Saturday Night Live

He/Him
The Rock and Jonah Hill were supposed to host in November 2007 before the 07-08 strike cancelled them, and they got their episodes rescheduled. Hopefully we see Jennifer and Kieran in season 49 after the strike is resolved (with the WGA getting everything they want of course). Kieran especially because I thought his first episode was one of the best of that season.
Amy Winehouse was supposed to be the Musical Guest with The Rock and I'm still bummed we never got that.

he/him
Thinking about Sandra Oh's iconic episode from 2019

I hope she gets to host again in the future. Preferably Tishy and her gewwwwd goo-goo also make a return.

Also I genuinely hope Mikey stays on for a while, he's found such a great groove in the last few years.

Give the writers what they want, writers are the creative lifeblood of the industry and in fact the world etc etc etc

But I’m really sad SNL isn’t on right now because there was a perfect opportunity for a fresh take on an old sketch:

IMG_2396.png

This is the second piece about SNL alum being at the head of extremely toxic work environments this year, following the story about the showrunners at The Other Two. Jimmy's behavior seems to have been a not-so-secret secret, but I wonder how this will affect the show.

"Rolling Stone contacted more than 80 past and present Tonight Show employees. Not a single one had positive things to say about working on The Tonight Show."

I think this will finally get NBC to a place where they can no longer continue ignoring some of the substance issues that have been kind of an open secret for years now since several paragraphs in that story seem to point to those issues having a huge impact on the work environment. Maybe they get someone else in there to oversee the whole situation, but it all depends on how far away this story is from the resolution of the strike.

The Other Two situation was really disappointing to read about too, like oh they were literally just writing themselves.

I think this will finally get NBC to a place where they can no longer continue ignoring some of the substance issues that have been kind of an open secret for years now since several paragraphs in that story seem to point to those issues having a huge impact on the work environment.
Yeah, I don't say this to excuse Jimmy at all (there are literally quotes from staffers saying that the situation was so bad that they were suicidal), but the substance issue makes me quite sad. I'm sure people have tried to help behind the scenes, but it's something that has felt like an open secret for a long time. Given that they've changed showrunners basically every year, I don't think new management will change things – I think Jimmy needs to step down and get himself some help.

This is moving further away from the thread itself, but with Kimmel discussing being ready for retirement and now this, I think we may (finally) be near a proper late-night shakeup. It's time to get some women and people of color into prominent late-night roles.

Jimmy won’t vacate The Tonight Show, at most he’ll acknowledge a problem and say he’s seeking treatment. Particularly since that article makes it seem like staffers felt his bad days were always related to alcohol, rather than just being an awful person (not an excuse but an explanation etc).

he/him
I've been seeing blind items about his alleged alcohol issue for years now, so unfortunately nothing in that article is shocking. I hope he gets help if he does have a substance addiction, and my heart goes out to the showrunners and employees that were pushed to their limits.

Conan recently interviewed Jim Downey, one of the most beloved and longest serving SNL writers of all time. It's a very entertaining and interesting interview -- very inside baseball for the SNL geeks.

I cried at Heidi this one. I love her manic physical comedy and she's serving strong "extremely busy co-worker" reprise here. The random misogynistic Mad Men energy is a slay.

"I think I'm done meeting her"

Pretty good first episode back, Pete smashed it. The monologue was so dark ffff.

I cried at Heidi this one. I love her manic physical comedy and she's serving strong "extremely busy co-worker" reprise here. The random misogynistic Mad Men energy is a slay.

"I think I'm done meeting her"

Pretty good first episode back, Pete smashed it. The monologue was so dark ffff.

Yes, loved this sketch. Just the right amount of bonkers.

There was a review of this episode in The Atlantic that I kind of liked that remarked upon the use of Spanish in this and the Pedro Pascal and Ana de Armas episodes from last season that I really liked. You don't even have to go back that far in the show's history to see how they've treated Latino hosts before (and Latino culture, and Latino cast members like Fred Armisen who maybe had his best cameo role ever in last night's episode). In 2016 there was the "Diego Calls His Mom" sketch from the Lin-Manuel Miranda episode and then not really much else until last year when Marcello joined the cast.

Anyways. Marcello Hernandez is a star, someone get Oscar Isaac back to host soon and let's make Pedro Pascal a Five Timer.

The goodnights segment is great for people watching. If you pay attention you'll find a lot of cute, intimate, awkward, funny, and/or interesting moments. I noticed Gaga and Kenan also had a cute moment, like they were really happy to see each other again.

Low-key you can also sometimes tell who isn't quite gelling with everyone else.