She's Marina, We're The Diamonds, And That Was The Rate [Finalized] | Page 75 | The Popjustice Forum

She's Marina, We're The Diamonds, And That Was The Rate [Finalized]

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Phonetics Boy, Aug 11, 2019.

1. This is not right. Much like Obsessions, this is in Marina's DNA. Whilst I'm not the hugest Family Jewels apologist (apparently), there are a few songs on there which are completely essential. This is one of them. Love it (hence the 10).

Should've been top 5, babs!

Also incorrect. Should've been out at least 20 places ago. So boring. A 6 is generous.

Blue is grand. Of my four 10s on Froot, it's probably bottom of my list, but fuck me it's awesome.

I suspect I'm A Ruin has suffered from being seriously torpedoed by its detractors for the crime of winning the 2015 rate. Which is fine. We all know it will be remembered as her best song (without Clean Bandit, of course).

Radioactive should not still be here. Nor should Oh No, fun though it is. Hence Froot for the win.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2019
  2. There are many words I would use to describe Teen Idle. Boring ain't one of them.

3. Lyrically no. Sonically yes.

londonrain, Verandi and Phonetics Boy like this.
  4. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

A song can fall in line with the trends of its time without being actively "trend-chasing" or whatever. A lot of forum-favourite songs were made to fit in with the pop landscape of the time, but they endured this long because they're just really good songs at a fundamental level. Trends only become a problem when songwriters use them as an excuse to write crap songs.

Crisp X, evilsin, pop3blow2 and 12 others like this.
  5. No idea if this is an unpopular opinion or general consensus, but my main problem with Love + Fear isn't the trend-chasing, it's her voice. Her higher register can be lovely in moderation, and even quite forceful when she puts her mind to it (thinking mainly of the propulsive angel howls of E.V.O.L.), but she sings everything on that album, even could-be-bops, in this awful little simpering coo, making a wet album even wetter than it might have been. There's no reason a song like, say, 'Superstar' should sound like she warmed up by singing the "you're just a little BEEBEE!" part of 'I Am Not a Robot' and somehow got her voice stuck up there.

'Radioactive' is nowhere near her best (like just about every track on Electra Heart, it sounds like she forgot to write a chorus and just murmured something off the top of her head) but Love + Fear wishes it had anything as full-blooded as that "NEON GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLD" middle 8.

6. What the... this is a shock. Radioactive needs to go... NOW! I can’t believe I’m A Ruin is out. It’s perfection.

7. This crossed my mind the other day as well.

Her voice is the main attraction on her other albums. The power, the theatrics, the range!

It’s a travesty how under-used it is on Love + Fear.

Froot should win this by the way.

8. Our lovely host with a 5 and 7.5 back-to-back to two of FROOT's best?

[​IMG]

It's got to be the title-track now which would be a nice ending, but since Radioactive almost pulled it off last time, I'm betting it'll win. But then again Oh No! almost did too, so I really don't know.

9. Wasn't Baby your 11?

10. I think I forgot how 'Radioactive' even goes dddd

Phonetics Boy likes this.
  11. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

Was the current thread title the working title to Marina’s latest album? Just wondering.

12. Okay, despite being someone who also has "I'm a Ruin" in their personal Marina Top 10, people do the absolute most over that song. It performed well in a previous Marina rate anyways. After all, it won if I'm not mistaken.

Let people's opinions change and move onto other slightly better songs.

13. No way Froot isn't winning at this point.

We love to see it

[​IMG]

Music Is Death, evilsin, Maki and 4 others like this.
  14. I too root for froot oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

15. Radioactive would've been my 11 if I remembered to get my scores in instead of procrastinating my re-listen of Love + Fear despite the deadline extension and everything so I'm glad to see it thriving.

16. How are the Love + Fear outtakes so much better even tagged within an inch of their lives and in Chinese Artpop leak quality? Except Cruel. That's a little too Keisha Buchanan ca. 2011.

Untouchable Ace likes this.
  17. Yes.

Because it's amazing.

Froot for the win.

Phonetics Boy and Maki like this.
  18. [​IMG]

Phonetics Boy likes this.
  19. I was about to call both "Blue" and "I'm a Ruin", so it's great to see them going back-to-back.

I don't really get the fuss about these two. Okay, "Blue" is very poppy (a bit too much poppy for me) and catchy, so it's reasonably well received, but the chorus lacks a bit of a punch and kind of plods along instead of exploding. Still, it's a great song.

But "I'm a Ruin" is probably one of the most confusingly popular and praised songs on this forum. I will never hear what's so special about it. Yeah, the post chorus is excellent and the lyrics are really nice, but the rest? Just above average. Sonically, it's similar to "Weeds", which went more than 30 eliminations ago (of course that one is weaker, but they both share the guitar and same vibe), which makes it confusing, too. The melody is something that leaves me indifferent, until it hits that amazing post-chorus. Literally in my bottom 3 songs from "FROOT".
    Nice to see that I'm not the only one who finds it overrated.

"Froot" should win this. My only remaining 10 since "Primadonna" was eliminated.

And I love how the top 3 consist of a song from all three album, just like in the previous rate. Poor "LOVE + FEAR", or not?

Ideal top 3:
    1. Froot
    2. Oh No!
    3. Radioactive

I gave the same score to "Oh No!" and "Radioactive", so it's not that important which one will miss the finale, because both equally deserve the top 3 (even though "Froot" is much better than both of them).

20. See if you find a bigger GIF next time, I don't think Marina all the way in America saw it from here.

RUNAWAY and Phonetics Boy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.