Sam Smith - Gloria | Page 18 | The Popjustice Forum

Sam Smith - Gloria

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by BrokenHearts, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Didn't they just record/add a few new songs and change the tracklist? I can't imagine anything brilliant was bumped off.

Wishlight, inevitable, Mikal and 2 others like this.
  2. The more I think about it, the more I realize the optics are a PR dream. A non-binary and a trans artist with an actual hit? It’s a win for media outlets and Instagram activists. It doesn’t even matter any more if the song is good or not.

3. I mean, we’ll never know (hence the user saying to leak the original), but it was definitely significantly watered down just off what Sam had been saying about the material and how they were presenting themselves, not to mention the album art/title. The project was clearly going for something more explicitly queer visually and sonically before everything changed and became more… MOR. Although I don’t miss “I’m Ready” at all.

But like I said before, it’s kind of funny now with “Unholy” being the direct opposite of all that.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  4. I don't think To Die For original album was going to be that much different. Maybe a few less ballads but nothing sounds that out of place.They did leave off I Feel Love though.

I was more annoyed that they changed the art direction to what we got, it was just so beige.

5. Yeah, I don’t think it would have been worlds away. And the original songs are still tacked on as bonus tracks. But that’s kind of what makes the whole ordeal kind of annoying dd.

6. I'm very doubtful they dislike or disagreed with this song though, all the opposite nn. I feel like they do want to be in the spotlight and bounce back from their recent ~flops and if Unholy had to happen for that then so be it.

7. Thinking Sam's having their arm twisted by anyone to release this, gives their taste a historically unwarranted amount of credit.

8. How about we all collectively stream Holy instead of this?

9. Why wasn’t there a streaming service intern gay when this one time, we need one? He could have sabotaged this, as he listened to the song instead of just giving it a “organic” boost on the platforms for the credits & TikTok performance… While killing it, he said out loud: NO! NO!

Digital_Fossil likes this.
  10. This abominable song's slow, menacing ascension is scary to me!!

Verandi and inevitable like this.
  11. You play it at the Body Shop

12. Bop!

13. I don't hate this? I can see why it'd be the type of track to polarise though (their own 'Bon Appetite').

14. The replies and quote RTs are sending me… it’s not just us here trying to understand the runaway success with locals/Tiktok.

15. Bon Appétit, sweetie, I am so sorry…

16. I’m so baffled by the success of this. Am I finally out of touch? I thought I’d make it to my 30s before that happened!!!!

17. I've seen it described as hyperpop elsewhere and like...a Kim Petras verse + pots and pans do not a hyperpop song make

18. Forget the never-ending pandemic and cost of living crisis, forget the fact we’re teetotaling on the brink of catastrophic climate collapse, forget the potential nuclear war that will be brazenly ushered in by an unhinged Russian dictator, it’s this song spending three days at number one globally that should finally convince the powers that be to move the doomsday clock another second closer to midnight.

19. I still can’t wrap my head around that the fact this was a perfect opportunity to discriminate against any of the artists, as the song is total shit. And no-one sadly did?

20. Seeing my gay acquaintances eat this up on social media has me wondering if I truly am taking crazy pills by not hearing anything in this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.