Selling your CD/record collection? | The Popjustice Forum

Selling your CD/record collection?

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Mvnl, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

So I've been tidying up a bit and got roughly 5000 CDs/singles I want to get rid of. (Still keeping my favourites)
    Discogs estimates the total worth is at least 6100 euro and at average 12000 (25000 at most??).
    Now it does feel like a waste to just bring it all to a second hand store to be done with it while I could possibly make some money of it.. but then I also don't see myself sending packages of 1 or 2 CDs for like 1 euro for months or even years..
    I think Discogs likely has the most proper collectors but the site does slightly intimidate me when it comes to making sure you send people the exactly right version (when sometimes I don't even see the difference)

Anyone got any experiences with this kind of thing?
    (also I'm in the netherlands, so local stores in the UK aren't going to help me...)

2. To make sure you file / own the correct version you should use the discogs app which lets you scan your CDs and then leads you to that exact listing.

3. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Does it always? Cause I already went by entering barcodes and then still there's sometimes several issues with the same code from different countries/having a slightly different code inscripted on the disc and things like that

4. Hey! I've been doing the same and having a sort through as I have lots of vinyl and cds that I want to sell.

I've listed mine on a site called Depop. Its great. You can decide on the sell price (I use Discogs to gage a price) and then you decide on postage. Also, they take their fee upon someone paying so you don't have a bill like you do with ebay.

It would be great to get people in this group and we can all share our links

Mvnl likes this.
  5. Pat

Pat

I would only put up the CDs that are worth a few bucks on Discogs. I've put CDs on there I didn't want anymore on Discogs, but some of them were just selling for 1EUR, and with shipping and the Discogs fee I just thought it wasn't really worth the hassle, so I unlisted them in the end (and kept what what's unsold), only selling the more valuable ones.

VivaForever and Mvnl like this.
  6. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah I guess a bulk sale might be my way to go. Cause there is a LOT of 1EUR material (most of it I even got from bargain bins to begin with) but with it being 100s or 1000s of items it still feels like it's worth... something?

7. I would happily buy in bulk, especially if UK based, to fill gaps in my collections of CD singles! None of the charity shops around here have any singles in, only albums!

Fotos_by_fox and Mvnl like this.
  8. Bulk sell the cheap stuff, and put some effort in for the more valuable items.

VivaForever and Mvnl like this.
  9. I’ve been flirting with the idea of downsizing my collection since I plan on streaming soon. Is eBay really that bad of a way to go?

Mvnl likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.