Sherlock Holmes [2009] | The Popjustice Forum

Sherlock Holmes [2009]

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by sifr, May 19, 2009.

1. Yes. I am looking very forward to this!

2. I din't know this was coming out, but it does look good.

3. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

I just saw this, it was fantastic.

4. I wanna see! RDJ is delicious

5. Just got back from seeing it. Very, very good.

I went to see it with my father, with whom I went to London in May '08 -- we visited 221B Baker Street during our visit, and when the man playing Watson asked where we were from, we said 'New Jersey,' and he launched into this whole tale about Irene Adler, since she was also from New Jersey. So I was glad to see Irene in this movie, although I wasn't particularly thrilled with Rachel McAdams if I'm being honest. Not surprisingly, Robert Downey Jr is fantastic, and Jude Law is quite capable as Dr. Watson.

I did spend the entire movie looking for the 'bromance or possibly more' subtext, though. I fear I may be beyond help.

6. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

I didn't expect much in the way of homoerotic subtext in a Guy Ritchie film, but I think there was some there.

Either that or I imagined it and I am also beyond help.

7. Tribal Spaceman

Tribal Spaceman Oh, OK.

It's funny, it looks like yet another period fantasy box office disaster and they look nothing like Holmes and Watson, so I am surprised to hear that this is so good and will have to see it soon.

8. I've just got back from seeing this and really didn't think much of it. The first three quarters of it seemed to drag and the only time that my attention was piqued (when they were underneath Parliament), it reverted back to dragging again. I also found the constant jokes and the like a little grating after a while.

9. I really enjoyed this. Couple of moments where the pace dragged, but otherwise Guy Ritchie got it bang on. RDJs accent was ludicrous but he is a fabulous scene stealer, MS was a great baddie, Jude held his own, Rachel M could have had a bigger part. Loved the action, flashbacks and deduction. Made me want to run out and buy a Jonathan Creek boxset.

10. I wanted to like it (lobe RDJ and Mark Strong), but it's basically League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 2: Revenge of the Fallen

11. haha I still havent summoned up courage to watch T2 yet. It was WAY better than the execrable League. RDJ cant put a foot wrong for me. Apart from Tropic Thunder. Oh, and cringemaking Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. And of course the deeply annoying Mel Gibson helicopter one.

12. I just got back from watching this - it was alright. At certain points I could help but think Robert Downey Jnr was trying too hard to be like Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean with his eccentricities and facial expressions.

I enjoyed Irene Adler at the start when she was like POW POW MOTHAFUCKA but then she kind of simmered down and became just another typical female character.

All in all, it was good to kill a couple of hours but I'm not in a hurry to watch it again.

13. Is Mark Strong capable of playing any other character other than a villain? He's basically played the same character in every film I've ever seen him in.

14. potatosalad

potatosalad Guest

Saw it yesterday. It was alright, I actually thought some of the CGI (especially the ship and reel thing falling into the Thames) looked really cheap and the plot was really weak. Would have made a great ITV drama, but as a film? Just didn't push my buttons.

15. I saw this yesterday and thought it was OK....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.