Selena Gomez & The Scene - When The Sun Goes Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, no, Selena is best suited for the dance floor. Who Says is just alright, kinda cheesy and not brilliant. I want more Hit the Lights. I wanna hear her voice being thrown through a processor like on Middle of Nowhere. I wanna hear her do an absurd British accent while talking about bears in pits and possibly even life's purpose. Of course, that's all just my take.

RainOnFire

Staff member
I'm not sure if Who Says is the weakest, in my eyes it is but at the same time, it does not fit in with the album at all. Based on the tracks that actually sound like they belong on the album, the weakest for me is That's More Like It. I like the spunkiness of it but those lyrics...they just make me want to set myself on fire. So, so terrible.

At first Whiplash was in my top 3 for the album but I think I was sorta forcing myself to like it because of the Britney relation....the British accent in the speaky bits, the verses, they're all perfect except for the non-event of the chorus which just ruins the song for me.

I haven't listened to the album all the way through yet, in fact I'm only on track two, 'Bang Bang Bang' because I have it playing on repeat. I love it! I'll post back when I've listened to 'When The Sun Goes Down' in it's entirety. Colour me impressed so far!

he/him
Lost In Japan. said:
Dices > Who Says

I would say the weakest track is We Own the Night but even that is perfectly nice.

Dices is way better than Who Says for sure! But I can't agree that We Own The Night is the weakest track. For me, That's More Like It is the worst track on the album by quite a large margin.

I really don't like 'Bang Bang Bang', for me it sounds amazingly cheap and a non-well produced demo. Don't know how she decided to put it out as a Promo single.

I really don't like 'Bang Bang Bang', for me it sounds amazingly cheap and a non-well produced demo. Don't know how she decided to put it out as a Promo single.

I agree. It's the one song I'd leave off the album. The only part I really like is the bridge where she goes 'on to the next one, on to the next one.'

Charley

Staff member
I like Who Says, but as has been mentioned it doesn't really fit and kind of ruins the flow.

We Own The Night is rather rubbish and there's something inexplicably annoying about That's More Like It despite there being nothing wrong with the instrumental. Perhaps it's those lyrics...

I usually listen to the album like this:

1. Love You Like A Song
2. Bang Bang Bang
3. Hit The Lights
4. Whiplash
5. When The Sun Goes Down
6. My Dilemma
7. Outlaw
8. Middle Of Nowhere

Then Who Says afterwards if I'm in the mood and the others after that if I'm really generous.

Similarly I always skip the start of the A Year Without Rain album to get to the good part.

As for Kiss & Tell, I still haven't figured how to sequence that mess of a tracklist. It's not that I don't like the album, it's that the order of songs makes no sense whatsoever.

Also, Hit The Lights is clearly the most amazing album track and with the right video it could be an epic single!

Where is this hate for We Own the Night coming from? I cannot stand for the bashing of such a brilliant song.

Selena has put together three brilliant albums. I'm not sure what the poster above means about skipping the beginning of 'A Year Without Rain' considering that the entire album is amazing bar Summer's Not Hot. With that said, I must agree about Hit the Lights. It's perfect.

Mvnl

Staff member
glennyfromtheblock said:
FINALLY got around to listening to Love You Like A Love Song. Colour me surprised - it's actually a really great track. I don't think I ever expected her music to sound like that, let alone her voice to not only be strong but so dirty and sultry. Who Says is a bit Disney pop for my liking, is there anything else in the more electro vein worth tracking down?

http://glennyfromtheblock.com/2011/...put-of-selena-gomez-isnt-exactly-awful-is-it/

Though Lovesong is undeniably the strongest track there the album's a lot more like that than like Who Says. And surprisingly strong as well (I didn't care a bit about Selena before this album either). Let me share my medley of the album one more time cause I really believe that's the best way to quickly judge if it's your thing. (don't be put off by the first songs though.. the tempo builds so the more boring songs are on the start)

Like true Selena style, the album is brilliant. I got it on the day of release, and it's been in my stereo ever since. On the album the one track I don't like as much is That's More Like It, just seems so cheesy. My overall favourite has to be Outlaw. Why so much hate for We Own The Night? It's one of the best on the album.

Charley

Staff member
Jonathan27 said:
I'm not sure what the poster above means about skipping the beginning of 'A Year Without Rain' considering that the entire album is amazing bar Summer's Not Hot.

I only got the album a while after its release, so the newness A Year Without Rain and Naturally had already worn off despite still being very much amazing. I usually start listening from Rock God and then put A Year Without Rain and Naturally at the end. The main one to skip is Round & Round though. It's not bad, but just doesn't seem to fit.

Also, what? Summer's Not Hot is one of my favourites from the album, haha!

Like true Selena style, the album is brilliant. I got it on the day of release, and it's been in my stereo ever since. On the album the one track I don't like as much is That's More Like It, just seems so cheesy. My overall favourite has to be Outlaw. Why so much hate for We Own The Night? It's one of the best on the album.

I'm right there with you on We Own the Night! It's brilliant; the music just sets such a carefree mood that reminds me a bit of Teenage Dream and I can just her sitting in a car on a hill during the night. I can't say enough good things.

Guess I'm the only one that loves "That's More Like It" then?

No, I love it too! It's not my favorite, but it's pretty great.

Also, what? Summer's Not Hot is one of my favourites from the album, haha!

Sorry; I don't hate it, but it's the weakest for me.

Mvnl

Staff member
I was so unimpressed by That's More Like It I completely forgot it while picking a worst song. Yes. It's worse than Who Says. Not just the lyrics but mainly the lazy rhyming and melody, it doesn't go anywhere.

Summer's Not Hot was my favourite on her last album after Naturally.

I was so unimpressed by That's More Like It I completely forgot it while picking a worst song. Yes. It's worse than Who Says. Not just the lyrics but mainly the lazy rhyming and melody, it doesn't go anywhere.

Summer's Not Hot was my favourite on her last album after Naturally.

I wasn't going to say anything, but Naturally was on her first album. Why is everyone saying it's on A Year Without Rain?

Mvnl

Staff member
Must have mistaken. Anyway, those two were the only 2 Selena songs I cared for before When The Sun Goes Down.

Status
Not open for further replies.