She's Marina, We're The Diamonds, And That Was The Rate [Finalized] | Page 69 | The Popjustice Forum

She's Marina, We're The Diamonds, And That Was The Rate [Finalized]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Phonetics Boy, Aug 11, 2019.

1. "Fear and Loathing" was my lowest remaining score, so it's good to see it leave at this point.
    What's so impressive about it is how it can serve both as the opener of the "Electra Heart" era and as a closer of the album.

And I'm sad that "Power & Control" just missed the top 10 (actually, missed the top 5), it's a brilliant and so well-crafted song. Those piano and synths during the chorus!
    I would've given it a 10 now, it's such a tune. I keep saying this, but @londonrain, that's another amazing 11!

I just realized how many typos I've made in my commentary.

2. Honestly, Marina in the black dress sitting in front of the chair in the Power & Control video is one of the biggest images from the entire era for me. Those scenes are the first things I think of when I think of that era.
    [​IMG]
    Like other people have said, the middle 8 and the ending "You can't have peace without a war" echoing absolutely make the song. The lyrics of the verses let it down a little bit for me. The lower harmonies in the second halves of the verses are divine. Sometimes I wish she'd use her lower register a bit more.

3. Ideal top 10:

1. Primadonna
    2. Froot
    3. Oh No!
    4. Radioactive
    5. Teen Idle
    6. Hollywood
    7. Blue
    8. Obsessions
    9. I'm a Ruin
    10. I Am Not a Robot

"I'm a Ruin" and "I Am Not a Robot" are overrated.

Almost all of my 10's are gone, so I only care about "Primadonna" and "Froot" now.

4. Power and Control is absolutely gorgeous and I don't really get the hate for it from the low scorers. That and Oh No! are the two songs I'd point someone towards if I wanted to introduce them to Marina - they make the most of her voice and the harmonies, instrumentation, production and arrangement all come together beautifully.

5. In a perfect world I'd like to see an All-FROOT Final 3. Any of them could win.

1. I'm a Ruin
    2. Froot
    3. Blue
    4. Oh No!
    5. Radioactive
    6. I Am Not a Robot
    7. Obsessions
    8. Teen Idle
    9. Hollywood
    10. Primadonna

Primadonna's gotta go. A Dr. Luke-by-numbers is not Marina's lasting contribution to the world.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Phonetics Boy likes this.
  6. Pretty great Top 10

10. Blue
    9. I'm a Ruin
    8. Froot
    7. I Am Not a Robot
    6. Radioactive
    5. Primadonna
    4. Hollywood
    3. Oh No!
    2. Teen Idle
    1. Obsessions

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  7. My 11 keeps being put at #10 or #1 by people so now I'm expecting it to flop bigtime.

8. Well, if I'm A Ruin doesn't win, then at least Marina gets another entry in the Winners' Rate (unless Radioactive wins instead, which seems unlikely).

9. 10. Hermit the Frog
    9. Guilty
    8. E.V.O.L.
    7. Living Dead (original leaked demo)
    6. Bubblegum Bitch
    5. Sex, Yeah (original leaked demo)
    4. Shampain
    3. Sinful
    2. Miss Y
    1. The Archetypes

stuaw, soratami, happiestgirl and 8 others like this.
  10. Hey hey, there were probably some people that didn't know what my 11 was yet ddd.

11. Mess.

12. "Starring Role" was eliminated at #18, unfortunately. "Hollywood" is still here.

Phonetics Boy and londonrain like this.
  13. What's Blue still doing here, especially over Lies and Power & Control? Make it make sense.

14. Blue is a flawless pop song.

15. I like how the top 10 is fairly balanced between all three albums

That is, however, about to change...

[​IMG]

(-0.13)

11: @tylerc904
    Highest: 10x20 (@mokitsu, @Bangers&Bops, @soratami, @Miyawakiwi, @əʊæ, @AllGagaLike, @pop3blow2, @DJHazey, @VitaminBee, @Pecans, @maverick_79, @RUNAWAY, @Kenny, @londonrain, @ABoy’sGot2Suffer4Fashion, @Oleander, @sfmartin, @SlowGinFizzzz, @Maki, @Cutlery)
    Lowest: 3x1 (@alejandrusco)​

Primadonna is great for a song produced by a trash can. Like, it’s not even that dated. Post-second chorus, when it accelerates? Joyous. Vocals? Well balanced between playfulness and desperation. Lyrics? Can be taken at face value as a parody of a certain archetype, but they get even better if we look at them as a self-criticism, a reflection of a popstar embracing vanity and the need for validation, others’ feelings be damned. Basically Numb but make it bop. Let’s be pathetic and twirl in our vacuous self-centeredness while the lights dim down!

@Vixen (6,5): "I honestly don't think this is a great as people pretend it is, but a 7 is still a good song in my books. Lyrically it doesn't quite reach the heights of the rest of the album, and the production hasn't exactly aged all that well in opinion. Again, a solid 7 for the melodies, but that's it."

@Verandi (7): "I have always hoped that the robotic farts would have clicked with time, but as the years pass they just get worse. A bit of a shame, because underneath the production there's a great song. The "quiet chorus, noisy verses, final combined chorus" formula grew old pretty fast didn't it; Hold It Against Me is the closest thing to this I'm remmebering right now, and time was kinder to that one."

@abael (8): "Marinas vocals help the track stand out, but I don't know if I agree with some of her choices."

@imaduck (8): "basic bop"

@OspreyQueen (8): "I’ve noticed a lot of fans aren’t keen on this one because it was local-pandering or whatever, but I bet they still get their life to it when it comes up on the album. It’s got so many iconic and instantly-memorable lyrics which set Marina apart from all the other pop girls of 2012. And the production is the perfect level of bubbly and sugary for the song’s subject matter, and have actually aged pretty damn well for dubstep-pop."

@Trouble in Paradise (8.5): "The amount of times I completely got my life to this at the gay clerb is innumerable! Marina's most successful attempt at bending her style towards the mainstream without losing what makes her so special. The lyrics are Electra Heart gold and her vocals are, typically, gorgeous. I'm just not quite sure how I feel about that big crunchy synth in 2019."

@Sprockrooster (9): "A banger. Bit cheap and basic, what do I care? I am bopping."

@Music Is Life (9.5): "Love the opening guitar with her vocals and love the way it turns into an electro BOP."

@Dijah. (9.5): "A CLASSIC that influenced a generation."

@babes aloud (9.9): "I remember someone saying we should all go live in New Zealand because they have taste. This was a #4 hit there. What is the rest of the world's problem? Also catch the 'Oh No' moment in the video."

@sfmartin (10): "A fantastic comeback single. Addictive pop. Although I really would have liked a proper explosive chorus a little bit earlier on."

@Bangers&Bops (10): "To me is this is one of the best pop songs of all time. Yeah the production is a little dated but its catchy af and the music video just makes this a total SHOOT. Madonna’s Material Girl but made for ~Millenials ~. I stan."

@Miyawakiwi (10): "this was such a moment! And that build up to the last chorus… i was speechless."

@pop3blow2 (10): "This a perfect a pop song."

@DJHazey (10): "Everything about this is such a perfect big-pop moment and it's a shame the public didn't take to it like they should of. I mean, this should be talked about as one of the biggest releases of the century. All of Marina's 'posh' vocals, the "YEAH" and "WOW" exclamations, and her playful lines like "I really don't know why it's such a big deal though" never ever get old, nor should they. The synths cranking up during the verses and later for just the final chorus are great examples of genius songcraft. The character she plays in the video was such a "starstruck" deal for me when I first laid eyes on her. I kind of developed a crush on her persona that day and it never went away. I know the narrative of the song doesn't really apply to her as a person, but I always imagine it being that case whenever I listen to it and that really works for me...putting Marina up a unreachable pedestal like that."

@Pecans (10): "The release of Primadonna felt like such a moment. She had everyone talking. The star quality, the theatrics, the campiness. You don’t get a better British pop bop than Primadonna. Truly the best of British."

@Cutlery (10): "Is it a little dated? Is it a little gross to listen to because whom its creation is associated with? Do I still get my faux narcissistic life shaking to Primadonna Girl? The answer for these questions is all yes. A moment, an awakening, a STATEMENT for my thirteen year old self back when it was released."

@Maki (10): "Ah, the memories... I vividly remember coming across this song and being blown away by it. I had no idea who Marina (and who the Diamonds) were at the time, and didn't have a clue what Electra Heart was supposed to mean. In fact, the blond hair, the heart on the cheek and the vintage vibe of the video - I thought all of that was a part of Marina's signature style. The song and the music video were my main focus at the time, because I never heard anything similar sonically - so distinctive and unique melodically, bat having strong EDM influences. Furthermore, I fell in love with her in that music video, she looked so gorgeous with blond hair, I was convinced she's one of the most beautiful women in the world, only to be disappointed finding out she had black hair in other videos (seriously, this was part of the reason I didn't bother with the rest of her music, what the hell was with me). When it comes to the song itself, it's a pop perfection. There's no discussion about how memorable, signature and well crafted as a whole it is. And, there I was, listening to her discography five years after discovering this song. This was nearly my 11, not only because of the major nostalgia, but it's a such a wonder of a song, too. It would've been amazing and a total full-circle moment to see this win."

Rem, Vixen, Sally_Harper and 34 others like this.
  16. Fuck Dr.Luke for staining so many songs for me and not letting me listen to Kim Petras.

17. [​IMG]

I gave it a nostalgia 10 but I'm happy with this x

Vixen, stuaw, Phonetics Boy and 2 others like this.
  18. Whoops, thanks for pointing that out, fixed my post.

19. Primadonna (9) is pretty great to this day. I always find it odd that it gets maligned so much on PJ, but then maybe it's the Dr. Luke connection. The whole thing just goes hell-for-leather and Marina's maniacal vocals just add to the bizarre concoction. Brilliant stuff.

My personal order for what was left in the top 10 would probably be:

10. Teen Idle
    9. Radioactive
    8. Hollywood
    7. Oh No!
    6. Primadonna
    5. Blue
    4. Obsessions
    3. I Am Not A Robot
    2. Froot
    1. I'm A Ruin

Music Is Life and Phonetics Boy like this.
  20. Primadonna for me is the one song where Electra Heart the character is fully front and centre on the album. Every other song could be on a Marina album that doesn't have a character behind it, but Primadonna is Electra through and through.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.