Save Your Rates For Someone Like Me: Allie X Rate #19 | Page 30 | The Popjustice Forum

Save Your Rates For Someone Like Me: Allie X Rate #19

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by SophiaSophia, Nov 16, 2020.

?

Favourite Allie X Release?

1. CollXtion I

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. CollXtion II: Ʉnsolved

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  3. CollXtion II

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. Super Sunset

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  5. Cape God

12 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Yas, finally an elimination I agree with. This song has nothing I come to Allie X for... but still I'm not even in the lowest scorers ddd

Queens/Kings x

[​IMG]

2. Two of my 10s back to back. I hate it in here.

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  3. Since my 11 has been called out repeatedly, it is probably next and after losing June Gloom, it will be a rough back-to-back.

4. Hm there are several other Cape God songs that should've gone before June Gloom. But okay.

5. I hope it’s not my 11!
    I actually love June Gloom but I’m not sad it left when it did.

6. [​IMG]

It’s time to find out what the first 11 leaving the rate is...

The album it comes from received a total of 7 elevens...

2 albums achieved this....

14 of you should be really worrying for their faves...

[​IMG]

I agree it is a rough back to back result...

[​IMG]

Life of the Party

Average: 8.280

Total Points: 314.650

Total Number of Voters: 38

My Score: 9

Highest Scores: 11 @Pinky25, 10 x8 @daninternational, @fatyoshi, @slaybellz, @Petty Mayonnaise, @Cutlery, @Sail On, @Andy French & @savilizabeths, 9.5 x2 @Phonetics Girl, @imaduck, 9.25 @Dijah.

Lowest Scores: 6.5 x2 @DJHazey, @finito, 6 @Holly Something, 5.4 @Untouchable Ace, 5 @soratami, 3 @Hurricane Drunk

The most sinister bop on Cape God and her whole discography finally exits at #28. It was one of the last songs to be written for the album. The song came to be from a very dark thought left in notes app that eventually became part of the songs opening line. The premise of the song is about feeling good about being socially included whilst on substances but the people you’re with are actually cruel. In an interview with Billboard she says ‘I was just thinking of this scenario that in a lot of ways I’ve experienced, though not exactly as I wrote it out, but being somewhere and getting f—-ed up and getting your confidence that way’.

The song isn’t meant to be completely autobiographical; she states in the same interview that she doesn’t want to be a voice for something that never happened to her. But she really wanted to ‘go there’ and write a song for any survivors. Obviously it’s up to survivors how they feel about a song of this nature. In her track xplanation she further elaborates ‘you think you’re being included but you’re actually being made fun of and you’re actually being taken advantage of’. She also mentions ‘how cruel people can be and like sometimes it’s better to be alone’.

In the context of the album it’s the darkest song on there I get why she included it in context of the albums narrative. Lyrically I can’t relate to it but from a listener's perspective it’s a bop of an uneasy kind due to its lyrically disturbing nature. It succeeds in reminding the listener how sadistic some people can be which I think is integral to the overarching narrative on the album. The whole premise of the song is oxymoronic in a horrifyingly sinister way and I don’t think there’s many songs of this nature that exist.

Pinky25 (11):

“When I first heard the song I knew that if there was ever a rate on here this would be my 11. The song has the elements I love the most from her; it has a dark new wave sound. As someone who is introverted and pretty quiet the lyrics in the second verse have particularly resonated with me.”

daninternational (10):

“The verses have a Morrissey vibe (I hate him but it works for her), and the repetitiveness of the post-chorus makes it one of the more singalongy ones on Cape God.”

imaduck (9.5):

“My favorite thing about this song is just how cutting the lyrics are, there's something new on every listen, which is something I missed on Cape God, it was all too easy to listen toLife of the Party - 9.5 - My favorite thing about this song is just how cutting the lyrics are, there's something new on every listen, which is something I missed on Cape God, it was all too easy to listen to.”

Dijah. (9.25):

“The production at the verses is giving Target commercial, but this is such a sad banger.”

Gemini (7):

“I love the verses to this song and then it gets to the post-chorus and it's just "I was the life was the life was the life was the life was the life..." and that just doesn't hook me in the way I wish it did.”

collxtion (7):

“The pop fan in me wishes the post-chorus were almost anything else, but the building unease is of course exactly the point. As a survivor of sexual assault, this one hits a little too close to home to be a frequent listen, but the strength of her songcraft, the juxtaposition of the narrative to the musical motifs, is genius.”

Untouchable Ace (5.4):

“Too monotonous. Quite the antithesis of life.”

Stay fearing for faves cause for the next few results consecutive 11’s will be exiting....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  7. Not the Cape God cull I've ordered! I want to speak to the manager!

8. Well that's kind of the point!

"Life" is a track that gets me feeling dreadful in the best way. It basically explains the energy in Super Duper Party People too, like the narrator has come down from their substance-infueled high and the long-lasting remnants of what people did to them start seeping in. The chorus is haunting with how the repetition sounds like trauma into music form and the chanting voices throughout also take a very sinister tone. I just am in awe when Allie goes to those dark places explicitly and makes some super interesting tracks there.

Pinky25, Verandi, collxtion and 2 others like this.
  9. I don't understand these Cape God cuts...

10. I'm fine with this. I stand by my above stated commentary of the "Was the life, was the life, was the life, was the life" part being really grating.

11. The average is good enough, but there are other Cape God songs that should have left first.

Verandi likes this.
  12. Both the Cape God "party" songs were done dirty in this rate. They're my favourites on the album.

13. Whew, from thinking it would be my 11 to losing my least favorite song left by some margin as everything left is an 8+.

14. [​IMG]

Today’s 11 leaving...

Is a return to fuckery in this rate...

Is from an album that received the second highest total of 11’s in the whole rate...

Outside of this forum this result has a public display of affection...

[​IMG]

Bitch

Average: 8.286

Total Points: 314.850

Total Number of Voters: 38

My Score: 7

Highest Scores: 11 @Cutlery, 10 x9 @Phonetics Girl, @daninternational, @fatyoshi, @DJHazey, @RUNAWAY, @Glitterizer, @Petty Mayonnaise, @SlowGinFizzzz & @Trinu 3.0, 9.5 x2 @BubblegumBoy, @M24, 9 x6 @Hurricane Drunk, @DinahLee, @soratami, @Pinky25, @collxtion & @Holly Something

Lowest Scores: 7 x3 @SophiaSophia, @m_dimitrov & @ohnostalgia, 5 @imaduck, 3 @savilizabeths, 1 @Gemini

The backstory to the making of this song was due to her frustrations surrounding the uncertainty of her career. Speaking to Interview magazine in 2014 she recalls the events leading to Bitch she says ‘I had just moved to Los Angeles and was having not a great day. I was in a position where I wanted to make music, but no one wanted to collaborate with me because no one knew who I was or cared’. In 2019 she tweeted ‘Bitch is my 100% song. I did the music, lyrics and production. I had no money, no friends, no gear except for a Dave Smith Mopho. The whole thing was written in an afternoon in a strange room on Mulholland Drive.’

The lyricism would have led you to believe it’s actually about marriage or a relationship. Speaking in 2014 she says ‘These words started coming out that were domestic and weird’. Allie elaborated further by stating ‘I never really analysed it: I just added it to my collection of songs’. But when analysing the song Allie ‘came to the conclusion that it was about the relationship I have with myself and the sort of concessions and compromises I make with the dark part of myself so that we can both get along and function.’ But she further says ‘There’s definitely some dry humour in there but that feeling of having a domestic relationship with myself is one that I actually feel everyday.’

Tweeting in 2019 she recalls how divisive the song was and how stereogum thought her songs ‘kept getting worse’ and how people said she was copying Lana Del Rey. But she tweets ‘I always thought of it as a my cult classic song.’ In the same thread she tweeted about the songs popularity on Tiktok. Due to that Bull video it’s her most popular song and to date on Spotify it has just over 35 Million streams. She finishes the thread by tweeting ‘it’s a strong message to me that trying to write “a hit” or working with a big producer doesn’t mean shit’.

Bitch is so close to being a self composed masterpiece for me but I’m not the biggest fan of the distortion on the chorus as it takes away my enjoyment from the song. Without it my score would have been a lot higher. Lyrically I’m here for Bitch subverting regressive archetypal sexist tropes regarding domesticated life from decades ago and relating it to facets of your own self. But I do find Simon Says just that way more intriguing as a whole.

Cutlery (11):

“If I look through my last.fm (ki) receipts, this is far and away my most played Allie song. I mean, I think it even managed to break my top 20 in Spotify just last year, if any proof to show that I will never grow tired of ‘Bitch’. Beyond the bull riding gifs, the recent-ish Tik Tok recognition, the lowkey iconic supermarket lo-fi video that exacerbates a twenty fourteen Tumblr aesthetic in every single second of its runtime, the song is her most experimental release while having its foot pressed on the «hooks for days» pedal without ever running out of gas. The overprocessed vocal filtering reaching a slightly disjointed, unnerving high with the choruses has always elevated it to new heights. The thumping production contrasts with quiet humming elements, what sounds like the chilling last breaths of the artist and even a sample of a street market buried deep within the mix, show that she’s a REAL ARTIST, not afraid to throw stuff from various sources into her synthpop blender and still come out with a delicious banger with our husband and wife characters, both played by Allie, in the end. Trying to decipher what she was whispering for the lyrics in the outro was always a great excuse to have a listen through the stem files and just enjoy how the little bits and pieces made my favorite song come to fruition; it was always my favorite of the released packs to explore. I love the unique stand it has in her discography, and knowing she’s proud of it coming from the uncertainty of ever making it into the business while doing music nearly on her own, and how she has turned that around since.”

[​IMG]

daninternational (10):

“The intro already gets you into the twilight zone, and then the vocals and lyrics help set it up - taking you away from pop and into something a bit more edgy. I love to sing along with this, I feel it nails who AllieX is better than a lot of her others song.” l think the fact it’s completely self produced makes it stand out more. Allie should consider self producing more.

DJHazey (10):

“From the first time I played this song I was its bitch, BOOM BOOM.” It’s very embarrassing to admit this but I thought she was going ‘OOOH OOOH’ for a number of years.

Glitterizer (10):

“I C O N I C. She was in her Crystal Castles bag when she made this one. Bitch hasn't aged even a little.” I’m stunned that in a few years this song will be a decade old.

collxtion (9):

“I used to be a hater, but Bitch is truly the little song that could. Viral on tumblr, on YouTube, on TikTok. The only things left after the apocalypse will be Cher, cockroaches, and Bitch by Allie X.” Poor Meredith Brooks.

Dijah. (8.25):

“Iconic! (boom boom)” Not many are 3 for 3 in terms of iconicness so early on. But Allie did that.

Untouchable Ace (7.1):

“Channelling Tumblr mixtape era Charli and Marina. I love this kind of experimental pop but it has a leve of amatuer from a debut era artist that overlooks the not so enjoyable vocals.” I think this is a step above sounding like it’s from a Tumblr mixtape.

imaduck (5):

“It's very difficult to give this a 5, but it does sort of grate on me. I think with a different vocal production I would enjoy it more.” The verses are great why she had to spoil the chorus with that distortion.

Gemini (1):

“This is my least favorite Allie X song ever. I get why people like it. But to me, It sounds like a demo, it has that level of "crunch" to it, even aside from the fact this is her first album and ALL the songs have crunch. And the lyrics are just not her best... I like it in a short 30 second TikTok but as a full song I find no pleasure in ever listening to this song, I'm sorry.” As much as I disagree with some of her production choices on Bitch it just has her artistic DNA all over it. Ultimately she channeled her frustration in the best way.

15. ??????????

DJHazey, Dijah. and daninternational like this.
  16. *Ahem* I am so sorry everyone.

But also
    Not that sorry

slaybellz likes this.
  17. This is so random I love it in here well done @SophiaSophia

Kinda crazy that Bitch is 7 (?) years old. It was the first song I've heard of hers, cuz a friend of mine knew I was obsessed with Crystal Castles (dd?) and somehow linked both. Didn't care at all.

Later I ended up listening to my actual 11 and it was like "wow she's very good". Then I went all in for Collxtion I.

18. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

I........

HOW?!

19. Bitch out before That’s So Us. I’m tired. I’m TIRED.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.