Scream 7 *SPOILERS*

I saw it tonight in Brooklyn and it was absolutely incredible. The Gale scene was a franchise high and the most tense I’ve been in a theater since Kyle’s scene in Halloween Kills.

Part of me thinks it’s cheap to have what feel like legitimate kill scenes and have them survive but I am so glad Mindy, Chad, Gale, and Kirby survived their attacks.

I also successively guessed 2 of the 3 killers (Quinn and her dad). It felt way too bizarre to have a fully introduced character be killed offscreen. I thought my guess was really far fetched but as soon as Zaddy called Sam to accuse Kirby, I knew 100% he was the killer and felt more secure in my guess that Quinn’s death was fake. I truly thought the brother was a red herring and not involved.

I wish we got more of Anika, but her death was memorable and really intense.

It was such a great entry and I cannot believe I’m saying it, but I truly think it was the best Scream since 2. I feel partially guilty saying it because Sidney was missing but Gale’s sequence, the subway scene with Mindy, Kirby’s return, and just a generally top notch cast… I was enthralled.

Last but not least… this film cemented Sam as a great character in the franchise. I was not on the hate train like many others were from the last film, but she really was giving mother in this one.

Last edited:
I can't stop thinking about this fun as hell piece of cinema. This is why we go to the movies!

Gag worthy moments:

-Samara looking the most amazing she's ever looked and she always looks amazing. Hot people can be awkward on a first date too!
-The killer taking his mask off in the opening. I was shook.
- Mason with no shirt
- Danny with no shirt
- Quinn being a sexually liberated psycho and not slut shamed like Maureen (also clocked her as soon as she mentioned the brother)
- The Ladder scene is a cultural reset. The way the actress playing Mindy's girlfriend made me care about her in like 6 minutes of screentime....queen
- Gale finally dodging a punch then getting punched by Tara

- The way the Core Four has become a thing and it's so deserved. I thought Mindy slightly and especially Chad were underutilized in Five Cream but they are legit great, likable characters now. Has a franchise ever been able to pass the torch this well onto new characters?
- The sister stuff is so well done and Melissa/Jenna's chemistry fantastic.
- The Billy stuff being handled even better here. Sam in her dad's costume.....iconic.
- Red Right Hand being played TWICE!
- Mindy's speech while not as organic for me as 5's was so fucking funny.
- Dewey's theme in the Sam and Gale scene. Maybe a little heavy handed but I squealed like the fag that I am.
- Kirby's introduced with her feet on the desk (unbothered queen). She had more to do then I was expecting and I thought Hayden did a solid job for not acting in years. Loved that Gale has a new sparring partner ala Jennifer and I hope we get more of their interactions if both come back. (Still hate the helmet hair but.....Camp?!)
- My Daddy Dermott serving us Copycat vibes (iconic ass movie) and serving the camp at the end. People are hating his performance but I loved that he was having fun with it. Quinn was also solid as a killer for what little she had.
- Gale's entire scene was incredible. So damn intense and rivals 2's chase scene. Her final line was chef's kiss and I really wasn't sure if she would survive despite someone spoiling it in the non-spoiler thread.....
- People are bitching about the third act but I thought it was an absolute blast. Is it the best motive ever? No but it got the job done. All the fighting, stabbing, chase stuff was fantastic. The Carpenter sisters are now cemented as legendary final girls in my opinion.
- Chad's "death" was amazing. The double knife swipe....I came!
- Melissa actually having a Red Bull between each scene! The energy! The charisma! I can tell she took the somwwhat negative reaction to heart and she slayed. When she went down to the Tank Top.....girl wasn't playing! When she ran out of bullets so just started charging Richie's Dad. But wow what a moment! One of the most interesting final girls ever.
- The post credit scene was really cute

- My only real negatives is I'm not sure if the 2nd half of the opening is going to be super rewatchable as we are following someone we don't care about. I wouldn't have minded if Samara's scene was extended a little bit like maybe she climbs up the top of the building and then gets killed. She was just sooooo good in such little time I needed more.
- Gale's first scene felt a bit clunky even if I loved the punch part.
- Also I needed to know more about her hot boyfriend. He was just awkwardly there. I'm glad she's getting the good D but it could have used a few more minutes.
- Ethan is one of the worst characters in the franchise. He sucked before and after the reveal. Charlie hunnie you are no longer the worst Ghostface because at least Rory can ACT! The death was amazing though.
- Not sure how I feel about every single person surviving especially Chad. I was happy he was but we do need some stakes. In Scream 2 they knew they had to kill Randy even if it hurt. Conflicted on that to be honest.

I'm going to see it a few more time's but right now it's my third favorite after 1, 2. This really did feel like Scream 2's messier, sluttier, more fun sister but I still prefer 2.

Last edited:
When Tara was dangling from the balcony, I loved that her little nod towards Sam's knife was like an infinitely less naff redo of Billy "helping" Sam during 5's final act. Jenna's facial expressions during that scene are just seared into my brain.

Gale putting Ghostface on hold an phoning them back to reveal where they were? Amazing.

I went to a deathly quiet showing yesterday and this bit easily got the biggest reaction.

Last edited:
It was amazing! However Chad should have definitely died. We need to lose one of the core four in 7 sadly for sure. (Please not Tara, Sam or Gale).

Even if Sidney died in 7 it could be epic and a real closure to the franchise. It’s clear now the main character/pull is ghostface.

It wasn’t my favourite opening sadly but did like the killer revealed. Might have worked better if he integrated with the group first act then died. Or they could have used Ethan for the opening reveal?

Kirby was amazing but I was thrown by her voice in the first few scenes and could sense Hayden was a little rusty / nervous. Felt a little muffled/stiff in my opinion. She was incredible in the final act however.

I even had a Scream related nightmare last night and couldn’t sleep after 3am.

Me after watching this:

tumblr_inline_pamy4yKiZK1qh793v_400.gif

Also, I saw this again today and have some further thoughts (I made notes on my hand while the film was playing ddd)

Usually the opening kill is connected to the main story, and I don't think either the pretend Ghostface or the actual Ghostface kills were really connected.

Both "Now I see something red" and "Who gives a fuck about movies" I felt like the voice was really unconnected to the person in the costume. They just didn't seem like they went together.

Which of the killers were in the bodega? Both kids were in the apartment and Bailey was at the police station.

Why didn't they mention what they'd done to the mask? It looked cool but there was zero explanation for why it looked so (Gale) weathered.

It felt weird for Quinn to get on the exact train that Mindy was on, how did she know which carriage to get on, and at what time?

Why did Sam and Tara take so long to get to Gale's apartment? It's daytime when they realise the killer is there and then dark when Gale gets the phonecall.

Why is Red Right Hand featured so heavily in the film? It's from the soundtrack/score of Scream, not Stab. I know it's a cute nod to the original but Richie using it in his home movie just doesn't make sense.

I don't like that they showed Bailey asking for a background check on Kirby. That kind of misdirect just feels too heavy handed, and no one involved were there to see/hear it so it's deliberately there to sway the audience rather than just a red herring that we might pick up on.

Lastly, I know there is a suspension of disbelief that you have to have with these films, but do they not know how open wounds work? As an example Tara is stabbed in the back but despite making no effort to stop the flow of blood she's just running around, falling from balconies, stabbing people in the throat. She'd have lost a lot of blood by then. Also, I might be able to accept Quinn killing Gale's boyfriend after catching him unaware, but her picking him up and launching his dead body through a glass door just seems a little ridiculous.

In saying all that I did enjoy it more the second time.

We just saw this and I am so happy with how good it was! I’m always cautiously optimistic when a horror franchise switches to a city but everything was so right and just worked. Sam was great this time around. I was glad Kirby was back. Her hair thought was distracting me. Her look was giving me Chucky mixed with Erika Jayne. The only dud for me was Sam’s new guy. I am surprised with the amount of survivors. So great though.

I could see Tara die cause Jenna is getting booked and busy.
I feel like they’ll take their chances and wouldn’t kill her. The romance between Chad and Tara, I feel makes them safe going forward. I’d say Mindy is in the most danger out of the core four.

Also, on the subjects of deaths, I’ve read that Courteney wanted them to kill Gale in Scream 4. Looking back, I’m so glad that didn’t happen. I don’t think they would’ve done her justice in that particular film.

Usually the opening kill is connected to the main story, and I don't think either the pretend Ghostface or the actual Ghostface kills were really connected.

Both "Now I see something red" and "Who gives a fuck about movies" I felt like the voice was really unconnected to the person in the costume. They just didn't seem like they went together.
Bailey (I'm assuming, since Quinn was at the apartment and Ethan at the party) killed Jason and Greg because they were planning on killing Sam and Tara and the family wanted to do that themselves, and killing them gave them a chance to keep Sam in town by planting her ID at the crime scene.
Not entirely sure what you mean about the lines, but the first one is said by Jason as a callback to him pretending not to see the restaurant Samara's character is at and the second one is said, I'm assuming, because Bailey doesn't care about the Stab series and isn't motivated by the movies.
Why didn't they mention what they'd done to the mask? It looked cool but there was zero explanation for why it looked so (Gale) weathered.
I think it just looks that way because of age? I didn't think they had done anything specific to it.
Glad you enjoyed the movie more! And just wanna make it clear I'm not trying to argue or anything, just trying to offer up my interpretation of these situations.

Bailey (I'm assuming, since Quinn was at the apartment and Ethan at the party) killed Jason and Greg because they were planning on killing Sam and Tara and the family wanted to do that themselves, and killing them gave them a chance to keep Sam in town by planting her ID at the crime scene.
Not entirely sure what you mean about the lines, but the first one is said by Jason as a callback to him pretending not to see the restaurant Samara's character is at and the second one is said, I'm assuming, because Bailey doesn't care about the Stab series and isn't motivated by the movies.

I think it just looks that way because of age? I didn't think they had done anything specific to it.
Glad you enjoyed the movie more! And just wanna make it clear I'm not trying to argue or anything, just trying to offer up my interpretation of these situations.
On the second point, I understand what the lines were referencing, it just didn't seem like they were coming from the character, there seemed like an audio disconnect? I don't know how to fully explain what I mean.

And don't worry, I didn't think you were arguing. It just seems weird that Billy's mask would be so distressed but Roman's was still looking fresh when there were only 2 years between them.

On the second point, I understand what the lines were referencing, it just didn't seem like they were coming from the character, there seemed like an audio disconnect? I don't know how to fully explain what I mean.

And don't worry, I didn't think you were arguing. It just seems weird that Billy's mask would be so distressed but Roman's was still looking fresh when there were only 2 years between them.
Ohhhh like a sound design issue?

And fair! It is weird and I'm assuming there wasn't as much focus as there maybe should have been for the costumes outside of Billy and Stu's.

Twitter saying this is Courteney’s last movie?
I do think the movie have her a satisfying enough arc that I would be okay with her not being in the next film. With this type of franchise, I don’t think it’s ever over until a character is dead, but I wouldn’t mind resting Gale for the same reason I’m okay with them resting Sidney.

I feel like this film perfectly set up a future return where Gale can be central to the Ghostface mystery. If they want or do that, bring her back for 8 or 9, but she really isn’t needed (as expensive as I imagine Courteney is) to just do a couple scenes.