Self Esteem - Prioritise Pleasure | Page 7 | The Popjustice Forum

Self Esteem - Prioritise Pleasure

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by backstreetjoe, Jul 6, 2009.

1. I Do This All the Time has just fully clicked with me. Fuck.

cabirian likes this.
  2. 2014

2014 Staff Member

#11 is great for her/this album! Especially right at the beginning of Q4 - I hope she realises this after it all sinks in x

3. This album truly doesn't sound like anything else around at the moment. She'd better get a Brits nomination for this. Dare I say it, Madonna could do with listening to a record like this if she's looking for inspiration for a new album at some point (I say this as a huge fan of Rebel Heart and Madame X).

4. I wonder what her chances are, realistically. Adele and Arlo Parks are pretty much nailed on and I'd expect Little Simz and/or Laura Mvula in there too. Who else is there?

backstreetjoe likes this.
  5. I'm sure Laura Marling sneezed at some point so she's bound to be in there.

6. That was her side project LUMP; her last solo album came out April 2020. Although I'm sure they could make it eligible if they wanted, it is the Brits after all.

backstreetjoe likes this.
  7. God, I'm really getting Florence when she's at her best from this record, and the kind of brave direction I was expecting her to go into a couple of more albums down the line, instead of just turning into bloodless, sullen dad rock. Just feeling so much empathy for women and womanhood while listening to it all. On top of bopping!

8. Island

Island Staff Member

Arlo’s album was eligible and nominated for the last BRIT Awards.

9. Not me forgetting the Brits were in May this year! Would be nice if Rebecca did get in, if only for the bit of extra exposure.

10. Well, Flo posted a story on Instagram giving high praise to both the album and Rebecca, so it might, at the least, influence her a bit.

Future Lover likes this.
  11. Gutted the first 3 dates have been postponed, I was going to see her tomorrow with my friend in Newcastle. BUT obviously her health is important and she's obviously gutted as well.

Can't wait to hear this album LIVE.

12. I had never heard of her in my life until the insane reviews appeared (I knew of Slow Club once I read about the connection) so for this to come out of nowhere is a little strange for me. Not that I’m some oracle but I almost always have a finger on the pulse of who to keep an ear out for, pop-wise.

It’s a fascinating album I can’t listen to in one sitting? I keep getting distracted and somehow feel it’s the music doing it? In a strangely good way, like it’s giving me energy.

I Do This All The Time is stunning and You Forever knocks. The rest is slowly working it’s magic on me.

13. "Just Kids" is devastatingly beautiful.

14. The album was 26 copies shy of #10 - Popinjustice of the highest order, however the album remains incredible start to finish.

15. Rebecca graces the latest cover of Attitude. And here are the rescheduled dates, gutted I cant make the new Newcastle date.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  16. This is tapping into a similar vein as Blue Weekend, another album of the year shortlister, in the sense of carrying a sense of exhausted millennial yearning. But unlike that, it leans more into just being very fun. Fucking Wizardry and Moody are such infectious bops. And I think that contrast brings out the arresting quality of tracks like I Do This All The Time a lot more.

2014 likes this.

17. GOOD FOR HER!

Robert, SiduousIII, ItBeats and 10 others like this.
  18. This album is fantastic.

cabirian and BubblegumBoy like this.
  19. Island

Island Staff Member

Completely deserved!

BubblegumBoy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.