Sam Smith - Gloria | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

Sam Smith - Gloria

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by BrokenHearts, Jan 3, 2022.

1. I sadly heard this for the first time today and y’all weren’t kidding about the Kim part. She said let an AI bot write my verse

LPT, londonrain, nooniebao and 18 others like this.
  2. Finally listened to Unholy and I must say that the title fits. What a rotten piece of garbage. Get taste, GP.

hollaa01, Liberty, Mr.Arroz and 4 others like this.
  3. Their new Christmas song is actually quite nice.

Juango likes this.
  4. We’ve been saying this years and it will never happens. This is the same GP who worship at the altar of Ed Sheeran’s mediocrity.

Jones322, Juango, Jordtayylor and 3 others like this.
  5. I might be a tiny bit obsessed with the Disclosure remix, oops.

Wishlight, Mikal, jawow_ and 3 others like this.
  6. This seems like a fun chat with Michelle Visage (how do you embed reels on PJ?)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  7. To be honest, the music is good, its the lyrics that make me cringe hard.

Digital_Fossil likes this.
  8. I think what turns me off most about Unholy is just how bad Sam sounds on it. It's unlistenable and I'm by no means a stickler for vocals.

Verandi, londonrain and Shuey like this.
  9. Unholy is… an Imagine Dragons song.

10. RMK

RMK

They also do a scalding 'worst songs' list. I'm shocked they'd drag Can't Stop The Feeling and not lump this in with it.

Shuey likes this.
  11. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Sam's vocals have always been way too warbly and grating, it's so much worse on ballads. Also poor Des'ree!

londonrain, sesita, drewsky and 3 others like this.
  12. I will always remember this abortion of a song as the one that confirmed I am Too Old and Out of Touch compared to the generation after me. May it burn.

13. soratami likes this.
  14. (I deleted after looking at the list because it didn't really apply considering practically the whole top 10 is TikTok hits ff)

londonrain and Vasilios like this.
  15. I find quite strange that the Japanese edition of the album does not include any bonus tracks...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  16. "Gimme" expected January 13, 2023.

Track lengths
    1. Love Me More - 3:23
    2. No God - 3:17
    3. Hurting Interlude - 0:18
    4. Lose You - 3:10
    5. Perfect (feat. Jessie Reyez) - 3:51
    6. Unholy (feat. Kim Petras) - 2:36
    7. How To Cry - 2:40
    8. Six Shots - 2:30
    9. Gimme (feat. Koffee & Jessie Reyez) - 2:49
    10. Dorothy's Interlude - 0:08
    11. I'm Not Here To Make Friends - 3:49
    12. Gloria - 1:50
    13. Who We Love (feat. Ed Sheeran) - 2:42

17. Janet her impact

18. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Was it Sam's laundry day or something? That... ensemble is quite something. It's giving "I ran to the shops for a pint of milk so just threw a jacket over what I was already wearing."

This is acceptable, but yeah, the fundamental issue I have with Sam is that vocal tone. It's what made me loathe Money On My Mind. Having said that, he's really dialled it back on this cover and the rendition benefits massively as a result.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.