Save Your Rates For Someone Like Me: Allie X Rate #31 | Page 27 | The Popjustice Forum

Save Your Rates For Someone Like Me: Allie X Rate #31

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by SophiaSophia, Nov 16, 2020.

?

Favourite Allie X Release?

1. CollXtion I

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. CollXtion II: Ʉnsolved

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. CollXtion II

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Super Sunset

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  5. Cape God

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  1. Not So Bad in LA is for pretty girls only, sorry to some of y'all!

Girl Of The Year and Little Things are easily the best songs from the EP tho.

slaybellz, M24, collxtion and 2 others like this.
  2. The essential Super Sunset tracks are obviously Science and Girl Of The Year, the rest is okay at best.

3. Science and Girl of the Year are the best yes, but Not So Bad in LA is up there too.

slaybellz and Phonetics Girl like this.
  4. Little Things and Science are my two faves from Super Sunset.
    They better stick around for a long time.

5. I think I like Super Sunset more than most people.

6. My scores for it are 8.5 // 9.25 // 9.25 // 10 // 10 // 10 so you have company.

7. I believe Super Sunset has my highest or second-highest album average too, I absolutely stan.

8. Science and Girl Of The Year are THE songs from that lil' EP -- so this was the correct first elimination for it.

9. [​IMG]

Has today’s result been perfected to a science...

[​IMG]
    Rolling Days

Average: 7.900

Total Points: 39.500

Total Number of Voters: 5

Highest Scores: 10 @DinahLee, 8.75 @RUNAWAY

Lowest Scores: 6.5 @BubblegumBoy, 6 @Ana Raquel

The penultimate song from Allie Hughes finally leaves at #34. There isn’t a lot to say apart from it’s a typical Indie Pop affair. One of the rare palatable songs from this Pre X period but I can’t say it excites me even the slightest.

Cutlery (8.25):

“Probably my favorite thing to come from her output as Allie Hughes. It sounds nothing like her bright-dark X pop yet it's a rare occurrence of her maturing her typical stage play sound at the time. She glides through the track like a very convincing indie pop artisté, and the radioish vocal filter is a great fit. The very end is messy but I can condone it.”

10. Not the trickery at the start of every elimination. Super Sunset should not even be losing any songs right now it's making me nervous.

But yeah Can't Stop Now is by far the least interesting song on Super Sunset so at least we got that right.

11. There's STILL pre-CollXtion I songs left??

I really should've rated those to make sure they leave before anything else.

12. [​IMG]

Will this next result be all the rage?

It rings a bell for definite...

[​IMG]
    Vintage

Average: 7.966

Total Points: 302.700

Total Number of Voters: 38

My Score: 8.5

Highest Scores: 10 x4 @RUNAWAY, @slaybellz, @Cutlery & @savilizabeths, 9.75 @DJHazey, 9.5 x4 @daninternational, @Glitterizer, @boombazookajoe & @Conan

Lowest Scores: 6 x2 @Gemini, @aux, 5 @finito, 4 x2 @Phonetics Girl, @Hurricane Drunk

There isn’t a whole to say about Vintage it’s a low-key bop in a Spotify Pop meets heard playing in H&M kinda way. The Rick Astley sample is kinda genius in a not so obvious way at least to me anyway because when I first heard I didn’t even recognise it until a lot later. It’s a cute moment in her discography but it’s not a song that’s absolutely integral to her career so this leaving now isn’t a big deal.

Cutlery (10):

“Rick Astley found bothered. It's perfect how this sound embodies the name of the track with this much accuracy. 'Vintage' knows exactly what it wants to do and then sets out to do it flawlessly. It's a perfect pop song, really, and the energy it transpires never wears off, like the delicious smell of someone else's cologne on your clothes.” Never Gonna Give You Up remains a classic and I applaud Allie for recognising this.

DJHazey (9.75):

“Oh yes this tune (like most of her discography) will age like vintage fine wine, yes it will.” This still slaps in 2021 and will continue to for the foreseeable.

daninternational (9.5):

“I haven't played this as much as I should. It's so cute and positive and nice.” This has always been a no skip for me.

collxtion (9):

“C’mon upcycling! I love Sorry, and I love even more than she was able to repurpose the melody into Vintage. Fantastic little bop, I realize I always think of this as the flip-side to Super Sunset’s Science. Hazy Los Angeles night rides in the hills with your mans soundtrack.” More upcycling demos in music please, no shade to Sorry but that vocal melody suits Vintage so much more.

imaduck (7):

“I low key sort of gloss over Allie's boppy funk pop moments, it's fine, but I'm here for the balls to the walls sadpop.” I can’t say I’m with you in regards to the latter.

Gemini (6):

“I love how absolute POP this song is. In that though, it becomes a tad bit repetitive and I honestly love the verses a lot more than the chorus.” Personally I love it when a chorus has a memorable hook. I love it even more when love songs are written in a more all-encompassing way.

13. This is a really fun bop and I've always loved it (I gave it an 8), but I still think Sorry was the stronger version of this song.

DinahLee and Phonetics Girl like this.
  14. What the hell are y'all being so harsh for on a freaking discography rate? An 8 average for this?? Absolutely not.

15. Listen I know she has a very strong catalogue but Vintage at #33 is laughable!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  16. I would've bumped my scores a bit higher if I knew it was gonna be like this.

Holly Something and slaybellz like this.
  17. Old Habits Die Hard (Album Version) and Paper Love need to jettison out of here NOW if we're doing this kicking out my 10s in the album!

18. [​IMG]

This next result finally reached its prime...

[​IMG]

Damaged Nail

Average: 8.000

Total Points: 40.000

Total Number of Voters: 5

Highest Scores: 10 x2 @RUNAWAY, @DinahLee, 9 @Ana Raquel

Lowest Scores: 5 @BubblegumBoy

Out of the previous incarnations of “Something Isn’t Right” this one feels like the definitive version. I didn’t preface this in the write ups for Something Isn’t Right but lyrically it’s supposedly about Allie dreaming about dying and going to the afterlife and seeing her loved ones. It's still messy in a very I secretly enjoy this kinda way but the changes are very welcome. Most certainly you can’t deny this holds the title of being the most quirky pre X song. With this finally exiting the Power of 5 in this rate comes to an end along with Allie Hughes the self titled EP.

RUNAWAY (10):

“this was the beginning of feeling X. so CHAOTIC and insane, and I love it so much~”

Cutlery (6):

“A disastrous, guilty pleasure mess.”

19. lmao

DAMAGED NAIL

_______

VINTAGE

I fucking love it in here. If only Rolling Days stayed for 2 more songs....

But, for real, the order is so random I love it. There's BUZZ, there's DRAMA and EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED!

Vintage is a cute song but absolutely flavourless. I think I'm still bitter it won some random twitter pool to be performed "acoustically" and then it was just herself periscoping.

Itswhatshedeserves.png

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.