Scream 7 *SPOILERS*

I just came from the screening and boy oh boy this one was strange. I enjoyed it but it is the least favorite one in the Scream franchise. And I know I am the only one. Don't judge me, please.

Pros :
- Sam finally being “likable” as a main protagonist which wasn't the case in 5.
- Tara has one of the most iconic lines and kills at the shrine.
- Bodega scene was okay-ish but the subway scene was AMAZING. I was on the edge of my seat, my heart was pounding. They did the best suspenseful scene I have seen in a while.
- Mindy and Chad were so great and cute. They elevated the movie in my opinion.
- Kirby was so well done even better than Gale in this movie. (or Sidney in 5)
- While I'm at Gale she has the best chase scene in the Scream franchise. Her hanging up on Ghostface was hilarious.

Cons (and there were a lot)

- Opening was the most underwhelming, most stupid, and bizarre at the same time. Those poor actors were used for nothing. I mean I get the idea of a student killing the teacher and then being killed. But everything was flat … like really. The suspense was not to be found anywhere. You know it's bad when some characters that were there just to be killed had a better backstory and kill than the opening. And that line “fuck movie trivia or movies” or something like that was ok because I guess they wanted to distance this sequel from the usual Scream pattern. Until they forgot about that mid-through the movie.
- I must say this. I know we are watching a slasher Scream movie but people surviving the most gruesome and most fatal stab wounds took me out of the movie. Near the end, it became a parody of itself. And I think they didn't want to be a parody. In the shrine's final scene, I was smiling at how nonsense it was.
Chad has multiple stab wounds and not just stab wounds but staaaaab wounds - survived, Gale has two stabs and also being IMPALED with a huge part of the glass - survived, poor Mindy, having been stabbed twice with the last one being so bad - survived, Tara having been stabbed twice once in the back and once in the gut and she was still kicking ass - survived. Also, they forgot she was stabbed in the gut at the end. It was hilarious. Anika being almost gut ripped apart was able to survive for so long. I mean come on.
I have a feeling that some of them were suposed to be dead but someone decided that they should all survive even thou the stabbing was so fatal. I smell studio interference.
- The motive was so bad and laughable. I was smiling through that awful monologue and bad acting that came from Dermot. It was so cringe. When they revealed that all of them are family and they are here to revenge Ritchie, I was ok the mother is the killer in the next one.
- Quinn surviving that brick hit in the head and not having a concussion had me laughing just to be shot in the head later on. Waste.
Ethan being stabbed trough the mouth and scare jump at the end was just like this is a parody. And I know Amber was in flames and survived to be the last scare but this one was bad.
- The new characters didn't have anything to bring into the story. You didn't have any attachment toward them. They were just me

The opening worked for me because in the end it wasn't expected. You got the obvious intro with Samara Weaving's character having the phone call and being stabbed in the alley, but then the "killer" took the mask and cloak off revealing them (and eventually their boyfriend) to be two pathetic Ritchie fanboys with a murder fetish (instantly made me think of the same oddballs that lust after Jeffrey Dahmer because of the Netflix series) the real killer arrives and it's brought home to us that this one is not playing around, even throwing the fanboy's words back at him about their first kill being "meat" or thinking about "the rules" as he says himself "who gives a fuck about movies?!" BOOM

The subtle throwbacks to iconic lines from each of the previous finales in the finale made me so happy.

There was one from one, three and four I think I noticed. Assuming I just missed the one from two. “fuck you, FUCK YOU!” from Scream 3. “I always wanted to slide something inside you TARA!” which was delivered in the exact same cadence as “I’ve always had a thing for you SID” from Scream 1. The other two are slipping my memory but they were there as I remember thinking oh my god that’s a reference. Really made me smile.

Anyone who dislikes the film is simply wrong. Sorry but it’s fucking fantastic.

Last edited:
That's the thing with the opening, it's a very clever take on those from the previous films and I cannot help but appreciate the attempt to do something new. That said, I just didn't find it tense or scary in the slightest. The Samara half starts to build that, but it ends too soon to properly gag me... and the Tony half moves along without much momentum at all. I would have really loved Ghostface actually chasing either player around, scaring them into new streets/corners/hallways. But the quick 'see Ghostface & you're dead' move is... underwhelming.

She/Her
The subtle throwbacks to iconic lines from each of the previous finales in the finale made me so happy.

There was one from one, three and four I think I noticed. Assuming I just missed the one from two. “fuck you, FUCK YOU!” from Scream 3. “I always wanted to slide something inside you TARA!” which was delivered in the exact same cadence as “I’ve always had a thing for you SID” from Scream 1. The other two are slipping my memory but they were there as I remember thinking oh my god that’s a reference. Really made me smile.

Anyone who dislikes the film is simply wrong. Sorry but it’s fucking fantastic.

there was a moment I swear one of the ghostfaces during the reveal went “ding ding ding ding ding” and I left thinking it was a Scream reference and it wasn’t, it was Urban Legend dd

He/Him
I'm just back from the cinema and I have really mixed feelings and need to digest it.

Some random thoughts:

- The opening sequence was far too long. At first I was like oooh this is interesting
if we know who the killer is from the start
and then as it dragged I lost interest quickly.

- I squealed when I saw the burnt fax machine in the shrine.

- Dermot Mulroney's acting was awful and I usually enjoy him in movies. Like even when he played Gavin Mitchell in Friends he was more convincing and bad ass than in this.

- I warmed to Sam which I didn't expect.

- Gale and Kirby were both incredible. I wish they'd utilise the legacy cast even more because they stole any scene they were in.

- Gale's chase around the apartment scene was rivalling the sound studio from Scream 2. It was that good!

- I love Chad so much!

- Mindy slightly overdid her monologue but I loved the metaness of it all.

- Core Four was so cringe I wanted Ghostface to burst in the door and break that up.

- I missed Sidney a lot.

- The kills in this were the most gruesome ever. I had to look away at times.

This is my first time in the spoiler thread and I don't know how spoilery we're getting so further thoughts:

- The subway scene built the tension so good but I wanted a Ghostface on each carriage so that there could've been a chase scene through the carriage doors etc. for one and the jump scare for the other.

- Gale being so proud of herself for dodging Sam's fist only for Tara to clock her was amazing. The fact that she wrote another book was unexpected after 5 so I loved that reveal and Sam's quote from the book sent me.

- I expected 3 killers by the end and I was so happy but then hated the reveal.

- I was not happy that all of Core Four survived - there were no stakes and it made a mockery of the franchise.
- It felt very much like a remake of Scream 2 ending up with a remake of 3 for the shrine scene.

- Why did Ethan help Mindy off the train and call for help? There was no need for him to do any of that, he could've just disappeared and gone to the shrine. Did Ethan or Quinn stab Mindy?

- Working backwards through the Ghostface masks was great. But I had never thought about how there were 9 killers so far which blew my mind a bit when laid out like that.

- I wanted a daylight street chase or kill. Walking around the park only to find out the killer was with Gale was pointless even if it was a way for the detective to distract them.

- The ladder scene was predictable. I'm fine with Sam getting across but the stakes should've been raised and let the ladder fall or have Ghostface pull the ladder so hard that one of them falls out the window from the other side. Just something else would've worked better.

Also 93 pages for me to catch up on guys. I have some serious reading ahead.

Just saw 6. I liked it but didn't love it. Overall I'd say it's swings and roundabouts as to whether this or 5 is better.

I had heard rumblings that the opening in this was the best since 1 which is pure slander on Scream 2's good name. The iconic cinema opening remains thoroughly unbothered. The first half with the teacher in the bar was decent but it ended too quickly and while the reveal of the killer felt genuinely unprecedented and exciting, they didn't do anything interesting with it. The second half of the opening was so flat.

The good news is that 6 probably has a higher average standard of set-pieces than 5. I haven't seen 5 since it was first released but I mostly remember the kitchen/garden kills, the hospital set-piece and of course the whole of act 3. I think 6 has a more consistent quality of set-piece but apart from the subway scene, which was excellent, I'm not sure they quite hit the highs of the 'welcome to act 3' reveal.

On that note, they both lean incredibly hard on nostalgia but 5 definitely takes the cake on those terms. But then it has it a lot easier, having Sidney and Dewey participate, taking place in Woodsboro again and of course the whole of act 3. 6 feels much more like a genuine passing of the torch than 5 did but it means that as much as it wants to, it never tickles the nostalgia gland anywhere near as hard. I thought the whole shrine idea was cool on paper but didn't really work in practice.

The new characters were kind of lame and the main killer is probably the worst killer in the whole franchise. Terrible, terrible acting. The son was a non-entity too, only the daughter had anything about her.

The core 4 were all great though, especially Sam who was an unexpected delight after how underwhelming she was in 5. You can see why they wanted them all alive at the end of 6 even though it really stretched credulity to believe some of them survived.

Overall, it was enjoyable but I'm not seeing this gulf in quality between 5 and 6 that some here are.

Last edited:
The opening worked for me because in the end it wasn't expected. You got the obvious intro with Samara Weaving's character having the phone call and being stabbed in the alley, but then the "killer" took the mask and cloak off revealing them (and eventually their boyfriend) to be two pathetic Ritchie fanboys with a murder fetish (instantly made me think of the same oddballs that lust after Jeffrey Dahmer because of the Netflix series) the real killer arrives and it's brought home to us that this one is not playing around, even throwing the fanboy's words back at him about their first kill being "meat" or thinking about "the rules" as he says himself "who gives a fuck about movies?!" BOOM
I get the idea but for me, it went flat and execution was poor. It started well but it didn't do that emotional impact that other openings had.

Also I forgot to say the movie didn't have any emotional impact. Every time it tries to have that and succeed it gives you a slap
with... oh they survived.
There were not any stakes so the movie can get you on that emotion.

Last edited:
I still don’t understand how that girl was able to fake her death and get away with it? Considering forensics were on the scene immediately.

I also wished they would fleshed out the backstory of the family and motive more. Like, who they were before and during the last film. We were just kinda expected to buy that they all just decided to snap together in union and go kill a bunch of people.

Also, the brutality and assassin like kills didn’t really match up with the killers for me (Maybe Bailey I guess) And again, maybe giving us context would of helped with that.

Like maybe if Bailey was already a serial killer outside of GhostFace in his own right, a la Dexter style, and raised his family in some sort super militant muderous cult. Maybe Ritchie strayed away from that style of killing and got seduced by the stab movies, which the family looked down on, as thought Ghost Face was giving the serial killers a bad name due to the novelty of it all and so they shunned him.

But now they feel guilty for shutting him out and wanted to finish what he started so they put on the mask as way to honour him. And they could of played off how his kids blindly followed him in his footsteps of violence whereas Sam chose her own path even though bloodlust in her veins.

Idk I know that sounds cheesy but I just wanted way more from the motive. What they gave us felt very lazy and sloppy imo. Like I feel like it worked for Ms. Loomis but it wast landing for me this time.

But I guess you have to suspend your belief with these films. I still enjoyed this and way more than 5 (which I didn’t like at all) and I loved Tara’s and Sam relationship in this. It was giving Buffy with Dawn.

I enjoyed the twins (a lot more than 5) but I was very much ready to say goodbye to them in this.

Last edited:
You really do have to have some degree of suspense of disbelief with this genre.

I’ve honestly been anticipating an ambitious twist such as a body double / false death / unreliable narrator in this series for years because I know this is the one franchise that could accomplish it with the right writing.

It wasn’t perfect here, but it worked well enough.
That being said, this film is fucking great and did not relent on the tension for a second.

Thinking this is the weakest scream confuses me?
Saying something is the weakest and saying something is your least favourite isn’t really the same though. I highlighted my problems with it and they’re not problems I’ve had with any of the previous instalments. That isn’t to say I didn’t enjoy this, just not as much as the others. I did also say that I might enjoy it more after it’s sunk in and I’ve had time to watch it again without the stress of wondering who dies.

Also you potentially weren’t talking about me/my opinion so I’m going to sit down now.

Demot’s acting in this made Melissa’s Scream 5 performance seem Oscar worthy. He almost ruined the 3rd act for me… almost.

Otherwise, it was a fantastic entry. Scary, tense, and very fun. The double Ghostface knife-wipe was fuckin great. A series high!

I liked it but did Dermot forget how to act? It was cringey in more than one scene.

Melissa redeemed herself. Her quiet roast of Richie to his father's face was chef's kiss.
Mason's a babe. Jenna was fun to root for.
Courteney's scene rivals her "2" chase, and her sarcastic dialogue sent me over the edge.

Hayden was so much fun to see back and I wish she had more to play with.

The shrine idea was fabulous. So many easter eggs.

I know Sidney being in this would've been a stretch conceptually, but damnit I just missed Neve's face and performance on screen. I do hope she gets her flowers in 7 and comes out on top a la Jamie Lee in "Ends" - but, you know, with an actually decent film behind her.

My theater in NYC had the souvenir cups with the GF toppers, was happy to snatch one.

Funny note; my friend I went with asked me 'What was that accent Samara was doing? It was terrible." -- he'd only ever seen her in "Ready or Not"... had to explain that was actually how she sounds. :|

I liked it! It was ridiculous and wonderful and the writing for Gale in this one outshone what was done in 5. It was incredible to see Kirby back but I hope they give her more in the next one. I get she was there to be a red herring but she didn't have enough to chew on.

What I can't shake is it was mentioned in the film about subverting tropes and then for the motive of the killers it was...that. Yes, this film took the setting of Scream 2 essentially and cranked it up but then more or less delivered a much worse version of Mrs. Loomis. The third act is where they needed to shake things up the most and in two films now I think they've missed the mark but in 5 it was less noticeable as we had Neve and Courteney carrying it on their backs.