Sam Smith - Gloria | The Popjustice Forum

Sam Smith - Gloria

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by BrokenHearts, Jan 3, 2022.

1. It seems the new album is coming this year. They've been working with Stargate and (rumour) Mark Ronson. The album will be more guitar centre.

B.A.D. likes this.
  2. New single Love Me More. Video to be filmed later this month and released soon after. Classic sound, anthemic, dancey feel. Album later in the year.

nbtsa, Mikal, Daniel L and 3 others like this.
    nbtsa and SlowBurn like this.
  4. But Sam's classic sound is anything but dancey?

5. The classic 'we'll say whatever the public wants to hear' era has begun.

6. Exciting artwork.

7. Record a whole album with Disclosure challenge or just keep doling out the slop that people expect much like Adele. Always glimmers of hope but yet…

8. There were a few genuine moments of brilliance on the last album: Diamonds, Dancing With a Stranger and How Do You Sleep and it perfectly showcased a side of Sam we hadn’t seen before.

How Do You Sleep still sounds incredible and it’s still such a joy.

But the final album as a whole? Meh, very hit or miss and I get the impression that with the delays etc the album’s identity change significantly at the last moment. It really felt as though the label panicked at the last moment that it didn’t sound like a typical Sam Smith album and packed it full of dull ballards.

That said, I’m excited to hear what they’ve been cooking up!

9. I can’t get over how disappointing the last campaign was, even though it started out incredibly promising.

10. You’d think that record labels would recognise that the GP are more likely to stick with an artist if they are allowed to create their own sound and styles not being forced to recreate your last success it rarely works, short sighted business men.

neinzedd likes this.
  11. Those first few singles were so good and then that delay happened and it was clear what was going on, meddling and throwing mundane shit in cause either Sam or the label got scared.

Jordtayylor, neinzedd and mindtrappa like this.
  12. I still think of this performance and how it felt like a real moment for them.

j267 and nbtsa like this.
  13. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

It still amazes me how disastrous the last album campaign was. Dancing With a Stranger being almost two years old by the time the album was released was an absolute mess. Not to mention the singles being great and there being like... two salvageable album tracks at most. Tragic.

14. Remember when Dancing With a Stranger and How Do You Sleep? were relegated to bonus tracks? Ugh, Love Goes had 11/12 good tracks (including To Die For), but everything went to shit after the delay and album title change. I really hope he has recorded some uptempo songs for this album, I really enjoyed his pop star persona.

neinzedd likes this.
  15. Yes stream Love Me More!

Marquis, 2014, amtam and 4 others like this.
  16. Co-written by Sam and longtime collaborator Jimmy Napes. Produced by Stargate who worked with them both on Dancing with a Stranger.

Nephilim and SlowBurn like this.
    nbtsa likes this.
  18. No wonder this is out very fast now that 30 is dead in the water for a while now. Seems like... It's giving... What is expected.

19. This sounds... fine.

I echo what people have said above about feeling hungry for some more uptempo stuff.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.