Save Your Rates For Someone Like Me: Allie X Rate #28 | Page 17 | The Popjustice Forum

Save Your Rates For Someone Like Me: Allie X Rate #28

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by SophiaSophia, Nov 16, 2020.

?

Favourite Allie X Release?

1. CollXtion I

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. CollXtion II: Ʉnsolved

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. CollXtion II

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Super Sunset

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  5. Cape God

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Wait but I liked Alexandra!

2. The way she performed this in 2015, teased it with some sort of Old Habits Die Hard competition (If I remember correctly, she played a snippet of the "final version" for the winners), did the Unsolved, mentioned it as some sort of "centerpiece" for Collxtion II and then.. ignored it. I scream.

And I didn't expect it to flop here too dd.

3. I think Alexandra grew on me so much because I get what she’s saying now. Me now is a bit different than I was 5 years ago. I’m sad it left so early.

4. Alexandra is FINE but nothing of worth was lost.

Remorque and Verandi like this.
  5. I can't say I go back to Alexandra very much either - when she first teased/released it I remember thinking that it felt unfinished, and I still believe that it needs a sprawling Flaming Lips-style dreamy indie-rock makeover to really hit right.

Conversely, Sunflower haters can step on a lego x

Remorque likes this.
  6. Only a bit different? I'm unrecognisable from 5 years ago.

Remorque and Pinky25 like this.
  7. [​IMG]

Is there another shock exit in this rate...

Nope...

We return to our regular scheduled programming in this rate...

[​IMG]
    Irish Colcannon (2.31)

Average: 6.750

Total Points: 33.750

Total Number of Voters: 5

Highest Scores: 8.25 @RUNAWAY, 8 @DinahLee

Lowest Scores: 4 @Cutlery

The Waiting For The Prize version of Irish Colcannon only outlasted the other version by a few songs and also coming ahead of a couple of Allie X songs too to reach #59. Though it is not better than Alexandra but this type of result was inevitable considering the format of this rate. Whilst I think this version is more tolerable I still have zero desire to have it be a mainstay in my Allie X listening. Though in a slight turn of events since I wrote the write up for #62 I am finding it getting stuck in my head but I wouldn’t say it’s very welcome though.

Cutlery (4):

“This is not my cup of tea musically oh at all. But there are nice elements to the instrumentation.” I must admit I do like the piano part but the rest of it makes me want to hit stop.

Remorque, soratami, sfmartin and 12 others like this.
  8. LOL WHAT IS THAT SINGLE COVER?! I’m howling.

Remorque, Dijah. and Phonetics Girl like this.
  9. It's Irish Colcannon! Mashed potatoes with cabbage! YUMMERS!

10. When does the Allie X rate begin? Have we got rid of the trash yet

obviously not because @DJHazey is still here

11. Well another shock exit is happening at #58 which I will post tomorrow night.

12. Wait, what did I do (this time)?

13. Ms. Alexandra X didn't release a single called 'DJ Hazy' so I'm not sure.

imaduck and DJHazey like this.
  14. [​IMG]

A 3rd Allie X song is about to leave...

It’s still not the one you’re expecting...

I think this result might cause a slight upset for some...

[​IMG]

Misbelieving

Average: 6.820

Total Points: 259.150

Total Number of Voters: 38

My Score: 5

Highest Scores: 10 x3 @RUNAWAY, @Andy French, @savilizabeths, 9.75 @Glitterizer, 9.5 @Holly Something, 9 x2 @DJHazey, @finito

Lowest Scores: 4 @Verandi, 2 x3 @Gemini, @Ana Raquel, @imaduck, 1 @Hurricane Drunk

The 3rd Allie X song to leave the rate is Misbelieving, do I think it’s the 58th best Allie X song? Not really but in some ways this song frustrates me cause I absolutely love the vocal melody. But I just wish the production was more fleshed out cause there is the makings of an amazing song here. However I’m glad the final version was scrapped from CollXtion II because it’s messy and doesn’t work.

RUNAWAY (10):

“such an amazing song, and the lyrics in the second verse still hit me so hard every listen. This song was robbed of a place on the album, but I’m at least glad that we have it <3” You have a point regarding the demo but the final version I don’t think it was robbed.

Glitterizer (9.75):

“One of her most underrated songs, the lyrics are so beautiful, and so is the chorus melody. Her vocal delivery is also extremely on point.” Compared to some of her earlier lyricism, Misbelieving is beautifully written and that vocal delivery is gorgeous.

collxtion (7.5):

“This is, dare I say, Hughesian? It’s hard to rationalize this as a canon Allie X song when it feels lifted directly from her singer-songwriter days, but nevertheless… sorrowful, nostalgic, her lyrical prowess on full display.” I think you're reaching calling this Hughesian.

Cutlery (7.25):

“Actually works better for me as an acoustic guitar offering, given that the produced demo doesn’t sound all that great, as it borrows too much from the worst trends of its time. Anyway, as it is, it packs a bit of a dramatic punch, albeit understated amidst all the comparisons drawn from synthetic ideas to real feelings, from pleasant to disgusting, etc. And the lightweight delivery is great. Not my fave but a good track still.” The production in the final version is really baffling. There was some good groundwork in this guitar version.

daninternational (6.5):

“Needs a bit more urgency in the arrangement and lyrics.” The lyricism isn’t the issue here.

Gemini (2):

“I just don't care for this one, it doesn't really do anything to excite me or grab me. I hear it and then immediately forget it.” To be frank this is how I feel regarding her pre X music. I don’t think Misbelieving really falls into this category.

imaduck (2):

“Meh”

[​IMG]

15. Miss B. Lieving is gorgeous. Shame on you people

16. I'm okay with all of these Unsolved songs leaving to be honest,

Remorque and boombazookajoe like this.
  17. Totally gooped! I gave this a fairly average score, but I have a hard time imagining anyone finding something actively bad about it, so I guess it was just a case of voters not being particularly impressed?

Definitely agree with you, especially after these earlier elimination have dredged up some of the artistic choices she made back in the day. But I stand by the idea that Misbelieving has at least more *lyrical* resemblance to something like Wreck It All, for example; a sort of Great-Plains-gothic thematic sweep than the medical imagery and Los Angeles metaphors she adopted later.

Ironically I feel like this would have fit much better on Cape God than any of her other records?

18. Wait, this is tea. With different production it could have been a good closing chapter to Super Sunset as well.

19. The produced "final version" is basic. In a way I'm glad it didn't get greenlit for Collxtion II

Remorque and Untouchable Ace like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.