored the word ‘shit’ … and that explains Sam’s problem. They’re too afraid to upset the UK Karens and their Ellas so we get these weird songs that go nowhere.

Nephilim, londonrain and Ferk like this.
  15. I love that song.gif

16. One of the worst things I've heard in a long time. Like, actively shithouse, not just "meh".

It's a shame because however cringe I find Sam as an individual, the music itself has remained steadily pretty sound. Up till today.

17. There's also something insanely cringe about this white person who got their start singing ballads switching to lyrics like 'She be poppin it'... they’re down bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2022 at 7:40 AM
  18. They are not a man.

londonrain and Jones322 like this.
  19. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Please be mindful of pronouns going forward. The post was edited but it’s imperative that everyone is aware of this individual’s pronouns. Thanks!

Sam, nbtsa, londonrain and 14 others like this.
  20. This is one of the worst songs I've heard all year.

Ferk, blaze_dave and heavymetalGAGA like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.