Save Your Rates For Someone Like Me: Allie X Rate #18 | Page 18 | The Popjustice Forum

Save Your Rates For Someone Like Me: Allie X Rate #18

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by SophiaSophia, Nov 16, 2020.

?

Favourite Allie X Release?

1. CollXtion I

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. CollXtion II: Ʉnsolved

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. CollXtion II

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Super Sunset

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  5. Cape God

12 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. I agree. I also agree that a slightly different Alexandra would be nice too.

Remorque likes this.
  2. It's another beautiful moment but admittedly so low-key of one that you either are immediately struck by it or never will be.

Remorque, Glitterizer and Pinky25 like this.
  3. [​IMG]

The title of today’s result feels rather apt...

[​IMG]

What Have I Done

Average: 6.850

Total Points: 34.250

Total Number of Voters: 5

Highest Scores: 9 @DinahLee, 8.5 @RUNAWAY

Lowest Scores: 3 @Ana Raquel

The momentary pause from ousting tracks from Ladies and Gentlemen continues as What Have I Done exits at #57. For a piano ballad it’s very blasé and forgettable but I’ve never been a huge lover of them anyway. I find the lyricism a little twee and middle of the road too. In my opinion she should have been thinking ‘What Have I Done’ by ever putting this on a album in the first place.

Cutlery (7.75):

“It’s a pretty ballad. The lyrics are evocative to memories of a sadder past. Not the song cutting off at the end though dd.”

4. Ouch! Somehow there's still like six songs I gave negative scores to from the Allie Hughes years that are still in

Remorque, aux and Untouchable Ace like this.
  5. I kinda expected this to flop but I find it so beautiful. Cutlery did a nice commentary, I think the way it evokes such a vivid image full of... nostalgia and sadness? and her vocals are bearable so it's a win at this point dd.

I wasn't really a fan of piano ballads but listening to her early songs back in 2015\16 really changed my mind about it in music (general) tbh.

Eating popcorn and drinking diet coke, yeah.

Remorque, Pinky25, aux and 3 others like this.
  6. I actually do like piano ballads. I wouldn’t mind more Alexandra type songs. I’m also pretty sure that I have one of the highest scores for the demo of Casanova too.

Remorque likes this.
  7. I actually enjoy this more than everything else Hughes that's been eliminated so far, it's nice to hear the upper end of her range. She was pretty averse to it Collxtion II–Super Sunset, but it complements the piano beautifully.

Wouldn't mind a batch elims in twos or threes until we get to the top 50, as long as it wouldn't be too much work. The stakes have been pretty low so far.

Remorque and Cutlery like this.
  8. This isn’t necessary because after the next result there will be two songs going as there is a tie anyway and I’m just trying to have enough time for potential discussion between results.

9. [​IMG]

It’s finally time to get rid of a song that’s overstayed it’s welcome...

[​IMG]
    Sunflower Synth Reprise

Average: 6.899

Total Points: 262.150

Total Number of Voters: 38

My Score: 6

Highest Scores: 10 @Andy French, 9.5 @Conan, 9.25 @Glitterizer, 9 x3 @daninternational, @finito & @RUNAWAY

Lowest Scores: 5 @Sail On, 3 @collxtion, 2 @imaduck, 0 @Gemini

The second song from the Sierra Burgess Is A Loser soundtrack finally exits. I do think this should have left before Alexandra and Misbelieving did. I find this completely underwhelming like Kid Wonder and those synths deserved better lyrics. I think the movie version was enough that it didn’t need a synth version too. As a stand-alone Allie X song I just can’t get into this due to its juvenile nature.

Glitterizer (9.25):

“This is such a little gem. The lyrics are kind of juvenile, but they're so earnest that it just works. It's a touching song.” This song needs way more polishing to be called a gem.

daninternational (9):

“A strong effort with nice lyrics, but definitely a soundtrack-first song.” Compared to other Allie X songs left in the rate this doesn’t compare.

Cutlery (7.25):

“I can't shake the feeling that the key she's singing in and the synths sound a little discordant dd. It's a nice moment of balladry, albeit sometimes sounding a bit unfinished. And "But I'm a sunflower, a little funny / If I was a rose, maybe you'd want me" is heartbreaking in how earnest it is and the emotional delivery.” Maybe it’s just me but I think roses as an analogy are very cliche in terms of lyricism.

collxtion (3):

“I cut this one a bit more slack than Kid Wonder just for having a logical tie to the narrative of Sierra Burgess. The songwriting is basic and clunky, but in a believable way, as though a high schooler actually wrote it. I’m still bitter than Leland gave the one solid Allie-penned pop song on this soundtrack (The Other Side) to Betty Who, the snippet in the movie trailer sounds miles more fun than the two we got.” The song works in context of the film but as an Allie X song it’s way too juvenile lyrically. The Betty Who song is miles better.

imaduck (2):

“Always felt like a throw away outtake, something has to be first out though right.” This hasn’t aged well, this actually ended up being the 4th Allie X song to leave the rate.

Gemini (0):

“This song kind of puts me to sleep.” Her singing is more like lulling I suppose.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  10. Hey there @Glitterizer

11. Y’all are so weird about Sunflower. The “juvenile” lyrics don’t bother me at all and I love the soundscape.

12. Being juvenile is a valid part of life and I always have a soft spot for songs that explore that POV.

13. I wrote commentary when Kid Wonder was eliminated about sunflower and then trimmed to repost it once the song was actually out but I have no clue of what it was dddd.

The Other Side being the good song... now THAT was a Synth Reprise we needed.

14. I think the “juvenile” lyrics of Kid Wonder and Sunflower is a part of their charm.

15. Sunflower was written from the perspective of/in the voice of a high school character, which is why I rate it differently than Kid Wonder. I’m still not interested in it, but I think it at least justifies its existence.

16. [​IMG]

I never pictured this result happening...

But what a coincidence indeed...

[​IMG]

Something Isn’t Right (3:03)

Average: 7.000

Total Points: 35.000

Highest Scores: 9 @Ana Raquel, 8.5 @RUNAWAY

Lowest Scores: 5.5 @BubblegumBoy, 5 @Cutlery

I think out of all of the Allie Hughes songs I’ve heard so far this one has caught my attention the most as it’s so macabre and theatrical. The way she utilises her higher register to an almost operatic tone in the chorus is really striking and the best thing about this. I do however find the outro a bit too long and pointless.

Ana Raquel (9):

“OOOOOOh, this sounds like a campy-spooky song from a pop culture heavy halloween movie. Right up my alley.”

Cutlery (5):

“Not sure if it's the least listenable version of the song.”

[​IMG]

Something Isn’t Right (2:02)

Average: 7.000

Total Points: 35.000

Highest Scores: 8.5 @Ana Raquel, 8 x2 @RUNAWAY, @DinahLee

Lowest Scores: 5.5 @BubblegumBoy, 5 @Cutlery

Out of the two versions this is the one I prefer more I think the added guitar really lifts the song and gives it some urgency the other version hasn’t. The chorus remains the strongest part of both versions but I just wish this version wasn’t a low fi recording.

Cutlery (5):

“Not the best version.”

17. I can't say much about these that hasn't been said in the elimination post, so well done!

I hope 'Damaged Nail' follows suit.

Remorque likes this.
  18. [​IMG]

This next result is sure to get a reaction...

[​IMG]

Purge

Average: 7.009

Total Points: 266.350

Total Number of Voters: 38

My Score: 5

Highest Scores: 10 x4 @RUNAWAY, @Trinu 3.0, @collxtion & @Holly Something, 9.5 @daninternational, 9 x3 @fatyoshi, @Gemini & @ohnostalgia

Lowest Scores: 4 @sfmartin, 3 @Ana Raquel, 2 @Verandi, 0 @Hurricane Drunk

Lyrically I love this but I currently have no desire to come back to this in demo form despite the raw vulnerability in her vocals that just tugs at my heartstrings. This is one of the few ballads she’s done where you can feel every word she sings and how she is tormented and suffocated by the toxicity. Lyrically it’s soul destroying and as a listener I want to ease her pain and suffering. It’s just a shame that the overall quality of the recording just makes a little difficult for me to enjoy listening to. But I would love to hear a finished version some day otherwise those heart wrenching lyrics would go to waste which would be an absolute shame.

RUNAWAY (10):

“so emotionally jarring and stunning. I love this song so much, and played it more than any other Allie song the year this came out.” Unfortunately I can’t relate the inner balladphobe in me always wins.

collxtion (10):

“Full marks for this ballad-that-got-away. Almost five years later and I would still die to hear a produced version of this… or even a live rendition. That said, the hazy, echoed quality of the voice memo adds a fragility that might be stamped out by a professional recording; a true catch-22.” I feel with Purge it’s a case of less is more but for me I would prefer to hear a finalised version instead.

daniinternational (9.5):

“Love a good pop ballad, and this one with its title and vocals is a great example of it.” Once again I can’t relate, I have to be floored by a ballad to declare it good thankfully lyrically and vocally Purge does this.

Gemini (9):

“I think Purge is one of her best ballads across her discography. It's a shame there isn't a more final version of it released but I'm glad we got this anyways.” I agree with you, I think Madame X comes close to the same quality as Purge too.

Glitterizer (8.75):

“I wish this song was recorded and finished properly, there's a lot of potential here. The lo-fi non-production unfortunately shaves off a few points from it for me.” This is exactly the reasoning for my own score.

Cutlery (7):

“It’s a nice piano demo, but the real puncher are the lyrics. Tumor pt. II but more sinister and somewhat coming as an aftermath, where the mass is gone but the symptoms of infection still linger within her. I doubt it would’ve worked that well with the tracks in CollXtion II, and I can’t really imagine what could’ve worked for its final production.”

[​IMG]

Remorque, Trinu 3.0, Sail On and 19 others like this.
  19. A happy reaction! This is literally the only rate i'm participating in where my low scores are actually leaving first. Every thing is going to plan so far.

20. I don't think there's much more to be said besides what our host and commentary already got across. Let me play this now while I heat my dinner x

Remorque and Untouchable Ace like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.