Saturday Night Live

Definitely got the vibe that this was going to be her final season but I expected a big goodbye in May especially because she missed the first few episodes of this season. That tweet says it all honestly, she was one of the best to ever do the damn thing, and when we talk about her tenure on the show a few years from now, it's going to be in the same breath as Hartman and Hader and Poehler, and it's going to be so deserved.

This really feels like the semi-official end of this weird, overlong and formless era the show has been stuck in since 2016. It'll be over for real when Che and Jost leave the show at the end of the season (like, it has to be coming right? They've just looked so over it this season until a cast member comes out to do a segment. The most emotion they've showed was this week, and it was Jost looking absolutely devastated when saying goodbye to Cecily).

I think Colin and Che are pretty popular no? Weekend Update always gets good views on YouTube and a good response from the studio audience. Personally I love them on Weekend Update.

The bigger problem is some of the sketches feel tame or stale, but recently I think it's on good form and a nice run of hosts. I'm not sure I need a new era, but it would be nice if Heidi and Ego could become the MVPs now and Chloe could get more of a look-in.

Cecily got, like, the most celebrated send-off they ever did for anyone. Deserved! Truly my all-time fave.

he/him
I know Colin and Che aren't well regarded here, but they have good chemistry and are frequently both the perfect straight man (nn) for more outrageous performers like Sarah, Cecily or Marcello, much in the way Seth Meyers was during his time at SNL.

Having said that, I do think the Update desk definitely could use some shaking up at this point (we need more female anchors dammit!). I still fully believe Ego would be great.

That was, overall, a pretty strong episode. I thought Cecily's incredible Jeanine Pirro wine-soaked send-off on last year's season finale was going to be her last show. I'm so sad to see her go and while, yes, there are some talented cast members remaining, none of them have that special spark she did.

It’s getting stranger and stranger to see Colin and Michael still hosting Weekend Update and then basically never appear on the show before or after (Colin’s brief run as Mayor Pete notwithstanding). Pretty sure Amy Poehler was still in plenty of sketches while she was an anchor? And they’re not even Head Writers anymore so that’s no longer a justification. Nowadays it feels to me like a weird, obligatory, momentum-killing pit stop.

Favorite Cecily moments that quickly come to mind (acknowledging the fact that I could spend the rest of my days listing favorite Cecily moments):

-“Wow! That’s a perfect romantic story! My boyfriend’s a little older. He took me to a steak house and sat at a different table from me. He just watched me enjoy my steak. They even had cloth napkins! When I was walking out, his car pulled up and a tinted window rolled down, and the crack was big enough so I could see one eyeball. He winked at me and said, ‘Thanks for letting me watch you eat that sirloin!’ My boyfriend’s crazy…”

-“You’re just a loser who could never afford to eat at Terrazano’s. So you made it your pathetic life’s little mission to destroy the people who can… Stop yelling at me!! I can’t be yelled at. My dad was a really messed up guy. He was really messed up… but he would never do this to me! Not at Terrazano’s!!”

-“Yes, it is I. The boy who will never grow up. And yes, you heard me, I’m a boy. The most gorgeous womanly boy with shiny bright eyes and feminine features. A boy!”

Last edited:

RainOnFire

Staff member
That was, overall, a pretty strong episode. I thought Cecily's incredible Jeanine Pirro wine-soaked send-off on last year's season finale was going to be her last show. I'm so sad to see her go and while, yes, there are some talented cast members remaining, none of them have that special spark she did.

I think Cecily's departure felt like a waiting game after this performance, it really did feel like a perfect swan song so it was a bit surprising to see her return after it, even more so after Aidy and Kate left. That being said, I feel like her leaving now feels kind of abrupt with the announcement coming only a few hours before the show aired, so clearly I don't know what I was expecting nn. I'm gonna miss her a ton.

It’s getting stranger and stranger to see Colin and Michael still hosting Weekend Update and then basically never appear on the show before or after (Colin’s brief run as Mayor Pete notwithstanding). Pretty sure Amy Poehler was still in plenty of sketches while she was an anchor? And they’re not even Head Writers anymore so that’s no longer a justification. Nowadays it feels to me like a weird, obligatory, momentum-killing pit stop.

Favorite Cecily moments that quickly come to mind (acknowledging the fact that I could spend the rest of my days listing favorite Cecily moments):

-“Wow! That’s a perfect romantic story! My boyfriend’s a little older. He took me to a steak house and sat at a different table from me. He just watched me enjoy my steak. They even had cloth napkins! When I was walking out, his car pulled up and a tinted window rolled down, and the crack was big enough so I could see one eyeball. He winked at me and said, ‘Thanks for letting me watch you eat that sirloin!’ My boyfriend’s crazy…”

-“You’re just a loser who could never afford to eat at Terrazano’s. So you made it your pathetic life’s little mission to destroy the people who can… Stop yelling at me!! I can’t be yelled at. My dad was a really messed up guy. He was really messed up… but he would never do this to me! Not at Terrazano’s!!”

-“Yes, it is I. The boy who will never grow up. And yes, you heard me, I’m a boy. The most gorgeous womanly boy with shiny bright eyes and feminine features. A boy!”

Oh my gosh, each of those quotes made me chuckle, but I have zero memory of the sketches they're from. Feel free to post the actual sketches if they're available!

Goober the Clown will be my highlight of Cessily's run I think. SNL comedy can be pretty toothless but it really stands out and is probably a top 5 update piece for me.

But as always, fuck ups are generally more memorable and I absolutely love her in this.

People were ready to say the show was dead at the beginning of the year because of the cast exodus and the host quality, but it always bounces back.

The Aubrey episode was good, Aubrey fit right in and elevated sketches plus the cast picked up right where they left off. Hopefully the writing room gets a shake up soon, get rid of some of those writers that are still writing stuff that's more tailored to the Kate-era instead of writing for these newer performers.