Saturday Night Live

The last 48 hours have gone like this for me:
I load up one clip, then replay it a bunch of times, then switch to the other one, replay it more than a bunch of times, and then go back to the first one and repeat the process. And they remain gutbustingly hilarious.

SNL feels so fresh and funny right now. The writing has become much weirder (and more meta), it's really on strong form. Sarah in this weekend update bit had me creasing (she looks like an extra from the set of the Never Really Over video dd). Maybe her best roast of Colin yet.

Molly's bit about trans rights was also funny, they're coming into their own quite nicely. Obsessed with how Mikey and the others had to hold their last supper poses and not break for five minutes in that cold open.

The weekend update a couple of weeks ago where Che coached the audience not to laugh at Colin's jokes fucking ended me, he could not get over it.

And Heidi as the mysteriously busy co-worker was such a scream.

RainOnFire

Staff member
Sarah's roast of Colin as Genesis Fry was absolutely incredible - her Sarah News bits are funny enough but this one felt next-level, all the little offhand comments especially ("wow your hands are so soft, you've never done an honest day's work in your life"). I want to quote other parts but I'd end up writing the entire script, it was fantastic.

Mikey is so good in roles like this ("uh-oh!" "yummy!"):

And this one was super simple but still had me laughing:

Now that SNL has welcomed a featured player who identifies as non-binary (as well as a musical guest who identifies as non-binary), it really bugs me that they insist on having the host introduce the musical guest by saying “Ladies and Gentlemen…” Such a simple thing that could be changed to make for a more affirming vibe.

I assume the lack of posts about Lisa from Temecula 2.0 means that I am not alone in my disappointment? I understand that they try to hit similar beats with recurring characters, but there‘s “similar“ and then there’s “the same exact Mad Libs skeleton with new words filled in.” The only thing I can think of to compare is how Drunk Uncle was always “puns on modern technology”/“high pitched singing of commercial jingle or song”/“starts crying and listing pop culture references“ — Swap in Carmen Sandiego for Antonio Banderas, ”toss my salad” for “cook my meat,” “cause we gay?” for “cause we Black?” and there you go.

RainOnFire

Staff member
I assume the lack of posts about Lisa from Temecula 2.0 means that I am not alone in my disappointment? I understand that they try to hit similar beats with recurring characters, but there‘s “similar“ and then there’s “the same exact Mad Libs skeleton with new words filled in.” The only thing I can think of to compare is how Drunk Uncle was always “puns on modern technology”/“high pitched singing of commercial jingle or song”/“starts crying and listing pop culture references“ — Swap in Carmen Sandiego for Antonio Banderas, ”toss my salad” for “cook my meat,” “cause we gay?” for “cause we Black?” and there you go.
Nn yes it didn't work. Honestly the entire thing went left for me when the table barely shook at the start - Ego mentioned that had happened in the original version's dress rehearsal which is why no one was sure if the sketch would even work, and we basically got to see why. It picked up after that but it felt like the moment had passed.

I also think a big part of what made the original so hilarious and rewatchable was Pedro breaking, kind of like the iconic Debbie Downer sketch and how Lindsay & the rest of the cast completely lost it - Ana broke a little but not to the same extent, so it lost some of the humour there too.

I don't necessarily blame them for trying, but sometimes these things are lightning-in-a-bottle moments that can't be replicated (which is why Debbie Downer never worked again, for me at least, despite them trying multiple times).

It was disappointing. The exact same jokes but less funny, down to her thinking the guest is hitting on her. It's a great character but you have to make other absurd situations for her to be in, not the exact same scenario but salad instead of steak. Repetition doesn't work.

Agreed about the repeat of Lisa from Temecula being a flop. The lack of any creativity in repeating it was disappointing because I do think it’s a character that could have had legs.

However Ego remains a delight and shes my favourite of the current cast.

Lisa from Temecula coming back is like when they brought Debbie Downer back and it wasn't as good because the first time was lightning in a bottle. It's the show indulging in its worst habits with recurring characters.

The Pete episode could be the last one of the season thanks to the looming WGA strike. With Matt Schatt coming back and Mikey getting a lot to do in this last stretch of the season, I'm starting to think he might be leaving. I've really come around to him in this half of the season after being meh on him for so long, so I'd be kind of bummed if he did leave.

Marcello is proving as the best of the newbies in sketches but honestly Longfellow isn't far behind. Both of them just have such confidence in their comedic voices and are good at writing for themselves. Molly is such a nice presence and you can see how they've grown since the Keke episode. Devon was probably the weakest at the outset but again, definitely grown and it seems like Kenan and James Austin Johnson have taken him under their wings which has only helped him. I hope they all come back next season, but if anything they've all got the edge on poor Aristotle who would've thrived this season if they kept him on.

RainOnFire

Staff member
Jennifer would've been an incredible host and the perfect person to end what's been a pretty fantastic season. This really sucks.

I know some of us have been predicting that this might be Mikey's last season, but now I hope it isn't because he deserves a proper sendoff. He's been one of the most reliable cast members of the past few years.

I can see this changing their plans and keeping people on til Christmas like Cecily did. A bigger name like Mikey anyway. Was anybody else likely to leave?

The Rock and Jonah Hill were supposed to host in November 2007 before the 07-08 strike cancelled them, and they got their episodes rescheduled. Hopefully we see Jennifer and Kieran in season 49 after the strike is resolved (with the WGA getting everything they want of course). Kieran especially because I thought his first episode was one of the best of that season.

I don't know if Mikey is staying or leaving, but it seems like he was aware enough of the strike happening that he got to have some really great episodes before he left and the return of Matt Schatt in the Ana de Armas episode as kind of a full circle moment for him. Colin and Michael are the other two I'm curious about because they seemed really punchy, like there was a light at the end of the tunnel towards the second half of the season. I wouldn't be surprised if all three of them come back and leave midseason and the Update desk transitions to Longfellow doing it solo.